bricked? Help understanding s1tool output (Hard bricked?)

Search This thread

ostatit

Jan 19, 2014
Hello, I have problems with a u20i x10 mini pro.

I tried resetting with pccompanion, as well as flashing stock firmware (no error in flashtool log), but phone enters a sort of bootloop, without even arriving to SE logo. Only, display gets light, but nothing is displayed. Phone sometimes vibrates, when power button is pressed. No led light seen.
This is s1tool output:
Code:
18.01.2014 01:12:33 RUNNING S1_EROM VER "R8A027" 
18.01.2014 01:12:33 SOFTWARE AID: 0001 
18.01.2014 01:12:33 LOADER AID: 0001 
18.01.2014 01:12:35 FLASH ID: "00EC/00BC" 
18.01.2014 01:12:35 LOADER VERSION: "R4A045" 
18.01.2014 01:12:35   
18.01.2014 01:12:35 MODEL (from GDFS): U20i 
18.01.2014 01:12:35 SOFTWARE VERSION: 1235-3411_2.0.A.0.504 
18.01.2014 01:12:35 CUSTOM VERSION: 1238-0199_R3B 
18.01.2014 01:12:35 FILESYSTEM VERSION: WORLD-1-8_2.0.A.0.504 
18.01.2014 01:12:35 SERIAL NO: CB511KWV7E 
18.01.2014 01:12:35   
18.01.2014 01:12:35 SEMC SIMLOCK CERTIFICATE 
18.01.2014 01:12:35 Elapsed:6 secs.
Is it possible to judge the state of the system from this log? Is it hard bricked, soft bricked or suffers some hardware damage?

Thanks

Last edited:

SmG67

May 2, 2012
Hello, I have problems with a u20i x10 mini pro.

I tried resetting with pccompanion, as well as flashing stock firmware (no error in flashtool log), but phone enters a sort of bootloop, without even arriving to SE logo. Only, display gets light, but nothing is displayed. Phone sometimes vibrates, when power button is pressed. No led light seen.
This is s1tool output:

Is it possible to judge the state of the system from this log? Is it hard bricked, soft bricked or suffers some hardware damage?

Thanks

It's not hardbricked, in a hardbrick you don't get any responses from the phone. I think maybe your flex is broken, that's the ribbon cable that connects the screen to the rest of the phone. Other than that, i wouldn't know why it's not working properly.

ostatit

Jan 19, 2014
It's not hardbricked, in a hardbrick you don't get any responses from the phone. I think maybe your flex is broken, that's the ribbon cable that connects the screen to the rest of the phone. Other than that, i wouldn't know why it's not working properly.

Thanks mate, then I'm opening it tomorrow (I just don't have any tools with me right now).
Just another couple of questions before opening:
1) I would have expected the phone to turn on and without the display (and hence, be available via usb), instead of continuosly rebooting. Am I wrong?
2) does the ribbon cable brake, or sometimes just detach from the board?

thanks again (for the info as well as for the prompt answer)

SmG67

May 2, 2012
Thanks mate, then I'm opening it tomorrow (I just don't have any tools with me right now).
Just another couple of questions before opening:
1) I would have expected the phone to turn on and without the display (and hence, be available via usb), instead of continuosly rebooting. Am I wrong?
2) does the ribbon cable brake, or sometimes just detach from the board?

thanks again (for the info as well as for the prompt answer)

Well... as for nr.1, you do get a response from your phone in S1Tool, so that is ok, and if it was booted you would have to turn on usb-connection from the status-bar in order for it to connect as mass storage :) The screen not working prevents you from doing that. On the other hand, the drivers for the screen and the digitizer may give a fatal sort of error because they can't connect, resulting in the kernel stopping the boot. Both are sort of guesses on my part but may explain your problem.

As for nr. 2, It usually breaks :) It's the most common hardware failure on the U20.

ostatit

Jan 19, 2014
Well... as for nr.1, you do get a response from your phone in S1Tool, so that is ok, and if it was booted you would have to turn on usb-connection from the status-bar in order for it to connect as mass storage :) The screen not working prevents you from doing that. On the other hand, the drivers for the screen and the digitizer may give a fatal sort of error because they can't connect, resulting in the kernel stopping the boot. Both are sort of guesses on my part but may explain your problem.

As for nr. 2, It usually breaks :) It's the most common hardware failure on the U20.

I see... and, please correct me if I am wrong, a broken flex cable could explain the led off while charging and while flashing, right? but, isn't also the "back" key connected through the flex, in the end? just for my information, I don't mean to test your knowledge :)

another couple of questions:
3) do I need to disassmble both the lower (the one of the battery) and the upper (the "display" one ) parts, to check the flex, or can I just concentrate on the upper one?
4) I suppose there is no way to repair the flex, if is is broken....

thanks for the valuable information!

SmG67

May 2, 2012
I see... and, please correct me if I am wrong, a broken flex cable could explain the led off while charging and while flashing, right? but, isn't also the "back" key connected through the flex, in the end? just for my information, I don't mean to test your knowledge :)

another couple of questions:
3) do I need to disassmble both the lower (the one of the battery) and the upper (the "display" one ) parts, to check the flex, or can I just concentrate on the upper one?
4) I suppose there is no way to repair the flex, if is is broken....

thanks for the valuable information!

Yes, it would mean the led wouldn't get any power, but the flex is a parallel cable, with lots of wires connecting various parts, they may not all be broken, so you might still be able to use the keys, or with some people, half the screen sometimes.

As for the disassembly, there are tutorials and videos you can follow, just search them on google. And a new flex-cable is quite inexpensive, a few quid should buy you one.

ostatit

Jan 19, 2014
Yes, it would mean the led wouldn't get any power, but the flex is a parallel cable, with lots of wires connecting various parts, they may not all be broken, so you might still be able to use the keys, or with some people, half the screen sometimes.

As for the disassembly, there are tutorials and videos you can follow, just search them on google. And a new flex-cable is quite inexpensive, a few quid should buy you one.

short (useless) update: I have not found a T6 torx yet....

ostatit

Jan 19, 2014
short (useless) update: I have not found a T6 torx yet....

... it is definitely the ribbon. Half cut.
I'm considering buying a new one... but, before, another couple of questions :)

is the flex glued onto the metal plate? Do I have to destroy the old one? (and that would explain why all the video guides end without "disassembling" the flex ;) do I need any special tool to attach the new one (assuming that I am really going to do the job ;) )?

thanks!

ostatit

Jan 19, 2014
... it is definitely the ribbon. Half cut.
I'm considering buying a new one... but, before, another couple of questions :)

is the flex glued onto the metal plate? Do I have to destroy the old one? (and that would explain why all the video guides end without "disassembling" the flex ;) do I need any special tool to attach the new one (assuming that I am really going to do the job ;) )?

thanks!

Alright, I made it :)

I received the new ribbon and put it in operation :)
Actually, I need a couple of further suggestions:

1) how do I fix the ribbon in the right position? Do I need to glue it? When I open the keyboard, I have the feeling that it always "crashes" against the ribbon...
2) How do I solve the sim-lock?

Thanks

SmG67

May 2, 2012
Alright, I made it :)

I received the new ribbon and put it in operation :)
Actually, I need a couple of further suggestions:

1) how do I fix the ribbon in the right position? Do I need to glue it? When I open the keyboard, I have the feeling that it always "crashes" against the ribbon...
2) How do I solve the sim-lock?

Thanks

I don't know if you need to glue it, maybe you could even use some tape to stick it, roughly in the same place where the old one was attached, if that was attached at all.

Secondly: What about the sim-lock? Do you mean it's locked to one particular provider, without accepting other sim-cards? Or do you mean the code you have to fill in before the phone is booted up?

ostatit

Jan 19, 2014
I don't know if you need to glue it, maybe you could even use some tape to stick it, roughly in the same place where the old one was attached, if that was attached at all.

alright, I will consider, thanks!
Secondly: What about the sim-lock? Do you mean it's locked to one particular provider, without accepting other sim-cards? Or do you mean the code you have to fill in before the phone is booted up?

well, it asks for a
"SIM network unlock PIN"...

SmG67

May 2, 2012
alright, I will consider, thanks!

well, it asks for a
"SIM network unlock PIN"...

Right... that is a sim-lock... either use a sim-card from the provider the phone is locked to, or ask that provider for an emma/imei code in order to unlock it. This is usually free after the initial contract period. The only other way is to use a paid service to unlock it.

ostatit

Jan 19, 2014
Right... that is a sim-lock... either use a sim-card from the provider the phone is locked to, or ask that provider for an emma/imei code in order to unlock it. This is usually free after the initial contract period. The only other way is to use a paid service to unlock it.
Verdammt, ok... Point is, I got the phone in a "flohmarkt", so I have really no idea of the provider.
Cheeky question: are the ones you mentioned the only possible solutions, or is it possible that there is some "grey zone" way to do the job, described around the internet, which I shall look for by myself? :)

SmG67

May 2, 2012
Verdammt, ok... Point is, I got the phone in a "flohmarkt", so I have really no idea of the provider.
Cheeky question: are the ones you mentioned the only possible solutions, or is it possible that there is some "grey zone" way to do the job, described around the internet, which I shall look for by myself? :)

It can be done over the internet, but everyone who offers that service will demand money for it. The only really free way ( and the safest way if you want to unlock the bootloader and play with custom kernels and roms ) is the code from the provider. There isn't some sort of logo or sticker inside that will identify the provider? Come to think of it, there should be a model-sticker inside with an SI number on it in the format of: 1238-2562 (that's my number, SE original Customised UK black ) One of those two numbers is usually a provider-code you can look up on the internet. I wish you good luck :)

(And flohmarkt is german for flee-market (usually american english), or car-bootsale (more commonly used in the UK)

ostatit

Jan 19, 2014
It can be done over the internet, but everyone who offers that service will demand money for it. The only really free way ( and the safest way if you want to unlock the bootloader and play with custom kernels and roms ) is the code from the provider. There isn't some sort of logo or sticker inside that will identify the provider? Come to think of it, there should be a model-sticker inside with an SI number on it in the format of: 1238-2562 (that's my number, SE original Customised UK black ) One of those two numbers is usually a provider-code you can look up on the internet. I wish you good luck :)

(And flohmarkt is german for flee-market (usually american english), or car-bootsale (more commonly used in the UK)

Well mate, again many thanks for all the pieces of valuable informations you provided... just found that my SI is 1238-8583, which is (googling not too far away from here ;) ) Mobilkom A1 AT/Black. I am going to visit them ...

(ah, yeah, sure flohmarkt is german... I did not mean to hurt anybody with the germanism, I just thought it was used abroad too, like e.g. "doppelgaenger". Btw I am not german mother language :) )

ostatit

Jan 19, 2014
Well mate, again many thanks for all the pieces of valuable informations you provided... just found that my SI is 1238-8583, which is (googling not too far away from here ;) ) Mobilkom A1 AT/Black. I am going to visit them ...

(ah, yeah, sure flohmarkt is german... I did not mean to hurt anybody with the germanism, I just thought it was used abroad too, like e.g. "doppelgaenger". Btw I am not german mother language :) )

unbelievable... Here in Austria A1 demands 50 euros for unlocking a 2 years old mobile (with receipt), or 150 euros without receipt (indipendently from the age). this is unreasonable. Is this legal? Has anybody suggestions? Thanks

Last edited:

SmG67

May 2, 2012
unbelievable... Here in Austria A1 demands 50 euros for unlocking a 2 years old mobile (with receipt), or 150 euros without receipt (indipendently from the age). this is unreasonable. Is this legal? Has anybody suggestions? Thanks

I have no idea if that is legal, but since the Austrian government isn't reprimanding them I guess they are within the legal limits of doing so. The 'normal' thing to do though, is to do it for free after the initial contract period is over, since the phone is paid off by then, and there's really no need to keep it tied to your own network.

I can somewhat understand the difference between the receipt and non-receipt prices, they don't want to make it worth while for stolen phones to be used any longer. (Not that i'm saying your phone is stolen, but they can't know without the receipt).

I suggested doing it through them because it is usually free, but since you'll have to pay for it, You could try something like Omnius. They are a paid service, but they should be cheaper than the provider in this case.

ostatit

Jan 19, 2014
The 'normal' thing to do though, is to do it for free after the initial contract period is over, since the phone is paid off by then, and there's really no need to keep it tied to your own network.
well, that would have really made sense...

I suggested doing it through them because it is usually free,
actually, it is like that in quite a lot of countries (after a couple of years): in a quick search I have read that also for Switzerland, Italy, ...

You could try something like Omnius. They are a paid service, but they should be cheaper than the provider in this case.
Alright, thanks again!
(Still, I think that 50 euros to let people use a 3-year old mobile phone is quite a nice present to phone makers...)

SmG67

May 2, 2012
(Still, I think that 50 euros to let people use a 3-year old mobile phone is quite a nice present to phone makers...)

Not to the phone-makers, a nice present to themselves, making money of a phone that's already paid for, and the only thing they have to do in return is e-mail a code they've got stored in a database.

They are hoping you'll go for a new phone (and contract) which would make a nice present for them AND a phone-maker :) It's win-win for them, apart from the fact that you're now pissed off and will never go for them as a provider in your life :)

ostatit

Jan 19, 2014
Not to the phone-makers, a nice present to themselves, making money of a phone that's already paid for, and the only thing they have to do in return is e-mail a code they've got stored in a database.

They are hoping you'll go for a new phone (and contract) which would make a nice present for them AND a phone-maker :) It's win-win for them, apart from the fact that you're now pissed off and will never go for them as a provider in your life :)

:( very bad news from my small mobile phone :(

I had always had the feeling that I assemblied quite fast and not really well, so I decided to open it again and fix the ribbon with some glue... long story short, it does not work at all! No reaction at power on button, no reaction on linux (lsusb used to show a device, when the ribbon was broken), no reaction from s1tool... I fear I really broke something, this time... do you still have some suggestion for this case of "no response at all"? I actually don't think I ruined the ribbon with the glue (which was my first guess), but I don't know what to consider now... :(