[Q] HTC One eats charger cables

Search This thread

Surreptor

Jun 6, 2013
Hey everyone

So, I have a bit of a problem... My HTC One keeps destroying every charger cable I'm using, sooner or later. I've tried about 5 or 6 different chargers, including 3 original chargers, and as you might understand this is getting pretty expensive (especially as original chargers are priced around 20.- in Switzerland).

I'm gonna spare you the details, but there are a few things that might be interesting to anyone who wants to help.

The progress is always the same: First, the phone is charging only when sth. is weighing the connector down (this is something many of my HTC One-owning friends are complaining about, too). Next, the phone will charge only when the cable is bent behind the back of the phone. This will work for some time, until the phone refuses to charge when plugged into the wall and can only be charged by trickle charging it from a USB port (which is what I'm currently doing). Here, the cycle is repeated, only that this time the cable dies entirely.

Curiously enough, this happens with every charger and, as it seems, the deterioration quickens with each new cable.

Also, what usually happens pretty quickly is that the connector doesn't lock into place anymore. I have cleaned the port multiple times following instructions from Youtube videos, but to no avail.

Since my phone is rooted, I unfortunately can't just go to my provider and ask them for a new phone. They'll probably blame it on the software or whatever... Also, I recently dropped my phone and it left a few scratches on the top, which would void my warranty even if the rooting wouldn't already have done so. Just my luck, I suppose... :rolleyes:

Hopefully anybody has a similar problem or a suggestion. Lemme know if you do! :)

Regards,

Surreptor aka Jannik

clsA

Aug 28, 2010
Central Florida
Hey everyone

Since my phone is rooted, I unfortunately can't just go to my provider and ask them for a new phone. They'll probably blame it on the software or whatever... Also, I recently dropped my phone and it left a few scratches on the top, which would void my warranty even if the rooting wouldn't already have done so. Just my luck, I suppose... :rolleyes:

Hopefully anybody has a similar problem or a suggestion. Lemme know if you do! :)

Regards,

Surreptor aka Jannik

Use this Guide to return to Stock and do a warranty replacement

dbz5as

Apr 22, 2011
It looks like you have 2 problems. The first one is the microusb port has been damaged. This has happened to me on another phone and it would explain why the wire is sliding out. For this reason, you might consider replacing it under warranty. The second problem seems to be tension in the charging wire. I do not know how you have charging setup, but I am guessing that the outlet is far away and you are stretching the cable to make it to the phone. This could cause the wire to have discontinuity (why you have to bend it to short the discontinuity and resume charging) and the microusb port to get damaged. I would recommend getting a longer wire if this is the case.

Last edited:

LibertyMarine

Sep 26, 2013
Hey everyone

So, I have a bit of a problem... My HTC One keeps destroying every charger cable I'm using, sooner or later. I've tried about 5 or 6 different chargers, including 3 original chargers, and as you might understand this is getting pretty expensive (especially as original chargers are priced around 20.- in Switzerland).

I'm gonna spare you the details, but there are a few things that might be interesting to anyone who wants to help.

The progress is always the same: First, the phone is charging only when sth. is weighing the connector down (this is something many of my HTC One-owning friends are complaining about, too). Next, the phone will charge only when the cable is bent behind the back of the phone. This will work for some time, until the phone refuses to charge when plugged into the wall and can only be charged by trickle charging it from a USB port (which is what I'm currently doing). Here, the cycle is repeated, only that this time the cable dies entirely.

Curiously enough, this happens with every charger and, as it seems, the deterioration quickens with each new cable.

Also, what usually happens pretty quickly is that the connector doesn't lock into place anymore. I have cleaned the port multiple times following instructions from Youtube videos, but to no avail.

Regards,

Surreptor aka Jannik

ok, where did you buy if from ?

I bought it at Microspot and they replaced it twice...

Both times, I was S OFF, LOCKED Bootloader and stock recovery using a RUU...

The second time I even had a "bülä/näggi" on my phone... they replaced it on warranty...
I had the purple tint camera issue D:

Surreptor

Jun 6, 2013
Re: HTC One eats charger cables

Thanks for your response :)

I bought it at the Orange store in Winti, but if you get any helpful advice or in this case even a new device always depends on the clerk...

Also, I'm kinda worried how they would react to the fact that I noticed the issue already months ago. :rolleyes:

Anyway. I'll wait until my current cable breaks down, too. Perhaps in the meantime somebody else has an idea :)

LibertyMarine

Sep 26, 2013

I bought it at the Orange store in Winti, but if you get any helpful advice or in this case even a new device always depends on the clerk...

Also, I'm kinda worried how they would react to the fact that I noticed the issue already months ago. :rolleyes:

Anyway. I'll wait until my current cable breaks down, too. Perhaps in the meantime somebody else has an idea :)

ok... first, you are not allowed to tell them that you noticed this issue months ago..

look at OR Art. 201/3

3. Ergeben sich später solche Mängel, so muss die Anzeige sofort nach
der Entdeckung erfolgen, widrigenfalls die Sache auch rücksichtlich
dieser Mängel als genehmigt gilt.

they won't notice it ;) but you need some good argument's that this issue isn't caused by software... first go back 100% stock using this guide:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2541082

and then test if your phone still eats these cables..., return it to the shop...

use these arguments to convince them if they don't wanna replace it:

I hope you can do something with these informations and if they want to charge you - or even to be prepared - I have a few examples how you can convince HTC that this issue is not caused by you and that this is covered by warranty.

LibertyMarine said:
UNLOCKING THE BOOTLOADER DOESN'T VOID THE WARRANTY FOR HARDWARE SUCH AS THE POWERBUTTON!!! I think it's point 7 in the warranty statement where they wrote that the fault has to be CAUSED by this particular ---- whatever is listed below.

Someone had an issue with a sunk powerbutton, like me:

LibertyMarine said:
Now, send them an email and tell them that in the warranty is written:
ONLY if it's CAUSED by external action, warranty is void for ONLY the part that got influenced by this cause! And also tell them that it is ridiculous and that they can't be serious saying that a few scratches and a unlocked bootloader caused a sunk power button! Tell them that this is against every human logic! Tell them that you have the right to use this warranty because the powerbutton sunk under normal usage! And this is definitly a production problem and not your fault! Describe them that you use your phone the way it has to be used!
But remember, be friendly and try to comunicate.. otherwise they won't deal.

Same guy again:
LibertyMarine said:
Try to give them your perspective.. how you experienced the sunk powerbutton. I said that from time to time it sunk deeper and deeper. And because I was afraid of destroying something I even pressed it softer and so on.. But once the point was reached that this ESSENTIAL part of the HTC One was unusable, so I felt forced to send it in on warranty because this is definitly a hardware fault and not a user fault! Try to give them your perspective!

This is almost everything. Be rethoric(Ask questions so that they must answer Yes! Ask questions that already include the answer) For example, Isn't it ridiculus and totally against every logic thinking that you say a unlocked bootloader is the cause of a sunk powerbutton?

As long as they are humans, they have to say, yes... this is the only answer... otherwise they would be ridiculus.

They wanted to charge him(was a bad decision :p):
LibertyMarine said:
holy crap, say them they HAVE to, or are they willing to see a BIG article in a popular newspaper with your problem and their answer... ask the shop assistant if he wants his name to be published etc... PROVOKE! FORCE them to repair it on warranty.. say them that a friend of yours also got the phone fixed for the same issue

But in the end this happend:

I will receive a refurbished htc one

I hope this helps you if they want to charge you. And even if they didn't what you've just read is the first step to become a good dealer!

If you don't mind, you can hit the thanksbutton ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Surreptor

Surreptor

Jun 6, 2013
Awesome Response

Holy sh*t, take my thanks :D

No, seriously, great and elaborate response, I'm gonna try that.

I bought a new charger cable today (just as a last test) and it won't even start charging on AC current. Guess it's really the phone's fault. Oh well, hate to wait for the replacement, but better than a broken phone, right?

Thanks again and have a nice day :)

Cheers,
Surreptor

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

ok... first, you are not allowed to tell them that you noticed this issue months ago..

look at OR Art. 201/3

3. Ergeben sich später solche Mängel, so muss die Anzeige sofort nach
    der Entdeckung erfolgen, widrigenfalls die Sache auch rücksichtlich
    dieser Mängel als genehmigt gilt.

they won't notice it ;) but you need some good argument's that this issue isn't caused by software... first go back 100% stock using this guide:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2541082

and then test if your phone still eats these cables..., return it to the shop...

use these arguments to convince them if they don't wanna replace it:

I hope you can do something with these informations and if they want to charge you - or even to be prepared - I have a few examples how you can convince HTC that this issue is not caused by you and that this is covered by warranty.

LibertyMarine said:
    UNLOCKING THE BOOTLOADER DOESN'T VOID THE WARRANTY FOR HARDWARE SUCH AS THE POWERBUTTON!!! I think it's point 7 in the warranty statement where they wrote that the fault has to be CAUSED by this particular ---- whatever is listed below.

Someone had an issue with a sunk powerbutton, like me:

LibertyMarine said:
    Now, send them an email and tell them that in the warranty is written:
    ONLY if it's CAUSED by external action, warranty is void for ONLY the part that got influenced by this cause! And also tell them that it is ridiculous and that they can't be serious saying that a few scratches and a unlocked bootloader caused a sunk power button! Tell them that this is against every human logic! Tell them that you have the right to use this warranty because the powerbutton sunk under normal usage! And this is definitly a production problem and not your fault! Describe them that you use your phone the way it has to be used!
    But remember, be friendly and try to comunicate.. otherwise they won't deal.

Same guy again:
    LibertyMarine said:
    Try to give them your perspective.. how you experienced the sunk powerbutton. I said that from time to time it sunk deeper and deeper. And because I was afraid of destroying something I even pressed it softer and so on.. But once the point was reached that this ESSENTIAL part of the HTC One was unusable, so I felt forced to send it in on warranty because this is definitly a hardware fault and not a user fault! Try to give them your perspective!

This is almost everything. Be rethoric(Ask questions so that they must answer Yes! Ask questions that already include the answer) For example, Isn't it ridiculus and totally against every logic thinking that you say a unlocked bootloader is the cause of a sunk powerbutton?

As long as they are humans, they have to say, yes... this is the only answer... otherwise they would be ridiculus.

They wanted to charge him(was a bad decision :p):
    LibertyMarine said:
    holy crap, say them they HAVE to, or are they willing to see a BIG article in a popular newspaper with your problem and their answer... ask the shop assistant if he wants his name to be published etc... PROVOKE! FORCE them to repair it on warranty.. say them that a friend of yours also got the phone fixed for the same issue

But in the end this happend:

I will receive a refurbished htc one

I hope this helps you if they want to charge you. And even if they didn't what you've just read is the first step to become a good dealer!

If you don't mind, you can hit the thanksbutton ;)