[Q] Potentially Soft bricked

Search This thread

Barnanator

Feb 9, 2014
I recently rooted my s4, hoping that I could put kitkat on it. I found that I couldn't just flash a rom with rom manager, so I installed safestrap, and I put 10.2 and a 11 nightly onto my internal storage. I flashed one of them (idiot me forgot which), and I rebooted. Now, my phone will show "samsung custom" and it will go to a screen that says "safestrap disabled." I can either click "recovery" or "continue." Recovery just brings me to the safestrap menu, but continue brings me to a blue (maybe aquamarine) colored screen that has static green lines and sifting/disappearing pink lines. Please help, I'm really worried I bricked my phone in my idiocy.
EDIT: So now, no matter what, it gets stuck at the "samsung custom" screen. If boot into recovery, It goes to a Verizon unauthorized software page. Is my phone bricked?

decaturbob

Mar 30, 2011
Decatur
Yes...you didn't research at all. Countless threads on this issue.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Maduro78

Nov 24, 2013
Did you install the ROM in the stock location in safe strap? You have to Odin it back to stock

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
I recently rooted my s4, hoping that I could put kitkat on it. I found that I couldn't just flash a rom with rom manager, so I installed safestrap, and I put 10.2 and a 11 nightly onto my internal storage. I flashed one of them (idiot me forgot which), and I rebooted. Now, my phone will show "samsung custom" and it will go to a screen that says "safestrap disabled." I can either click "recovery" or "continue." Recovery just brings me to the safestrap menu, but continue brings me to a blue (maybe aquamarine) colored screen that has static green lines and sifting/disappearing pink lines. Please help, I'm really worried I bricked my phone in my idiocy.
EDIT: So now, no matter what, it gets stuck at the "samsung custom" screen. If boot into recovery, It goes to a Verizon unauthorized software page. Is my phone bricked?

Wow..OK..
Did you make a backup of your stock ROM first?? And also where did you install these ROMs into... A ROM slot or the stock slot???

Sent from my unknown using Tapatalk

douger1957

Jul 31, 2010
Fort Wayne

No. It is not bricked. Why on earth would you try to install a CM ROM on a Safestrap phone? :eek:

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
I didn't do enough research.

So you installed that ROM onto to safe stock side in safestrap? I'm thinking you did.. But just wondering. And did you make a backup before you did anything? Safe strap is designed to be really safe... And if u do install anything to the stock slot you need to be extra careful and make sure you have a backup. Like josh said.. Probably the best bet now is to just Odin the stock firmware back on that phone. Not really hard just look in the development section you'll see ODIN

Sent from my unknown using Tapatalk

douger1957

Jul 31, 2010
Fort Wayne
I'd appreciate if you could point me in the direction of one of those threads.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2448726

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2606501

Most of the ROM developers have fairly explicit instructions on what the requirements are for their ROMs. Others take the approach that you should do some homework before you do something that will potentially turn your $600 phone into a paperweight.

At any rate, you're not the first nor will you be the last. Live and learn.

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

Could you perchance tell me how to do that

Do you know what build you were on? Go to Settings>About Phone. Scroll to the build information. We need the last three characters of that build - two letters and a number that start with a "M."

Reactions: Barnanator

Barnanator

Feb 9, 2014
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2448726

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2606501

Most of the ROM developers have fairly explicit instructions on what the requirements are for their ROMs. Others take the approach that you should do some homework before you do something that will potentially turn your $600 phone into a paperweight.

At any rate, you're not the first nor will you be the last. Live and learn.

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

Do you know what build you were on? Go to Settings>About Phone. Scroll to the build information. We need the last three characters of that build - two letters and a number that start with a "M."

I think something like me7

douger1957

Jul 31, 2010
Fort Wayne
I think something like me7

Follow the directions. I can't hold your hand because I've never done it. I have just a little experience with ODIN. There's another thread in the development forum that tells you how to do it for the MK2 base. There's a bit more detail on the directions. You can try the MK2 .tar file but the instructions say that might not work.

That will take your phone back to the way it was when it came out of the box. I'd strongly suggest you leave it like that until you've done your homework.

Here's a hint to help you out. Most everything you might need to know is on the first page of each forum. All of the latest and greatest information will be there, including the bugs and the workarounds.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts