App To Freeze OTA Update

Search This thread

fjm568

Feb 5, 2012
Thanks but I just want to know which APK I can freeze so the update won't bother me.

Lurk here a lot. Pretty much a noob at this stuff, but have managed to root and s-off both my original DInc and this Inc4g by reading and following directions. Remembering from the original DInc on how to stop the OTA, I did the same thing to this Inc4g, and haven't received any OTA notification (yet!).

Here is what I did(copied from a how to stop ota thread in original DInc forum)...

"To turn OFF future OTA updates, there is a file in the /system/etc/security folder. The file is named "otacerts.zip". Rename it "otacerts.zip.bak", or whatever you want. That will prevent future updates."

Hope this helps someone.

My brother & I both purchased our Inc4g's on same day. I rooted and s-off'd mine, he left his stock unrooted. His OTA came last week, I haven't seen one yet.

Reactions: pettigrew95
Lurk here a lot. Pretty much a noob at this stuff, but have managed to root and s-off both my original DInc and this Inc4g by reading and following directions. Remembering from the original DInc on how to stop the OTA, I did the same thing to this Inc4g, and haven't received any OTA notification (yet!).

Here is what I did(copied from a how to stop ota thread in original DInc forum)...

"To turn OFF future OTA updates, there is a file in the /system/etc/security folder. The file is named "otacerts.zip". Rename it "otacerts.zip.bak", or whatever you want. That will prevent future updates."

Hope this helps someone.

My brother & I both purchased our Inc4g's on same day. I rooted and s-off'd mine, he left his stock unrooted. His OTA came last week, I haven't seen one yet.

Thanks, I'll have to give this a shot.

Hesacon

Sep 3, 2012
On stock, with root and s-on, I was able to freeze htc dm and htcdm with TiB. It was prompting me to update twice a day before I did it, regardless of how long I deferred. I haven't been prompted in three days with no adverse effects. Someone more knowledgeable than I will need to verify how safe it really is, but this worked for me.

On stock, with root and s-on, I was able to freeze htc dm and htcdm with TiB. It was prompting me to update twice a day before I did it, regardless of how long I deferred. I haven't been prompted in three days with no adverse effects. Someone more knowledgeable than I will need to verify how safe it really is, but this worked for me.

Froze HTC DM and still getting the update and I have to defer and specify a date to install again...Any ideas? Thanks!

Hesacon

Sep 3, 2012
Froze HTC DM and still getting the update and I have to defer and specify a date to install again...Any ideas? Thanks!

There are two apps, htcdm and htc dm (with and without a space). They did not appear next to one another on my list, I had to scroll.

[edit] I also noticed that I froze htc dm command service, but the update prompt didn't disappear until I froze the two dm apps.

Last edited:
Reactions: n01535

fjm568

Feb 5, 2012
I also checked to see about the 2 htcdm files mentioned above and realized in addition to renaming the otacerts.zip file I referenced earlier, is that I also did freeze the 2 htcdm files using TiB.

As of right now, I still have not received the update notification.

Stock, rooted, and s-off.

Hope this helps someone.

j13smiley

Dec 10, 2010
columbus, oh
smiley.tzo.com
i'm afraid to post this - but a day and a half now the nag has not popped up since i've frozen the 3 files mentioned above. :knockonwood:

i've done all the other normal stuff that should work (i really don't understand why my build.prop changes are not working). i did get the viper illegal rom nag - but that only happens once a week so i can deal with it. getting the verizon nag each time i turned on the phone was getting old.

i'm afraid to post this - but a day and a half now the nag has not popped up since i've frozen the 3 files mentioned above. :knockonwood:

i've done all the other normal stuff that should work (i really don't understand why my build.prop changes are not working). i did get the viper illegal rom nag - but that only happens once a week so i can deal with it. getting the verizon nag each time i turned on the phone was getting old.

What is Viper nag?

junkmail9

the venom guys have discontinued support for the viper rom for our phone. however, they have protection built-in to help stop devs from stealing their code... unfortunately it is now tagging us as running illegal roms and gives us a nag screen once a week. there's info about it in the viper rom thread.

Neither the Viper nag, nor the Verizon OTA have appeared even once for me since I updated to ViperLTE 2.2.0. (I did turn off the check in settings, which I believe was added in 2.2.0)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks but I just want to know which APK I can freeze so the update won't bother me.

Hope this helps someone.

There are two apps, htcdm and htc dm (with and without a space). They did not appear next to one another on my list, I had to scroll.

[edit] I also noticed that I froze htc dm command service, but the update prompt didn't disappear until I froze the two dm apps.