My review after a week

Search This thread

withoutwings

Feb 12, 2010
Cambridge
I don't bother doing reviews normally, but have now just posted this over on the Carphone Warehouse product page since they hassled me via email to do one (may not show up for a couple of days though).

Anyway, thought I'd cross-post it here in case anyone finds it interesting. Cheers.

For a couple of years now, since the big Android manufacturers decided we all wanted big 4.7+ inch slabs as premium phones, the "minority" of us who were calling out for a high-end device that can be operated one-handed were ignored. Until now...

Sony say with the Z1 Compact they have "invented our own market segment", but really it is re-inventing the market segment that existed 24 months ago. Either way, somebody finally listened and we now have a device that is a good size to hold in addition to being around the fastest and most capable on the market.

In short, Sony took the larger Z1 and shrunk it down to a 4.3" screen, reducing only the screen resolution (to 720p, which is higher PPI than the human eye can discern) and the battery capacity (but not the battery life, as the smaller screen draws less power). You can easily get a day and a half out of this device even with 4 or so hours screen on time. As a bonus, they also upgraded the screen to a lovely IPS display with better viewing angles than the Z1.

This phone feels very premium in the hand and in operation, and being my first Sony device I am stunned by its elegance every time I pick the thing up. Having used it in the rain a few times this week already I'm also wondering what I ever did without a waterproof phone before! Why do all manufacturers not do this? It would save a lot of phones that seem to get dropped in toilets (seriously, how do people manage this?!), and also the futile wastage of rice afterwards.

Software-wise, it comes with Android 4.3 but 4.4 should be out for it in a month or so. I would say Sony are probably among the best for not annoying you with over-the-top customisation of Android or bloatware so I don't immediately feel the need to root it and start tinkering. This is a very good thing. They do use their own apps for phone, SMS, etc etc of course but they all tend to do their job nicely without getting in your way.

--------

Now that I've done the glowing sale pitch - and I do mean every word of it as it is a fantastic phone - I do need to point out some flaws that are quite frankly unforgivable in my opinion:
(*) Poor software backing up the magnificent camera. The "Superior Auto" mode is very ironically named as it completely ruins especially low-light photos by cranking the ISO up far too high and then trying to correct the noise in a very ham-fisted way. The solution until Sony (hopefully) fix it in an update is to use Manual mode instead.
(*) Flash bleeding into the camera. While this doesn't happen for me so much, others have noticed the flash reflecting in the back cover it is supposed to shine through and hitting the edge of the camera lens, making some dark pictures have a coloured fog effect. It is less marked in Manual mode again.
(*) Why, oh why Sony, do you still insist on putting a scratch-prone "anti-shatter film" over the top of perfectly good scratch resistant glass?!? Customers have been complaining about this since at least the Xperia Z but they are being very pig-headed about it. I have no idea why they decide they need to be the only manufacturer to put it on top of the glass instead of the underside of it like everybody else does. It can be removed but then you risk the screen warranty if you do so. Still, I will probably remove the ASF from mine at some point as glass feels more premium to me and I HATE scratches.

--------

But don't let the negative points I have made dissuade you from this phone as they absolutely do not outweigh the positives by a long shot. I would give 5-stars to all categories except reliability due to the camera and scratch-prone ASF.

This is a magnificent technological achievement Sony have pulled off meaning I have a device that I am very proud to own and show off to big slab owners and iPhone users alike!

Last edited:

belyj

Jan 30, 2007
ASF?

Great review man!

But since you hate scratches, much like I do, could you take a closer look at the back panel? There's no ASF, at least on my Z1c. And there's a potentially huge scandal evolving in forums about back panel being actually made of polycarbonate, not glass. Sony claims glass on both panels, but people say back panel gets scratched just by looking at it hard enough :eek:

I have my phone for 2 days and already got 2 deep scratches on the back. I haven't been able to scratch my iPhone 4s so badly in 2 years of use...

withoutwings

Feb 12, 2010
Cambridge
Well, if true then that would be another negative point definitely. Especially since they seem to have gone out of their way to hide it and appear happy for everyone to assume glass on the back.

Sent from my Xperia Z1 PerfectSize, I mean "Compact"

louis0815

May 12, 2009
www.alex-2.de
Well, if true then that would be another negative point definitely. Especially since they seem to have gone out of their way to hide it and appear happy for everyone to assume glass on the back.
There is no "if" any more, the original whitepaper has been amended in the meantime - albeit without changing the version number.

original Sony whitepaper said:
Both the front and back are made of durable tempered glass
revised Sony whitepaper said:
The front side of the phone is made of durable tempered glass

I don't know how long the original version will remain on Sony's servers so I downloaded a copy just in case - looks as if someone tries to erase all traces of what I would call a false adverstising campaign....

Last edited:

monoelectron

Nov 3, 2012
yea i really hope they fix the camera software up a bit. for some reason some of my photos are coming out yellow-ish. this only happens inside when the lights are on. it can be fixed by editing the photo in pixlr express by dragging the hue bar to the left a bit, but its a bit of effort to be doing that for multiple photos. the photos seem very noisy/grainy as well.

i really wasnt expecting any of this since all the reviews about the camera were saying its the best on android atm. although plenty of sites mentioned it didnt do that well in low light, but some photos are coming out noisy even in shots that i would consider low light. seems to me that almost anything inside is out of the question.

anyway, its a really great phone apart from that. i probably shouldnt have checked the camera first because it put me off a bit!

EDIT: another thing that is frustrating me but probably isnt a problem for everybody is sony's naming convention for photos. instead of having a counter (or just adding the date and time like every other phone) it looks up the number of the last photo taken, dsc_005 for example, and then calls the next photo dsc_006. i would be ok with that but i have foldersync set up to move any photo that is taken or edited to the DCIM folder (so photos from snapseed, pixlr, different camera apps etc all end up in one single folder) but this set up doesnt work with sony's photos since the folder it saves to will empty each time. it keeps naming the photo dsc_001 and then foldersync keeps overwriting the same photo.

people have been asking them to change this for years now but it seems they want to be different. its just strange coming from a camera company like sony?
aaanyway, apart from those 3 things. great phone lol

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't bother doing reviews normally, but have now just posted this over on the Carphone Warehouse product page since they hassled me via email to do one (may not show up for a couple of days though).

Anyway, thought I'd cross-post it here in case anyone finds it interesting. Cheers.

For a couple of years now, since the big Android manufacturers decided we all wanted big 4.7+ inch slabs as premium phones, the "minority" of us who were calling out for a high-end device that can be operated one-handed were ignored. Until now...

Sony say with the Z1 Compact they have "invented our own market segment", but really it is re-inventing the market segment that existed 24 months ago. Either way, somebody finally listened and we now have a device that is a good size to hold in addition to being around the fastest and most capable on the market.

In short, Sony took the larger Z1 and shrunk it down to a 4.3" screen, reducing only the screen resolution (to 720p, which is higher PPI than the human eye can discern) and the battery capacity (but not the battery life, as the smaller screen draws less power). You can easily get a day and a half out of this device even with 4 or so hours screen on time. As a bonus, they also upgraded the screen to a lovely IPS display with better viewing angles than the Z1.

This phone feels very premium in the hand and in operation, and being my first Sony device I am stunned by its elegance every time I pick the thing up. Having used it in the rain a few times this week already I'm also wondering what I ever did without a waterproof phone before! Why do all manufacturers not do this? It would save a lot of phones that seem to get dropped in toilets (seriously, how do people manage this?!), and also the futile wastage of rice afterwards.

Software-wise, it comes with Android 4.3 but 4.4 should be out for it in a month or so. I would say Sony are probably among the best for not annoying you with over-the-top customisation of Android or bloatware so I don't immediately feel the need to root it and start tinkering. This is a very good thing. They do use their own apps for phone, SMS, etc etc of course but they all tend to do their job nicely without getting in your way.

--------

Now that I've done the glowing sale pitch - and I do mean every word of it as it is a fantastic phone - I do need to point out some flaws that are quite frankly unforgivable in my opinion:
    (*) Poor software backing up the magnificent camera. The "Superior Auto" mode is very ironically named as it completely ruins especially low-light photos by cranking the ISO up far too high and then trying to correct the noise in a very ham-fisted way. The solution until Sony (hopefully) fix it in an update is to use Manual mode instead.
    (*) Flash bleeding into the camera. While this doesn't happen for me so much, others have noticed the flash reflecting in the back cover it is supposed to shine through and hitting the edge of the camera lens, making some dark pictures have a coloured fog effect. It is less marked in Manual mode again.
    (*) Why, oh why Sony, do you still insist on putting a scratch-prone "anti-shatter film" over the top of perfectly good scratch resistant glass?!? Customers have been complaining about this since at least the Xperia Z but they are being very pig-headed about it. I have no idea why they decide they need to be the only manufacturer to put it on top of the glass instead of the underside of it like everybody else does. It can be removed but then you risk the screen warranty if you do so. Still, I will probably remove the ASF from mine at some point as glass feels more premium to me and I HATE scratches.

--------

But don't let the negative points I have made dissuade you from this phone as they absolutely do not outweigh the positives by a long shot. I would give 5-stars to all categories except reliability due to the camera and scratch-prone ASF.

This is a magnificent technological achievement Sony have pulled off meaning I have a device that I am very proud to own and show off to big slab owners and iPhone users alike!
    Nice review

Sent from a mobile Gadget...