Verizon Moto G Unlock Bootloader / Root?

Search This thread

JCBiznatch

Account currently disabled
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago
Google Pixel
Google Pixel 2
Verizon is ONE BIG PILE Horse-Chit.. I hate that company with a passion...

So I moved my Family to T-Mo and bought 2 Nexus 5's and 2 Moto G's!

I will NEVER-EVER go back to Verizon... EVER!

They are the most archaic, backward and Xpensive carrier in North America

Pleas do yourself a favor and leave that - HORRIBLE effin COMPANY

P.S. I REPEAT - I will NEVER-EVER go back to Verizon... EVER

Visit this site and read the horror stories: http://verizarape.com/

:D

Pretty much agree but can't live without the coverage.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

azangerle

Jun 21, 2011

This really is not the place for carrier hate.

I weighed all my options and VZW won out.

Many of us purchased the verizon Moto G, and are looking forward to the rooting / unlocking .. etc.

Reactions: roebling

sturmen

Jun 18, 2010
Boston, MA
sturmen.mp
You have to activate it and get a phone number to get past that screen. You dont have to pay anything, just select "pay later" both time it asks you. It'll give you a number and then you can connect to wifi to do the rest of the steps.

Altering the setup app in any way thereafter reboots the phone, so you'll always have the activate app in your drawer. Thanks, Verizon. :eek:

Great news: you don't even have to do that! Just check out this guy's post/video.

NWKENT

Dec 17, 2010
Tryon, North Carolina

Please be nice..been with Verizon 10 years..Your post is your opinion..

Now..back on the thread subject..Is the XT1028..Rootable.?

sent by my 4.2.2_12.15.15
RockMyMoto Root..SafeStrap v3.65
XT1080M (aka) Droid Maxx
(device #1)

Please donate to: jcase & Hashcode (if you can)

Last edited:

BB6H22LUDE

Feb 5, 2014
Phoenix
m.facebook.com
XT1028

First time here on XDA. Us Verizon customers finally have received the 4.4.2 kitkat update! How can we find some way to unlock the bootloader and also achieve root? I really hope that all of us bought the phone don't get screwed, If we find out that unlocking the bootloader and root are impossible, I bet all of us will be kicking our self in the gonads and should have just bought the GSM model. Please someone help. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: moparfreak426

waslost1

Mar 17, 2011
Atlanta
Does anyone know if the Verizon version of the Moto G can be easily unlocked and rooted like the GSM version? Knowing Verizon's track record with locked down devices I wouldn't be surprised if it can't be unlocked. I'm thinking about buying one as a wifi/media device for my car, but I'd also like to play around with dev on it so a non-unlockable bootloader would be a deal breaker.

So back to the original question on this thread..... has anyone been able to unlock/root the XT1028 variant of this phone yet? I see a lot of info on the other versions like the GSM models and the Google versions, but not the Verizon version. Do the same methods work for all, maybe I am just being a little too cautious????

I was upgraded to Kit Kat last night. Seems fine, but I would still love to get some of the bloatware removed etc. Only 8gb on the XT1028, so every little bit helps. Thankfully OTG works so far. Kit Kat seems to allow R/W access when I only had R access with Jellybean.

lightningdude

Oct 9, 2010
I should be getting my Verizon Moto G today, so I'm very interested in any news on this front. I'm wondering if after the 6 months locked in with Verizon they'll allow unlock. After all, after the 6 months are up, Verizon will supposedly free the imei to be used with other services, like Page Plus. One can only hope, right?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

ttbanks97

Feb 17, 2014
hello

I got the US CDMA version for BoostMobile & had it unlocked 'n rooted w/in minutes of unboxing yesterday.

You sure you're entering the serial # correctly?
(I didn't take out all of the spaces the first time and got denied, then fixed it & unlocked)

Good luck!

so you are saying you unlocked the bootloader on the boost mobile version, which is a CDMA phone? And it worked?

NWKENT

Dec 17, 2010
Tryon, North Carolina
More Root info please.. Is the Verizon 1028 Unlockable, Rootable.?
The model, that I can see, is NOT on the Unlockable list..?

sent by my 4.3_14.14.14
XT1028 (aka) Moto-G

Last edited:

redking117

Nov 3, 2009
More Root info please.. Is the Verizon 1028 Unlockable, Rootable.?
The model, that I can see, is NOT on the Unlockable list..?

sent by my 4.3_14.14.14
XT1028 (aka) Moto-G

I am sad. Verizon Moto G is $99, while unlocked is $179.99

Pretty big difference, Amazon even had a flash sale On January 15th (MY BIRTHDAY!) where it was $79.99!!!

To think it has almost identical specs to the Moto X which is $399

But no root as of yet, huh?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's actually available in some Best Buys right now and I think I've seen a few people say they've picked one up. I also updated the OP to use the right terminology though I'm sure everyone knew what I meant anyway.

I was able to purchase one last night at my local Best Buy after proving to them that they were in fact somewhere in the store, and waiting for them to call their Verizon rep, I just attempted the bootloader unlock on the Motorola Developer (official bootloader unlock) and I can confirm that it is not eligible for unlock at this time. :( Huge letdown for me as I was gonna get one for myself soon, but the wife won't really care about it being unlocked so for her it's still a good deal. :)
    it's really starting to piss me off that we can't unlock the bootloader. i'm basically new to the Android world, started with Nexus 4, then Nexus 5 and now the Moto G... although i'm new to the game, i'm loving it way more than iOS and iPhone... and was able to successfully unlock and root both my Nexus 4 and 5, as well as my Nexus 7... just wish there were some way around this with VERIZON... they are really making me want to throw this phone through a window and go back to my N5 or just go Moto X!

Pay 45 dollars and get unlock code. if you want it so badly.

This really is not the place for carrier hate.

I weighed all my options and VZW won out.

Many of us purchased the verizon Moto G, and are looking forward to the rooting / unlocking .. etc.
    XT1028

First time here on XDA. Us Verizon customers finally have received the 4.4.2 kitkat update! How can we find some way to unlock the bootloader and also achieve root? I really hope that all of us bought the phone don't get screwed, If we find out that unlocking the bootloader and root are impossible, I bet all of us will be kicking our self in the gonads and should have just bought the GSM model. Please someone help. Thanks in advance.
    Crazy that there has been nothing for this phone. Every other variant is rootable and boot loader unlock from oem. Really disappointed with this phone. Just picked up a G3.

Sir..its NOT the phone, its the carrier..Moto builds what the carriers ask for..
    I own an unlocked bootloader XT1028 (via the Chinaman process)..it being a CDMA device, and 3G only, development isn't very appealing..

Sent by my Motorola Droid XYBoard MZ617-32 10.1_ICS 4.04