[GUIDE] How to UNROOT & revert to Stock for receiving OTA updates

Search This thread

bhsiddharth

Mar 26, 2013
PURPOSE

Hello guys, I am writing this thread because I was not able to find any specific thread on how can i unroot my galaxy grand to revert back to stock for using OTA to get updates from samsung.

Please note that the method mentioned below is used by me to unroot and get update from samsung.

IMPORTANT

I am not responsible for bricked devices. Use this process/method at your own risk.

I was in CM 11 by @pawitp on 2nd Feb, 2014 build having CWM Recovery. There might be other easy ways as well to unroot or some steps might not be needed at all. I have just shared with you guys the process I followed.

STEPS TO UNROOT
  1. Take a full backup. (I used CWM backup to backup my whole ROM and helium to backup my data.)
  2. Download Triangle Away developed by @Chainfire from here.
  3. Install the Triangle Away-Version.apk normally in the phone.
  4. Open the Triangle Away app and use "Reset flash counter" to rest the flash counter.
  5. Close Triangle Away & Straight go to the CWM Recovery pressing "Volume Up+Home+Power" buttons together. Do not switch off or restart the phone.
  6. Once you are in Clockworkmod Recovery, do the following:
    • Use "Wipe data/factory reset" option to wipe data.
    • Use "Wipe cache" to clear cache.
  7. After doing the above operations, do not restart or close the recovery, straight go to the Download mode pressing "Volume Down+Home+Power" buttons together.
  8. Press Volume Up button to enter the download mode and cross the warning message.
  9. Connect the phone to the laptop/pc and open ODIN.
  10. Flash the original Samsung Firmware.
  11. After successful flash, the phone will boot normally. For details on how to flash a stock rom, look for @Chotu's thread.
  12. CONGRATS! Now you can use OTA to update your phone.

HOW TO CONFIRM SUCCESSFUL UNROOT

1. Open Download Mode, see that one value will be shown as "Samsung Official" & other as "Official".
  2. In Settings - About - Status look for "Device Status" value, it will be shown as "Official".

Last edited:

shanbhagatul

Nov 28, 2013
Margao
PURPOSE

Hello guys, I am writing this thread because I was not able to find any specific thread on how can i unroot my galaxy grand to revert back to stock for using OTA to get updates from samsung.

Please note that the method mentioned below is used by me to unroot and get update from samsung.

IMPORTANT

I am not responsible for bricked devices. Use this process/method at your own risk.

I was in CM 11 by @pawitp on 2nd Feb, 2014 build having CWM Recovery. There might be other easy ways as well to unroot or some steps might not be needed at all. I have just shared with you guys the process I followed.

STEPS TO UNROOT
  1. Download Triangle Away developed by @Chainfire from here.
  2. Install the Triangle Away-Version.apk normally in the phone.
  3. Open the Triangle Away app and use "Reset flash counter" to rest the flash counter.
  4. Close Triangle Away & Straight go to the CWM Recovery pressing "Volume Up+Home+Power" buttons together. Do not switch off or restart the phone.
  5. Once you are in Clockworkmod Recovery, do the following:
  6. After doing the above operations, do not restart or close the recovery, straight go to the Download mode pressing "Volume Down+Home+Power" buttons together.
  7. Press Volume Up button to enter the download mode and cross the warning message.
  8. Connect the phone to the laptop/pc and open ODIN.
  9. Flash the original Samsung Firmware.
  10. After successful flash, the phone will boot normally. For details on how to flash a stock rom, look for @Chotu's thread.
  11. CONGRATS! Now you can use OTA to update your phone.

1. Open Download Mode, see that one value will be shown as "Samsung Official" & other as "Official".
  2. In Settings - About - Status look for "Device Status" value, it will be shown as "Official".

installing stock rom on your fone with odin will anyway revert you back to stock and unroot for you..its a quicker easier process and as far as i know its safe

bhsiddharth

Mar 26, 2013
installing stock rom on your fone with odin will anyway revert you back to stock and unroot for you..its a quicker easier process and as far as i know its safe
If you do that it will not reset the flash counter. So even of you are in unrooted stock, you won't be able to download any update from Samsung.

bhsiddharth

Mar 26, 2013
If you're really doing it for OTA, then better use Triangle Away and use Odin to flash stock ROM.
This is because OTA updates (like pawitp CM's delta updates) will verify the system and will not update the ROM if the file to be updated is modified by the user

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Tapatalk
That's why i mentioned about triangle away. Please refer to the original post and it's purpose.

odlabu

Oct 24, 2013
Quezon City
Does the above mentioned procedure can be performed to my xperia flavoured rom? I want to revert to Stock for my friend who used grand duos.

Thanks in advance :laugh:

mantan gm

Nov 17, 2013
PURPOSE

IMPORTANT

STEPS TO UNROOT
  1. Take a full backup. (I used CWM backup to backup my whole ROM and helium to backup my data.)
  4. Open the Triangle Away app and use "Reset flash counter" to rest the flash counter.
  5. Close Triangle Away & Straight go to the CWM Recovery pressing "Volume Up+Home+Power" buttons together. Do not switch off or restart the phone.
  7. After doing the above operations, do not restart or close the recovery, straight go to the Download mode pressing "Volume Down+Home+Power" buttons together.
  8. Press Volume Up button to enter the download mode and cross the warning message.
  11. After successful flash, the phone will boot normally. For details on how to flash a stock rom, look for @Chotu's thread.

But why I must clear data/factory reset...? It will clear my data and remove my application and saved data and I have to download again like music or apps and what about my photo. Can I do not clear data?

bhsiddharth

Mar 26, 2013
But why I must clear data/factory reset...? It will clear my data and remove my application and saved data and I have to download again like music or apps and what about my photo. Can I do not clear data?
Clearing data is recommended but you can try without doing it (I haven't tried yet). Do revert the experience if you do so.

Apps & Messaging-Storage: Backup using Helium and then further restore after flashing stock using Helium (no need to root) itself.
Photos & Music: Move the same to External SDCard.

So you won't have to download anything again. :)

mpok2

Mar 8, 2014
PURPOSE

IMPORTANT

STEPS TO UNROOT

Thanks, this is really helpful for anyone who wants to go back to the stock rom, and even better if you included pictures and step one by one. :good:

Last edited:

bhsiddharth

Mar 26, 2013
Thanks, this is really helpful for anyone who wants to go back to the stock rom, and even better if you included pictures and step one by one. :good:
I have written this after doing the same. At the time of doing, there was no plan to write down so didn't take the snaps. But if I do it again, I will surely take the snaps.

anurag0022

May 26, 2013
Smart Watches
Nice

firepjs.php

PURPOSE

IMPORTANT

STEPS TO UNROOT

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PURPOSE

IMPORTANT

STEPS TO UNROOT

The instructions in the OP are pretty straightforward :D
    Kudos

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Tapatalk
    Does the above mentioned procedure can be performed to my xperia flavoured rom? I want to revert to Stock for my friend who used grand duos.

Thanks in advance :laugh:
    Yes as long as the phone is rooted Samsung galaxy grand duos, this method will work.