[Kernel Source Code] T-Mobile Sony Xperia Z1s 6916

Search This thread

epsix

Aug 29, 2010
I will also chip in with the community. XLoud sux VP4 android us way better and gravitybox.;)

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk 2

Josh McGrath

Jan 16, 2013
OnePlus 9
I guess we should get a total going... 60 so far for the people who gave an amount. Not including the no amount listed peeps

Sent from my SGH-M919 using JellyBombed Tapatalk 2

zenif3

Feb 13, 2014
Quick question

Ok, so it can't be rooted cause the bootloader is blocked.

Does that mean that it can't be SIM unlocked either?

I know the differences between unlocked and rooted, I just want to unlock the Z1s, is that possible?

brokeasshachi

Jan 6, 2011
NorCal, USA/Kanagawa, JP

I know the differences between unlocked and rooted, I just want to unlock the Z1s, is that possible?

you can still have tmobile unlock the sim (apparently they do it for free from what support told me, but i cant confirm that).

Also, Bootloader unlocking and rooting are different. I think we will get root, but maybe not unlocked bootloader.

accts

Feb 21, 2012
Evergreen State

Understand difference between Root vs Unlocked (2 unlock stages):

1. Unlock bootloader: kernel related, so that you can install CM's based roms. Without bootloader unlocked you could only run Stock kernel based roms. For Z1s, bootloader unlock is not allowed !

2. Unlock SIM/Network: so that you can use on any service providers. For Z1s, the answer is yes, you can google and pay for the unlock code. Or for free of charge, wait until the contract ended between Tmobile and Sony (I donot have the info) (or meet this), then you can request TMobile for the unlock code.

3. Rooted: unlock software of the phone, so that you can edit (modify) the system runnning the way you liked it. This is the topic discussion for this Thread! Soon someone will figure out a way to root the system so we can modify such as uninstall/install system apps, put in custom recovery to flash roms or custom themes, etc.

So there you have it!

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gqukyo

Nov 9, 2009
I haven't heard of any Tmo and Sony agreement that won't allow unlocks until a certain date but I wouldn't be surprised if that exist as it took forever for me to unlock my Nokia Lumia 1020 on AT&T. Under their policy it does state the following:

Important: Additional restrictions may apply.

Other than that, Tmo's website list out the general requirements for unlocks: T-Mobile Unlock. I'm actually going to try and unlock as soon as I hit the 41 day mark as I paid for my phone in full upfront. Hopefully there's no block by either company until a certain date.

Last edited:
Reactions: accts

accts

Feb 21, 2012
Evergreen State
That is correct, as mentioned I do not have the info. It could be pretty well there is no restriction as long as the requirements are met. I just throw it out there due to the 'exclusiveness' of the phone! This term is an animal, could be anything. From experience I couldn't request an unlock code until years later. So for me buying an online unlock code is a quicker way. If i can spend $528.00 for the phone, a little more wouldn't hurt me.

gqukyo

Nov 9, 2009
$528 with a plan. ;) I paid more cuz I wanted to use the $30 5gb prepaid plan. anyways, which unlocking site?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's a vendor-locked model, like the Z1 C6906, T-Mobile just contracted Sony to do a special version (hence the s in Z1s). It's basically a cheaper version of the C6906, which even makes more sense if you look at the model number:

C (Model Line)
    6 = Screen size, not literal but in resolution, the 6 is Full HD.
    9 = Model revision (Which at 9 concludes the C line)
    0/1/4 = 0 is Sony base version, anything else is VENDOR special (Like the C6943 with it's TV viewing features)
    2/3/6 = Supported network type, where 2 is HSPDA/3G, 3 is LTE/4G and 6 is VENDOR CHOICE

Sony still handles the Z1s as a Z1 with it's model number: C6916.

The Z1s still is a Z1, plain and simple.

Understand difference between Root vs Unlocked (2 unlock stages):

1. Unlock bootloader: kernel related, so that you can install CM's based roms. Without bootloader unlocked you could only run Stock kernel based roms. For Z1s, bootloader unlock is not allowed !

2. Unlock SIM/Network: so that you can use on any service providers. For Z1s, the answer is yes, you can google and pay for the unlock code. Or for free of charge, wait until the contract ended between Tmobile and Sony (I donot have the info) (or meet this), then you can request TMobile for the unlock code.

3. Rooted: unlock software of the phone, so that you can edit (modify) the system runnning the way you liked it. This is the topic discussion for this Thread! Soon someone will figure out a way to root the system so we can modify such as uninstall/install system apps, put in custom recovery to flash roms or custom themes, etc.

So there you have it!

Does this mean root will be here soon. As much as i love this phone I can't live without a rooted device. Feels somehow... Neutered.

Sent from my C6916 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Root for ad blocking....

Sent from my C6916 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    I really would love root. This phone is simply amazing. But as with everything, it could be even better with root!