[ROM][4.4.4][AOSP][{Un,}Official] CM11.0 (KitKat)

Search This thread

lucize

Aug 1, 2012
It will be in my next nightly and I have also submitted this fix to cm-gerrit. Now I only need to get hold of Hashcode, so he can approve the change.

I think lucize is currently merging my fixes and the fixes from Dtrail (JBX kernel maintainer) in his tree. I have to admit that I'm currently involved in too many different projects so I still haven't had enough time to really look at lucizes' kernel.I just compiled and booted it on my phone, but didn't look into merging in his stuff, yet.

Regards,
Michael

Mine has the 3g modem unstable, I think that because some usb changes from you.

Mixing it with dtrail seems to be stable, but is not clean, is full of overclocking options, I'm not so sure about power consumpion, the razr owners are pretty happy about it.
The last mix with dtrail source won't compile with standard defconfig setting and I was a bit busy this week to make it cleaner

Regards

Regards

stargo

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 7, 2011
Fürth
Mine has the 3g modem unstable, I think that because some usb changes from you.

I think you have both workarounds for errata i719 applied at the same time. The "buggy" one from motorola and the one from the upstream kernel which I committed. I realized rather late that Motorola already tried to workaround this problem...

I've reverted the Motorola one in this commit: https://github.com/stargo/android_k...mmit/aeb0c1d1272e5fa163fa7eb77a8d2a98c03c74fb

The main problem with all USB stuff is that Motorola changed way too much and implemented the same stuff in one place which is implemented in the omapzoom-kernel in a different place.

Mixing it with dtrail seems to be stable, but is not clean, is full of overclocking options, I'm not so sure about power consumpion, the razr owners are pretty happy about it.
The last mix with dtrail source won't compile with standard defconfig setting and I was a bit busy this week to make it cleaner

Yeah, I think a working clean version could be submitted to cm gerrit. I'll try to find the time to debug the usb-problems on your tree.

My current plan was to look through the board-mapphone*-files and search for other "use-after-free" cases.

Regards,
Michael

mifritscher

Aug 5, 2007
Hi,

yust of curiosity: Why did you reverted the using of the i2c block API? Isn't it much cleaner using the API than trying to do it directly? Or are there any side-effects?

Best regards,
Michael

stargo

Jan 7, 2011
Fürth
yust of curiosity: Why did you reverted the using of the i2c block API? Isn't it much cleaner using the API than trying to do it directly? Or are there any side-effects?

It was overwriting the flags-field with zero, which it shouldn't do and I also tried to get back more in sync with the Motorola kernel in respect to I2C. It seems the I2C-bus sometimes gets stuck when trying to switch on the backlight, which didn't happen on the stock kernel.

Yes, the implementation looked sane (except the lis->clients->flags=0 part), but after looking at the smbus-code, I decided to revert it completely for now.
Too many variables which could influence the backlight-behavior. But it's probably something completely unrelated which is causing it...

Regards,
Michael

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
I apologize for this non-ROM related post:

Congrats to Stargo on being added as an official CM Motorola OMAP4 device maintainer!

(probably long over due)

Please refrain from posting "congrats" messages in this thread and maybe find one of his messages to add a "thanks" to.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

rblanca

Dec 12, 2011

Congrats to Stargo on being added as an official CM Motorola OMAP4 device maintainer!

(probably long over due)

Please refrain from posting "congrats" messages in this thread and maybe find one of his messages to add a "thanks" to.

Hahaha cheers stargo! Congratulitions and thanks 4 your hard work!

P.D.: Hi hash its been a long time no see you! Hahaha good luck!

stargo

Jan 7, 2011
Fürth

Thanks to you for all your help :)

I'll try to fix the bugs and will keep maintaining the OMAPs :)

This also means that I will shortly stop building my unofficial images, when I have merged all useful changes back into the CM repositories. The officials will then have all my fixes.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:

Khiraji

Dec 11, 2010
Portland, OR
This ROM is great! My phone is wicked fast and I have yet to find something that works less than perfectly - I was having MMS issues but changing my preferred mobile network to CDMA/EvDo resolved it and now MMS works great. The only other weirdness I've found so far is that GPS seems to lose fix every now and then. I use an app called GPS Essentials to measure/play with GPS, and my phone is able to see satellites and lock onto them just fine, but it'll randomly lose the fix and then take a few seconds to re-acquire. I haven't tested this very extensively and I don't really know what the best way of trying to pin down where the bug is (or if one exists, and it isn't just my phone being screwy) but I'll report my findings.
Otherwise, everything works very well - apps load fast, UI elements load fast, the camera is sharp and responsive, and I've yet to get a FC on anything.
The 2/14 nightly is downloading now and I'll flash it as soon as it's done and see what happens. Huge THANK YOU to Stargo and everyone involved in making this fantastic ROM! :good::good:

Last edited:

thelolotov

Nov 27, 2009
SoD continues

I know you don't want to hear this, but, I'm still having SoD issues on the 13 build. Guess I need to buy an alarm clock, because it happened overnight. Lucky for me, I happened to wake up before the alarm.

stargo

Jan 7, 2011
Fürth
I know you don't want to hear this, but, I'm still having SoD issues on the 13 build. Guess I need to buy an alarm clock, because it happened overnight. Lucky for me, I happened to wake up before the alarm.

I know :(
I'm currently trying to fix a rare crash in the USB-controller which might also be related to the SoD problem.

Regards,
Michael

rruleford

Feb 26, 2011

This also means that I will shortly stop building my unofficial images, when I have merged all useful changes back into the CM repositories. The officials will then have all my fixes.

Cheers,
Michael
I know were not supposed to ask but does this mean we'll be seeing an official build? It would be awesome! Thanks stargo and congrats on your accomplishments. To thee I applaud.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk

lucize

Aug 1, 2012
I know :(
I'm currently trying to fix a rare crash in the USB-controller which might also be related to the SoD problem.

Regards,
Michael

for me, after applying the new omap-ehci on my git it works very well, no modem crash and no sound crash and about 18h of standby with lot of instant messaging. Usually the sound goes bad when I use too much whatsapp.

Regards

stargo

Jan 7, 2011
Fürth
for me, after applying the new omap-ehci on my git it works very well, no modem crash and no sound crash and about 18h of standby with lot of instant messaging. Usually the sound goes bad when I use too much whatsapp.

I have a report of a modem-crash with the new omap-ehci, too :(
I'm currently thinking about reverting all USB changes.

Regards,
Michael

lucize

Aug 1, 2012

Regards,
Michael

I'm only using modem data since 14 feb and didn't had any issues, usually it crashed multiple times a day, for now I'll not make any changes on my kernel to see if in my combination is stable
I'll try to mix 2g with 3g more often maybe I can crash it.

Regards

thelolotov

Nov 27, 2009

Regards,
Michael

Regarding USB changes, I don't think the SoDs were caused by that, necessarily, this is an issue, that, as far as I know, has existed in the ROM since its inception. They may be related, but there was never a time it didn't happen, I don't think.

stargo

Jan 7, 2011
Fürth
Regarding USB changes, I don't think the SoDs were caused by that, necessarily, this is an issue, that, as far as I know, has existed in the ROM since its inception. They may be related, but there was never a time it didn't happen, I don't think.

I know, I had them happen before working on the ROM, too. And never on stock. But they are so rare for me (once this year), that they are hard to debug and they could be caused by different things. One (but not the only one) of which could just be the USB-problems.
Why I think so: Because you reported that you could no longer access the phone via adb when you experienced a SOD, so it seems to me the USB controller crashed.

I'm currently concentrating on getting USB working again, as this is needed for a stable phone-operation.

Regards,
Michael

lucize

Aug 1, 2012
I know, I had them happen before working on the ROM, too. And never on stock. But they are so rare for me (once this year), that they are hard to debug and they could be caused by different things. One (but not the only one) of which could just be the USB-problems.
Why I think so: Because you reported that you could no longer access the phone via adb when you experienced a SOD, so it seems to me the USB controller crashed.

I'm currently concentrating on getting USB working again, as this is needed for a stable phone-operation.

Regards,
Michael

the funny thing is that sound over bluetooth works (playing something in appolo or other player), but not in the speaker or headphones. I don't know what to tell, I can make the sound crash quite a lot, and is not happening during deep sleep or screen of, usually when I chat in whatsapp, this app has the ability to drive me crazy, not to mention some of the people I speak with :))
sadly it happened again on my kernel after almost 3 days of stable, next time I'll try to see if the usb is working.

the sound is going trough usb or it uses another path ?

Code:
ENTER: MOTSND SoC init
asoc: null-codec-dai <-> MultiMedia1 LP mapping ok
asoc: cpcap codec <-> omap-mcbsp-dai.2 mapping ok
asoc: cpcap in-call <-> MODEM mapping ok
asoc: cpcap fm <-> FMDummy mapping ok
asoc: cpcap bt-call <-> MODEM mapping ok
asoc: cpcap bt <-> omap-mcbsp-dai.2 mapping ok
asoc: null-codec-dai <-> omap-mcasp-dai mapping ok
asoc: BPVoice <-> omap-mcbsp-dai.2 mapping ok
asoc: cpcap stdac <-> omap-mcbsp-dai.1 mapping ok
asoc: hdmi-audio-codec <-> hdmi-audio-dai mapping ok
ALSA device list:
#0: Motorola MAPPHONE
#1: OMAP4HDMI

is cpcap be responsable of it ?

Regards

stargo

Jan 7, 2011
Fürth
the sound is going trough usb or it uses another path ?

Normal sound is not sent via USB. sound/soc/omap/motsnd.c is the driver and cpcap is involved.

Code:
asoc: hdmi-audio-codec <-> hdmi-audio-dai mapping ok
ALSA device list:
#0: Motorola MAPPHONE
#1: OMAP4HDMI

is cpcap be responsable of it ?

Yes, that's possible. cpcap is involved in audio-processing.

Another idea: what happens if you disable all SND HDMI-audio-functions in your kernel? We are missing quite a bit of the HDMI framework, maybe something is trying to interact with our non-working HDMI-driver?

I'm thinking of setting these to no:
Code:
CONFIG_SND_OMAP_SOC_HDMI=y
CONFIG_SND_OMAP_SOC_OMAP4_HDMI=y
CONFIG_SND_SOC_OMAP_HDMI_CODEC=y

EDIT: Thinking about that while driving home leads me to believe you are on the right track. cpcap is responsible for power (to the bl controller), audio and usb. So if there is a problem with cpcap, all that stuff would no longer work. Do you have any dmesg where you can see a cpcap-problem or any other hint?

EDIT2: And I'm back looking at I2C. I think I may have found the issue causing the SOD. It's connected with the ambient light/proximity sensor. I'll test that and push my change if it doesn't break anything.

Regards,
Michael

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CM11.0 (KitKat) unofficial builds for the Droid 4

I'm now pushing my changes directly to CM, so nearly everyone can just use the official nightlies (except if you are still using BMM).

CyanogenMod is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 4.4 (KitKat), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at any of us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
     * Collectively, and at the same time.
     */

CyanogenMod is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. CyanogenMod does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for CyanogenMod is available in the CyanogenMod Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to CyanogenMod, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.

These are WIP builds of porting CM11.0 to the Droid 4 (and probably also other devices using the same device/motorola/omap4-common-infrastructure). They probably won't work, so don't expect too much. Use on your own risk!

Builds:
    Final official build (XNG3C):
    http://download.cyanogenmod.org/ maserati spyder targa umts_spyder

Current manual builds:
    http://droid.cs.fau.de/cm-11.0/unofficial/

Official builds (for everyone not using BMM):
    http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=maserati

Obsolete automatic nightly builds:
    http://droid.cs.fau.de/cm-11.0/maserati/

Obsolete old/manual builds:
    http://bork.cs.fau.de/~michael/d4/cm11/

Changes:
    • 2016-01-04:
    • 2015-11-15:
    • 2015-09-01:
    • 2015-06-26:
    • 2015-05-22:
    • 2015-04-26:
    • 2015-04-12:
    • 2015-04-05:
    • 2015-03-29:
    • 2015-03-2{7,8}:
    • 2014-02-21:
      • Switch to CM kernel, all relevant kernel-patches are now upstream
      • Added fixes for audio, usb and modem
    • 2014-02-18:
      • Add wakelocks to ALS/proximity-sensor to prevent I2C-stalls
    • 2014-02-04:
      • Enable camera-sensor calibration
    • 2014-01-26:
      • Fix permissions for sdcard0, fixes apps on sd-card
    • 2014-01-25:
      • Increased suspend-delay in USB-host, next try to fix the suspend_wakelock
    • 2014-01-24:
      • Re-add MDM6600 reset on boot, might fix signal-loss issues. Users with a SIM PIN get a PIN-dialog after flashing the GSM patch.
    • 2014-01-22:
      • Fixed wireless driver writing to foreign kernel memory
    • 2014-01-21:
      • Fixed permissions of the DRM device-files, enable playback of secure content
    • 2014-01-19:
      • Apply omapzoom-fix for the st_wake_lock and remove my hack. This improves powersaving on some devices, where UART4 would not get disabled
    • 2014-01-17:
      • Reverted a motorola-workaround for an USB bug as the upstream omapzoom-fix is already applied and seems to be more correct. Probably fixes suspend_backoff wakelock
      • Completely switch back to ti wpa_supplicant
      • Fix permissions of battd-files, now battd can even read and write its calibration information
    • 2014-01-16:
      • Added a possible fix for the display not always waking up
    • 2014-01-13:
      • More camera fixes. HD recording (and the camera itself) should be stable now.
    • 2014-01-11:
      • Updated domx and kernel rpmsg-interface. This fixed many camera problems (hangs/mediaserver crashes). Additionally it makes focal usable now
    • 2014-01-10:
      • Enabled HD video recording. If the camera app crashes after taking a video, just reopen it (sometimes twice), this will be fixed in a future update.
    • 2014-01-06:
      • Enabled KSM
    • 2014-01-02:
      • More fixes for USB-problems (suspend related)
    • 2013-12-30:
      • Merge upstream changes (enables BLE)
    • 2013-12-25:
      • More camera tweaks
    • 2013-12-24:
      • Workaround for CM now depending on QCOM camera and crashing with everything else
      • Emit set_perms in updater-script again
      • Don't mount / as ro, fixes sd-cards again
    • 2013-12-23:
      • More fixes for USB-erratas
      • 5s timeout for the st_wake_lock
    • 2013-12-22:
      • Cherry-picked fixes for USB-erratas on omap4430 (suspend/resume)
    • 2013-12-18:
      • set_perms-hack removed
    • 2013-12-17:
      • Don't hold st_wakelock until BT/GPS is used for the first time
      • Some power-management fixes cherry-picked from omapzoom
    • 2013-12-14:
      • set CMUpdater-URL to own backend
    • 2013-12-13:
      • Torch-tile (Quick Settings) fixed
    • 2013-12-11:
      • Use hostapd from wpa_supplicant_8_ti and wpa_supplicant from wpa_supplicant_8 (fixes WiFi-tether)
      • 3G fixed by setting the data registration-state
    • 2013-12-07:
      • Update to Android 4.4.1
    • 2013-12-05:
      • Just a build with the latest CM11.0-changes
    • 2013-12-01:
      • Re-enable building TI WPAN support (fixes bluetooth)
    • 2013-11-30:
      • Just a build with the latest CM11.0-changes
    • 2013-11-28:
      • Revert "Reset MDM6600 on bootup", this should be safe to flash again for users having a SIM-PIN
    • 2013-11-27: *DO NOT FLASH*
      • Respect "usevoicetechfordata" RIL-setting again
      • Reset MDM6600 on bootup, this leads to problems with SIM-PINs, do not flash!
    • 2013-11-26:
      • Merge upstream fixes
      • Enable new boot-animation
      • Fix a crash in the hwcomposer
    • 2013-11-24:
      • Disable fsck_msdos for now to see if this solves the sd-card-problems
    • 2013-11-23-2:
      • Revert sd-card changes, sd-cards are now writeable again
    • 2013-11-23:
      • Some more sd-card related changes, this now breaks sd-cards completely...
      • Unconditionally enable gsm-preferences
      • Revert new boot-animation, as it crashes the system on boot
      • Merge upstream kernel/motorola/omap4-common-commits by dhacker29
    • 2013-11-22:
      • Merge upstream devices/motorola/omap4-common-commits by dhacker29
    • 2013-11-21:
      • Fix black-boxes in chromium webview (using this patch)
    • 2013-11-19:
      • Use CPU-path for taking screenshots (Fixes graphical glitches on rotation, and probably hangs, but not black-boxes, they are a PowerVR/chromium bug)
      • Fixed internal and external sd-card mounting
    • 2013-11-18-2:
      • Enable (empty) methods used by audio-blob (fixes audio)
    • 2013-11-18:
      • Don't use TI wpa_supplicant but stock Android one (fixes WiFi)
    • 2013-11-17:
      • First booting build

What's working:
    • Phone (tested on Verizon and on GSM/UMTS in Europe)
    • Mobile Data (tested on Verizon and on GSM/UMTS in Europe)
    • WiFi
    • WiFi-tethering
    • GPS
    • 3G and 1X mobile data (on Verizon)
    • Camera
    • HDMI, thanks to @lucize

What's not working:
    Probably most everything else, including, but not limited to:
    • sd-card-location can not be swapped between internal and external sd-card
    • ART, as it is still in heavy development upstream (same as for all other 4.4-Roms)

Differences to official builds:
    • USB-Host changes trying to fix suspend_backoff issues (integrated into CM)
    • Many power-saving related kernel-changes (integrated into CM as of 2014-01-18)
    • Updated display controller-driver to fix dead display on wakeup (integrated into CM as of 2014-01-20)
    • HD video recording, newer camera libraries (integrated into CM as of 2014-01-14)
    • Camera sensor DCC file-loading fixed (integrated into CM)
    • Working WiFi tethering (integrated into CM as of 2014-01-17)
    • Installable with older recoveries
    • Some other small omap4-common changes (integrated into CM)

Gapps:
    There are currently multiple Gapps-versions floating around, which might or might not work.
    To install current Gapps-packages without errors, you should upgrade to SafeStrap 3.75.

BasketBuild: https://basketbuild.com/gapps

CM: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Google_Apps

Dhacker29 provides gapps which are compatible with recoveries not supporting set_metadata (like SafeStrap <= 3.73) (mirror):
    http://droid.cs.fau.de/cm-11.0/dhacker-gapps/

Other gapps-versions from Dhacker29 (using set_metadata, which leads to an error during installation):
    http://d-h.st/EIM
    http://d-h.st/F0D

Installation:

GSM users:
    To use this CM11.0-ROM on GSM-networks you should install Mentor.37's GSM patch

Source / Repositories:

These builds are currently just test-builds, I don't know if I will find the time to continue maintaining device support for the Droid 4 on CM11.

XDA:DevDB Information
    CM 11.0 on Motorola Droid4, ROM for the Motorola Droid 4

Contributors
    stargo, Hashcode, Dhacker29
    Source Code: https://github.com/CyanogenMod

ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x
    Based On: CyanogenMod

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: XNG3C
    Stable Release Date: 2015-09-01
    Current Beta Version: 2016-01-04
    Beta Release Date: 2016-01-04

Created 2014-11-23
    Last Updated 2016-01-04

Cheers,
    Michael
    Hi,

I've just updated the first post, added a small changelog for the new build and fixed gapps-links.
    There will be another build including this shortly.

Cheers,
    Michael

(probably long over due)

Nice job man!

I was hoping devs would step in and continue on with these great devices. You don't know how happy I was to see this build.

(I'm not just tossing this out there, I actually flashed this build and ran through it.)