Disable Power, Vol Up, and Vol Down?

Search This thread

Shawn

Aug 26, 2012
Louisville
I fixed my brother's Note for him, except for a couple things. I replaced the USB port and I'm replacing the LCD later today. My only issue is, one of the three buttons I mentioned in the title is sticking, and it won't stop. Phone just booted for the first time since last night, after flicking the back for a good 10 minutes. I need a way to disable the three physical keys, while leaving the ones at the bottom active. I looked all over Google and can't find anything.

captemo

Jan 13, 2012
Kentucky
I fixed my brother's Note for him, except for a couple things. I replaced the USB port and I'm replacing the LCD later today. My only issue is, one of the three buttons I mentioned in the title is sticking, and it won't stop. Phone just booted for the first time since last night, after flicking the back for a good 10 minutes. I need a way to disable the three physical keys, while leaving the ones at the bottom active. I looked all over Google and can't find anything.

3 physical keys???

Do you have right device?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using xda app-developers app

440bro

Oct 14, 2008
Cleveland ROCKS!!!
gsomething.net
Sounds like you broke your brothers note instead of fixing it to me!

1 of 3 buttons are sticking? Narrow it down please if you want some help. And why are you flicking it for 10 minutes?

The more info you give, the better help you get.

Shawn

Aug 26, 2012
Louisville
I'm referring to the power button on the right side, and the two volume keys on the left side. Yes, I have the right device. SGH-I717. Anyways, it's one of those three keys. It'll boot into download, recovery, etc, but it always shuts off after about 30 seconds. I flicked it for about 10 minutes because the buttons wouldn't stop sticking. As for breaking it? No, it had this issue way before I even touched it. I've done numerous repairs on my various phones, and I'm 100% sure this isn't my screw up. Regardless, I need to find the file to edit which controls each keys purpose. I know how to reassign the capacitive keys, but not the actual physical ones.

440bro

Oct 14, 2008
Cleveland ROCKS!!!
gsomething.net
I'm referring to the power button on the right side, and the two volume keys on the left side. Yes, I have the right device. SGH-I717. Anyways, it's one of those three keys. It'll boot into download, recovery, etc, but it always shuts off after about 30 seconds. I flicked it for about 10 minutes because the buttons wouldn't stop sticking. As for breaking it? No, it had this issue way before I even touched it. I've done numerous repairs on my various phones, and I'm 100% sure this isn't my screw up. Regardless, I need to find the file to edit which controls each keys purpose. I know how to reassign the capacitive keys, but not the actual physical ones.

1.If your power button was stuck it would bootloop over, and over, and over again. You wouldn't be able to boot into recovery, nor download mode. So you can eliminate that button.

2.If press ONLY the power button and the volume down button was stuck, you'd boot directly into download mode. Does this happen? If not your volume down button is fine.

3.Power up the phone and hold ONLY the volume down button. If the volume up button is stuck, you'd boot into recovery. Does this happen? If not your volume up button is fine.

So do you have scenario 1, 2, or 3? If you don't have any of those scenarios your buttons are fine. If you don't trust me and these scenarios here's another option. Since you took apart the phone to change the usb port, take it apart again. Try cleaning the micro switches using a Q-tip and alcohol. Try to power the phone up without the fake chrome shell. Maybe the shell is depressing a button constantly.

Reactions: captemo

captemo

Jan 13, 2012
Kentucky
YOU da man 44bro

---------- Post added at 06:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 AM ----------

Reading OP again, I understand more. My bad. Referencing buttons in the title and not you post threw me off, but better safe than sorry right.

Reactions: 440bro

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

1.If your power button was stuck it would bootloop over, and over, and over again. You wouldn't be able to boot into recovery, nor download mode. So you can eliminate that button.

2.If press ONLY the power button and the volume down button was stuck, you'd boot directly into download mode. Does this happen? If not your volume down button is fine.

3.Power up the phone and hold ONLY the volume down button. If the volume up button is stuck, you'd boot into recovery. Does this happen? If not your volume up button is fine.

So do you have scenario 1, 2, or 3? If you don't have any of those scenarios your buttons are fine. If you don't trust me and these scenarios here's another option. Since you took apart the phone to change the usb port, take it apart again. Try cleaning the micro switches using a Q-tip and alcohol. Try to power the phone up without the fake chrome shell. Maybe the shell is depressing a button constantly.
    YOU da man 44bro

---------- Post added at 06:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 AM ----------

Reading OP again, I understand more. My bad. Referencing buttons in the title and not you post threw me off, but better safe than sorry right.