[GUIDE] The easiest way to install CWM in ICS (no unbricking needed)

Search This thread

Swetnes

Aug 2, 2012
OnePlus 8
NOW YOU CAN INSTALL CWM DIRECTLY FROM ICS
INSTALL AN UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER WITHOUT UNBRICKING

A few months ago I found this thread on XDA :http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=42657066

This thread provided a way to install CWM from Jellybean V30C for the SU640 without unbricking the phone first. Now not exactly the same, the phones are close enough that it peaked my interest. Digging into it I discovered that the partition mmcblk0p7 contains the bootloader, and it was as simple as pushing the unlocked bootloader from Gingerbread to the correct partition, therefore bypassing the entire need to unbrick the phone first and thus allowing the install of CWM. :)

So I got brave enough and installed the P936 v10i Gingerbread ROM and used the command in ADB shell to extract the bootloader:
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p7 of=/sdcard/bootloader.img. After this I restored my phone completely to stock. Rooted using the root at the above link, then ran my batch file and I had CWM no Security Error!!

The steps are simple:

Start with stock ICS (any version, carrier or phone version p93x). v20c, v20d, v20e, or v20f.

1. ROOT PHONE with the root from the above link or any method that works for you.

2. Run my batch file.

3. Install a custom ROM.

Before anyone asks me I used v 6.0.1.5 TOUCH for CWM. There are actually several reasons why. For me v 6.0.4.5 was incompatible with any ROM with kernel version 3.4. Also if I would initiate a backup from the Rom Manager app, CWM couldn't locate the backup directory.

ENJOY
:victory:

First this only is recommended for LG's Nitro HD models P930, P935 & P936. I do not recommend installing on the SU640 or LU6200.

Attachments

• lg_p930_cwm.zip
    7.3 MB · Views: 2,003
Last edited:

Jimboukfk

Feb 25, 2012
Thnks!

Worked like a charm! (the second time lol)
I've been waiting for an easy workaround like this, you're great!

Reactions: Swetnes

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Awesome work.

Where did you get CWM 6.0.1.4? Is it the recovery.img located in the zip in the OP? I have two P930s and both have 6.0.4.5 installed. On one, I can get into recovery without a problem, the other one can't.

Thanks

Reactions: Swetnes

Swetnes

Aug 2, 2012
OnePlus 8
Reactions: audit13

Swetnes

Aug 2, 2012
OnePlus 8
Awesome work.

Where did you get CWM 6.0.1.4? Is it the recovery.img located in the zip in the OP? I have two P930s and both have 6.0.4.5 installed. On one, I can get into recovery without a problem, the other one can't.

Thanks

You know what, I had a typo and will fix, it should have been....6.0.1.5 and not 6.0.1.4. Sorry I was going off of memory.

Sent from my LG-P930 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: audit13

zlebors

Jan 2, 2012
Jakarta
UP...!!!!

Thanks GOD I found this thread.. I was going to have CWM with Hereric's method

I am really greatfull for this... thank you.

nesti123

Aug 27, 2012
Thank's for this method... but i have a question... this will work on ics 4.0.3 v18f rooted? I have this version installed on my P930

JugRKnoT

Feb 11, 2014
I cant get this to work on my lg. for some reason it just keeps saying the system cannot find the path specified. Im rooted and have all the drivers installed but no luck. any suggestions?

Swetnes

Aug 2, 2012
OnePlus 8
I cant get this to work on my lg. for some reason it just keeps saying the system cannot find the path specified. Im rooted and have all the drivers installed but no luck. any suggestions?

May have something to do where it is stored on your C drive. Try copying the folder to the root directory on your C drive and running the batch file with administrator permissions.

pmaioli

Apr 13, 2013
how to boot to recovey with the smartphone off? (i try vol up+ power and dont go to recovery, power and doesnt goes)

Truepeace

Jan 25, 2013
ooh bro, thank you! im very thankful for yout work, a very easy mode to get recovery!

I never managed to get into recovery with the phone off. If I long press volume down with power button I get the message if I want to permanently erase everything (factory reset) and if I long press volume up with power I get into download mode.
(using lg nitro hd, cm 10.2.1, unbricked and rooted using hereric's guide, and I have latest cwm installed)

Swetnes

Aug 2, 2012
OnePlus 8
I never managed to get into recovery with the phone off. If I long press volume down with power button I get the message if I want to permanently erase everything (factory reset) and if I long press volume up with power I get into download mode.
(using lg nitro hd, cm 10.2.1, unbricked and rooted using hereric's guide, and I have latest cwm installed)

That is exactly the message that you want. Press power button twice and you will be in CWM. It says factory reset because that is what will happen if you didn't have a custom recovery installed, no worries though.

Reactions: Truepeace

notzippy

Aug 3, 2010
Wandering
I do not remember which technique I used to root my phone, but it is rooted and currently running sphinx. Can I just flash the bootloader on my phone as is ? or do I need to revert to stock first ?

Swetnes

Aug 2, 2012
OnePlus 8
I do not remember which technique I used to root my phone, but it is rooted and currently running sphinx. Can I just flash the bootloader on my phone as is ? or do I need to revert to stock first ?

Yes you can flash directly, since it only flashes the boot loader and recovery it will not touch your ROM.

Sent from my LG-D800 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: notzippy

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NOW YOU CAN INSTALL CWM DIRECTLY FROM ICS
    INSTALL AN UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER WITHOUT UNBRICKING

A few months ago I found this thread on XDA :http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=42657066

This thread provided a way to install CWM from Jellybean V30C for the SU640 without unbricking the phone first. Now not exactly the same, the phones are close enough that it peaked my interest. Digging into it I discovered that the partition mmcblk0p7 contains the bootloader, and it was as simple as pushing the unlocked bootloader from Gingerbread to the correct partition, therefore bypassing the entire need to unbrick the phone first and thus allowing the install of CWM. :)

So I got brave enough and installed the P936 v10i Gingerbread ROM and used the command in ADB shell to extract the bootloader:
    dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p7 of=/sdcard/bootloader.img. After this I restored my phone completely to stock. Rooted using the root at the above link, then ran my batch file and I had CWM no Security Error!!

The steps are simple:

Start with stock ICS (any version, carrier or phone version p93x). v20c, v20d, v20e, or v20f.

1. ROOT PHONE with the root from the above link or any method that works for you.

2. Run my batch file.

3. Install a custom ROM.

Before anyone asks me I used v 6.0.1.5 TOUCH for CWM. There are actually several reasons why. For me v 6.0.4.5 was incompatible with any ROM with kernel version 3.4. Also if I would initiate a backup from the Rom Manager app, CWM couldn't locate the backup directory.

ENJOY
    :victory:

First this only is recommended for LG's Nitro HD models P930, P935 & P936. I do not recommend installing on the SU640 or LU6200.
    Thnks!

Worked like a charm! (the second time lol)
    I've been waiting for an easy workaround like this, you're great!
    Awesome work.

Thanks
    Awesome work.

Thanks

Hereric's guide.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2044645

And yes it's the recovery.img

Awesome work.

Thanks

You know what, I had a typo and will fix, it should have been....6.0.1.5 and not 6.0.1.4. Sorry I was going off of memory.