FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP][2.2+] Telegram, the secure chat client.

452 posts
Thanks Meter: 334

By Zenety, Senior Member on 24th January 2014, 08:31 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
16th February 2014, 08:03 PM |#11  
Flag Internety
Thanks Meter: 1,743

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Randi

I care a big deal about privacy and don't even use a Google Account. But I think there are a lot of other things to worry about first before worrying about your telephone number. If you give your number to anyone who is using a phone or an app that reads his/her contact list and does whatever with it, your phone number is not a privacy thing anymore.

(Correct me if I'm wrong)

yea but I still don't trust app like this one. It's sad because I very wanted to use it instead of fb messager (which consumes lots of ram in my device). And "Fast for facebook" is not good for me.

16th February 2014, 08:41 PM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 226

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lozohcum

yea but I still don't trust app like this one. It's sad because I very wanted to use it instead of fb messager (which consumes lots of ram in my device). And "Fast for facebook" is not good for me.

If you're using Facebook Messenger privacy shouldn't be such a big concern for you, lol.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to lets_zock For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lets_zock Ad-Free
16th February 2014, 10:11 PM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
i like this messanger
i used from 6 month ago
16th February 2014, 10:20 PM |#14  
Flag Gijón
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by domenukk

Is it end to end encrypted? Then it would be a great alternative.
What's their business-model, though? Free and no Ads seems like it won't be around for long...

Only the secret chat is end to end encrypted, a normal chat is phone-server server-phone, so the conversations can be synced between more devices

It's not a business, it's open source, they didn't make it to earn money
16th February 2014, 10:24 PM |#15  
Netherlands
Thanks Meter: 6

More
My notifications of Telegram don't seem to work properly. It seems that I only receive messages when I actually open the app.
Notifications are all on. Phone is used in wifi only atm, no SIM.
Anyone any ideas?
16th February 2014, 10:26 PM |#16  
Thanks Meter: 30

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed10vi

Only the secret chat is end to end encrypted, a normal chat is phone-server server-phone, so the conversations can be synced between more devices

So the normal chat is not more secure than whatsapp.
Good to know there is an option for save chats, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed10vi

It's not a business, it's open source, they didn't make it to earn money

Server Storage and Traffic don't fall from the sky. Open source is nice and everything, but somebody always has to pay something.

Anyway, the App looks very polished.
16th February 2014, 10:33 PM |#17  
Flag Gijón

More
Quote:

So the normal chat is not more secure than whatsapp.
Good to know there is an option for save chats, though.

It's more secure: https://telegram.org/faq#security

Quote:

Server Storage and Traffic don't fall from the sky. Open source is nice and everything, but somebody always has to pay something.

Anyway, the App looks very polished.

https://telegram.org/faq#q-who-are-t...ehind-telegram
16th February 2014, 11:10 PM |#18  
hовосиби́рск
Thanks Meter: 167

More
i'm not a security expert but according to moxie marlinspike, a developer of renowned secure text messaging app "text secure", this app's security is questionable. he actually called it snake-oil!
16th February 2014, 11:59 PM |#19  
Flag Gijón

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic-hero

i'm not a security expert but according to moxie marlinspike, a developer of renowned secure text messaging app "text secure", this app's security is questionable. he actually called it snake-oil!

It's not the most secure system, but I think it is enough. They tryed to find a balance between security and speed

As he says, I peffer the Text Secure protocol, but its unusefull for me, I don't know one single person who uses it, and I don't like the apps
17th February 2014, 12:01 AM |#20  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Question Questionable
I've been using this app for a while now and trying to get in touch with the devs regarding some basic privacy concerns. Essentially - all our data is stored on their servers (unless in the case of "Secret Chats" - which is not the default / passive option). So what happens if you OR the person you're chatting to gets a new number, loses their existing phone, or just deletes Telegram (as you would WhatsApp)? It seems all our data, chatlogs and files (pictures, videos, media, etc) stays on Telegram's servers indefinitely.

Given that this app is so focused on privacy and security, this seems to be a questionmark.
17th February 2014, 12:08 AM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 30

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwme

I've been using this app for a while now and trying to get in touch with the devs regarding some basic privacy concerns. Essentially - all our data is stored on their servers (unless in the case of "Secret Chats" - which is not the default / passive option). So what happens if you OR the person you're chatting to gets a new number, loses their existing phone, or just deletes Telegram (as you would WhatsApp)? It seems all our data, chatlogs and files (pictures, videos, media, etc) stays on Telegram's servers indefinitely.

Given that this app is so focused on privacy and security, this seems to be a questionmark.

It's exactly the same WhatsApp. Just that whatsapp has no open API and no secure Chats.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)