Where's the root? :)

Search This thread

roustabout

Feb 12, 2011
supposedly there's going to be an lte version available. In the US, very likely on Amazon long before anywhere else. And (even more) spendy.

will6316

Mar 11, 2008
I wonder if the cf-root from the note 3 snapdragon version 4.4.2 would work. They're basically the same. I think?

roustabout

Feb 12, 2011
tried yesterday, it fails pretty spectacularly. I wound up having to pull my battery to get into odin mode to reflash my device. The device would not power down and so kept bootlooping into a failed recovery boot - I think the recovery is signed in addition to the boot, and the signature did not match on the note 3 snap 800 recovery image.

Turns out there's a Ukranian stock ROM available for the device. Which is fortunate.

I posted the recovery from that stock ROM in Chainfire's thread after I was able to recover my device.

Barsky

Aug 23, 2010
MintMobile
I tried the root from the Note 10.1 2014, being the same cpu and chipset. Seemed like it ran, booted up, no root. Knox is tripped :)
Wonder if something with knox unrooted on the reboot?

will6316

Mar 11, 2008
I hope Chainfire is working on this we need a root bad because we can get better battery life to get rid of some of the bloat software

Sudbury78

Jan 1, 2013
Will does your tab lag when waking up with power button and pressing home inside an app?

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

will6316

Mar 11, 2008
Haven't notice yet. But sometimes get and occasional lag in other areas. By the way anyone knows to add widgets from the lock screen haven't been able to do it

Sent from my SM-T320 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

stevedw

Feb 2, 2008
Well, the good news is that the 8.4 is rootable. The bad news is that I don't dare release it since it's probably as likely to root your device as it is to catch it on fire.

This will trigger the Knox flag, so if you don't want to do that, don't even think of trying this...

After initially trying to shove the bits into system.img.ext4 by hand from a stock tar(which never quite worked) I finally ended up extracting the stock recovery.img from the same tarball. Adding the cfautoroot bits from hlte-hltex-smn9005 recovery.img since it's also 4.4 (and similarly copying the cfroot to the stock cache.img.ext4) and rebooting into recovery. Once the stars aligned and I found a program that properly wrote out the recovery.img everything worked perfectly. Then, from paranoia, I re-flashed the stock recovery and cache since I don't think I did the right things for cfautoroot to clean up after itself.

However, since it took me probably 8 hours to get to this point, I expect someone like Chainfire to take about 8 minutes.

Last edited:

mrhomg

Feb 15, 2014
Bountiful, UT
I can get this little dinky tiny controller to work but not a regular sized usb controller, I don't know if there's enough power.

Sent from my SM-T520 using XDA Premium HD app

Last edited:

roustabout

Feb 12, 2011
It may be worth it if others post in the central Chainfire root request thread at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1980683

I linked a stock recovery for the 8.4 there. It would probably be good if others linked in recoveries for the 10 and 12 inch tabs there also.

At least two folks here have spent some or a lot of time looking at a CF style approach and at least one succeeded. I took a run as well and my second attempt got further than the first but failed in the end. I think we have a successful root from a person who rooted /system offline and flashed it in with Odin.

Not a compact, distributable approach, and I haven't had time to extract the system.img from a US firmware to look at making one of my own.

Last edited:
Reactions: CAR1977
It may be worth it if others post in the central Chainfire root request thread at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1980683

I linked a stock recovery for the 8.4 there. It would probably be good if others linked in recoveries for the 10 and 12 inch tabs there also.

At least two folks here have spent some or a lot of time looking at a CF style approach and at least one succeeded. I took a run as well and my second attempt got further than the first but failed in the end. I think we have a successful root from a person who rooted /system offline and flashed it in with Odin.

Not a compact, distributable approach, and I haven't had time to extract the system.img from a US firmware to look at making one of my own.

Thank you for posting that recovery image ! I bought my 8.4 yesterday and I love it. Was on the fence at first because so far there isn't much development support. But I looked at the note8 thread and kinda figured it would get more dev support soon!

Jamison904

Jun 9, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Anyone know if the stock firmware is available to download? If so I can root it for you guys tonight. Let me know on Google+ as I don't check XDA much any more.

Ok I am going to need testers for this tonight when I get done as I do not have the device. I have rooted other devices before (Google Jamison904 root if you need to.) So with that in mind if you plan on helping test please download the stock firmware to recovery just in case. Here is one of them - http://terafile.co/910f49cf635c/T320UEU1ANAI_T320XAR1ANAI_XAR.zip

Last edited:
I took it upon myself to message all the developers I know on Google plus and my buddy James Jamison replied:
James Jamison :"I will grab it when I get off work and root it then upload it. I will need someone to test so I'll let you know. Also I'll post it on XDA for others to test...lol"
I said I will post this here on XDA and he replied :
" Perfect! Thanks man. I should get home around 7pm est. Depending on the little ones it shouldn't take long to do... Then uploading to AFH might time some time. They have been running slow the last few weeks"

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 AM ----------

Oops... Duh. Just saw he already posted it! Anyway, I know him from the S3 and S4 development and he rocks!

Thanks for all the effort on this, we really appreciate it! I'm wondering if it will be the same rooting process for all the new tablets or if they will be device specific?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Anyone know if the stock firmware is available to download? If so I can root it for you guys tonight. Let me know on Google+ as I don't check XDA much any more.

Ok I am going to need testers for this tonight when I get done as I do not have the device. I have rooted other devices before (Google Jamison904 root if you need to.) So with that in mind if you plan on helping test please download the stock firmware to recovery just in case. Here is one of them - http://terafile.co/910f49cf635c/T320UEU1ANAI_T320XAR1ANAI_XAR.zip

Here you go Buddy,
I know you said not necessary but I wanted to. Not a lot, but a little something.
Confirmation number: 2FB483279T5073416 :good:

---------- Post added at 11:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 AM ----------

Thanks for all the effort on this, we really appreciate it! I'm wondering if it will be the same rooting process for all the new tablets or if they will be device specific?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Jamison904 is rooting the firmware for the Tab 8.4 , I am assuming so we can just flash it via Odin... that is my guess..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, the good news is that the 8.4 is rootable. The bad news is that I don't dare release it since it's probably as likely to root your device as it is to catch it on fire.

This will trigger the Knox flag, so if you don't want to do that, don't even think of trying this...

After initially trying to shove the bits into system.img.ext4 by hand from a stock tar(which never quite worked) I finally ended up extracting the stock recovery.img from the same tarball. Adding the cfautoroot bits from hlte-hltex-smn9005 recovery.img since it's also 4.4 (and similarly copying the cfroot to the stock cache.img.ext4) and rebooting into recovery. Once the stars aligned and I found a program that properly wrote out the recovery.img everything worked perfectly. Then, from paranoia, I re-flashed the stock recovery and cache since I don't think I did the right things for cfautoroot to clean up after itself.

However, since it took me probably 8 hours to get to this point, I expect someone like Chainfire to take about 8 minutes.
    So we are rooted? Can someone kindly please post instructions or video for the newbs?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

1. Make sure you have USB drivers on your PC and that device is found when plugged into USB.
    2. Download CF-Auto-Root-mondrianwifi-mondrianwifixx-smt320.zip from this_link
    3. Extract files, and run Odin3-v1.85 which is included in the ZIP file.
    4. Reboot tablet into Download mode by holding VOL-DOWN and HOME button during reboot
    5. Wait for the "Warning!!!" screen, then hit VOL-UP to "CONTINUE"
    6. Select PDA button in Odin, and select file "CF-Auto-Root-mondrianwifi-mondrianwifixx-smt320.tar.md5" from the ZIP file.
    7. Hit Start button.
    8. Thank Chainfire and Donate a little his way
    9. Enjoy.

[/COLOR]Oops... Duh. Just saw he already posted it! Anyway, I know him from the S3 and S4 development and he rocks!

We have root

Just rooted my 8.4 Tab Pro

CF-Auto-Root