Many people are ranting that its the same as whatsapp so whats the use ? or Its not really secure because it uses your phone number
To know if an app is secure or not we have to look at 4 things
- Where is the company based ?
- Who made it ?
- Are the protocols secure ?
But... Why is it better than Whats app ?
- It is as Russian company with servers in British Ivory Islands(which keeps it away from the russian gov and the NSA)
- It was founded by the brothers Nikolai and Pavel Durov who are the founders of VK and are known to support wikileaks and other "pro-privacy" organisations
- It uses their own protocol "MTProto". The company said it would give 200,000 bitcoins to anyone who can find a bug in their protocol. 3 Russion analysts found a few issues and they were given 100,000 and the issues were fixed as soon as possible. Other companies like whatsapp dont care because for many years it has been sending our texts without any encryption and now it uses a very weak type of encryption which can be easily broken by the NSA.
- All Chats are encrypted. It uses its own encryption(MTProto) which was made to have a balance between speed and security.
- In normal chats it uses Client/Server and Server/Client encryption(which is considered secure based on many security experts who have analyzed the app), here your chats can be accessed on other devices(by signing in ofcourse) through the cloud
- In "Secret Chats" the encryption is Client/Client meaning even the builders of this app cannot see your conversations. Here you cannot access them using the could. That's why secret chat isn't used as default
- It is Open-source
- It allows you to send files up to 1GB in size
- Allows you to send documents, zip or rar files
- It has a cloud feature meaning I can access my chats from my computer and other devices, some may see this as insecure.
- It uses phone numbers(actually its not a big issue since your phone number is already all over the net !!)
- Its exactly like whats app ? well its more of a Pro than a con because anyone can easily change to this with the above advantages
Nothing is 100% secure but it is definitely more secure than any other app here. Also, it will remain free according to their FAQ because their goal is PRIVACY. Also, their may be an option to remove the "Last seen" in the future. Their FAQ answers many questions if you have any head over their.
you can use Google translate to read it