FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP][2.2+] Telegram, the secure chat client.

452 posts
Thanks Meter: 334

By Zenety, Senior Member on 24th January 2014, 08:31 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
17th February 2014, 12:08 AM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 30

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwme

I've been using this app for a while now and trying to get in touch with the devs regarding some basic privacy concerns. Essentially - all our data is stored on their servers (unless in the case of "Secret Chats" - which is not the default / passive option). So what happens if you OR the person you're chatting to gets a new number, loses their existing phone, or just deletes Telegram (as you would WhatsApp)? It seems all our data, chatlogs and files (pictures, videos, media, etc) stays on Telegram's servers indefinitely.

Given that this app is so focused on privacy and security, this seems to be a questionmark.

It's exactly the same WhatsApp. Just that whatsapp has no open API and no secure Chats.

17th February 2014, 12:10 AM |#22  
hовосиби́рск
Thanks Meter: 167

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed10vi

It's not the most secure system, but I think it is enough. They tryed to find a balance between security and speed

you don’t need to find a balance between security and speed if you can get both. maybe between security and simplicity but, anyway, there are plenty of better secure messengers available.
17th February 2014, 12:23 AM |#23  
Netherlands
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic-hero

you don’t need to find a balance between security and speed if you can get both. maybe between security and simplicity but, anyway, there are plenty of better secure messengers available.

Please recommend any more secure alternatives that look good, work, are free, and are compatible with iOS, Android and Windows Phone.
17th February 2014, 12:34 AM |#24  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
For an app that presents itself as "secure" this is not very secure, and even annoying, I use g+ and like many other users, I have circles with people I don't personally know or want to get in direct contact with, still, if one of those people installs telegram, we both appear as each other's contact and our numbers are exposed.
17th February 2014, 12:38 AM |#25  
hовосиби́рск

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Randi

Please recommend any more secure alternatives that look good, work, are free, and are compatible with iOS, Android and Windows Phone.

at the moment i recommend threema. in the very near future (with v2 and ios version) definitely textsecure.

more:
http://missingm.co/2014/02/fighting-...ted-messaging/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toxic-hero For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift toxic-hero Ad-Free
17th February 2014, 01:31 AM |#26  
Netherlands
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic-hero

at the moment i recommend threema. in the very near future (with v2 and ios version) definitely textsecure.

more:
http://missingm.co/2014/02/fighting-...ted-messaging/

I know Threema and its close to perfect for privacy I guess, but without people in your contact list having it, it is useless. And it is hard to convince people to download an app they have to pay for.

"Why should I pay if whatsapp is free? I don't have anything to hide..."
Stuff like that is why I find Telegram useful... it is free, it looks good, people know how it works from whatsapp, and you can get it for Android, iOS, and Windows Phone. I was able to convince some people to download and use it, at least for contacting me.

But yeah, the whole thing starts to smell a bit... odd. Especially the Moxie Marlinspike arguments make me wonder if in the end Telegram is even worse than the usual suspects.
17th February 2014, 02:02 AM |#27  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by domenukk

It's exactly the same WhatsApp. Just that whatsapp has no open API and no secure Chats.

?

In this regard it's actually the opposite of WhatsApp - WhatsApp has no central server for our messages or media (probably for our phone numbers, though). All data is stored locally. Telegram stores all our data centrally by default.
17th February 2014, 04:47 AM |#28  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Nice App., UI same as Whatsapp
I'll try it
The Following User Says Thank You to riomilan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift riomilan Ad-Free
17th February 2014, 06:17 AM |#29  
Thanks Meter: 255

More
Many people are ranting that its the same as whatsapp so whats the use ? or Its not really secure because it uses your phone number

To know if an app is secure or not we have to look at 4 things:
  1. Where is the company based ?
  2. Who made it ?
  3. Are the protocols secure ?
  4. Privacy Policy
  1. It is as Russian company with servers in British Ivory Islands(which keeps it away from the russian gov and the NSA)
  2. It was founded by the brothers Nikolai and Pavel Durov who are the founders of VK and are known to support wikileaks and other "pro-privacy" organisations
  3. It uses their own protocol "MTProto". The company said it would give 200,000 bitcoins to anyone who can find a bug in their protocol. 3 Russion analysts found a few issues and they were given 100,000 and the issues were fixed as soon as possible. Other companies like whatsapp dont care because for many years it has been sending our texts without any encryption and now it uses a very weak type of encryption which can be easily broken by the NSA.
  4. In their Privacy Policy they strictly show that they will NOT share any data with third parties.

But... Why is it better than Whats app ?
  • All Chats are encrypted. It uses its own encryption(MTProto) which was made to have a balance between speed and security.
- In normal chats it uses Client/Server and Server/Client encryption(which is considered secure based on many security experts who have analyzed the app), here your chats can be accessed on other devices(by signing in ofcourse) through the cloud

- In "Secret Chats" the encryption is Client/Client meaning even the builders of this app cannot see your conversations. Here you cannot access them using the could. That's why secret chat isn't used as default
  • It is Open-source
  • It allows you to send files up to 1GB in size
  • Allows you to send documents, zip or rar files
  • It has a cloud feature meaning I can access my chats from my computer and other devices, some may see this as insecure.

Cons :
  • It uses phone numbers(actually its not a big issue since your phone number is already all over the net !!)
  • Its exactly like whats app ? well its more of a Pro than a con because anyone can easily change to this with the above advantages

Conclusion :

Nothing is 100% secure but it is definitely more secure than any other app here. Also, it will remain free according to their FAQ because their goal is PRIVACY. Also, their may be an option to remove the "Last seen" in the future. Their FAQ answers many questions if you have any head over their.

FAQ:
https://telegram.org/faq

Source:
Arabic: https://cyberkov.com/?p=1354

you can use Google translate to read it
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ba7rani123 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ba7rani123 Ad-Free
17th February 2014, 10:03 AM |#30  
hовосиби́рск

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Randi

I know Threema and its close to perfect for privacy I guess, but without people in your contact list having it, it is useless. And it is hard to convince people to download an app they have to pay for.

"Why should I pay if whatsapp is free? I don't have anything to hide..."
Stuff like that is why I find Telegram useful... it is free, it looks good, people know how it works from whatsapp, and you can get it for Android, iOS, and Windows Phone. I was able to convince some people to download and use it, at least for contacting me.

But yeah, the whole thing starts to smell a bit... odd. Especially the Moxie Marlinspike arguments make me wonder if in the end Telegram is even worse than the usual suspects.

you're right, most people would never pay for an app if they could get another one free. and commercial free apps are not interested in making secure apps because they have to make money end if you're not paying for their apps, somebody else have to, so they are selling the data you kindly share with them to third parties (advertisers) and that makes you their product, not their customer.

the problem with secure open source apps is that they are not making any real money so they don't have whole teams of developers that get paid to make and improve the code daily. so their developement is slow and they sometimes really look awful.

WhatsApp is the a typical example of the first and most apps here are examples of the second. Telegram seems trying to be somewhere in the middle, but i don't know if you can seat on two chairs at the same time...

anyway, i'm looking forward to the new version of textsecure with a state of the art privacy/security, a great design and an IOS counterpart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ba7rani123

Nothing is 100% secure but it is definitely more secure than any other app here.

this claim is provenly wrong!

more on telegram:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toxic-hero For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift toxic-hero Ad-Free
17th February 2014, 10:39 AM |#31  
Flag Internety
Thanks Meter: 1,743

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lets_zock

If you're using Facebook Messenger privacy shouldn't be such a big concern for you, lol.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

That's why I'm looking for alternative untill I fix most important bugs in CM11 which I'm developing for my device.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)