Thanks Meter: 2,174

By E:V:A, Recognized Developer on 2nd January 2012, 04:30 AM
Thread Closed Email Thread
21st January 2014, 06:37 PM |#131  
Flag SCHUYLKILL HAVEN
Thanks Meter: 6,087

Donate to Me
More
The FBI/NSA do not longer need IMSI catchers to do their tapping and tracing, they have direct access via the NSA at a network level. Years ago this was the rage within The Agency, now its a past time, it may help in other countries where these devices may still be actively used, but they no longer need IMSI catchers with the access the NSA/FBI/DOD/CIA already have. This spying is a political problem and needs to be dealt with, I'd advise everyone to use a VOIP connection with airplane mode enabled with a mix of OpenPdroid/appops and AFWall+ and non-google gapps, Private internet access VPN with Orbot for privacy, if your even more paranoid, just delete the GPS and network drivers other than wifi. Dont forget your phone also probes networks and constantly scans, you also should spoof your mac address to remain anonymous.

23rd January 2014, 01:24 PM |#132  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
some news
http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/23/53...iberties-board
2nd February 2014, 03:24 PM |#133  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag -∇ϕ
Thanks Meter: 2,174

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by defconoi

The FBI/NSA do not longer need IMSI catchers to do their tapping and tracing, ...

I don't care about those guys half as much as I care about common people being monitored and threatened, just by being in a certain place. The latest addition to this scare tactic is from Kiev, 2 weeks ago, as The New Yorker writer, Joshua Kopstein writes in his review article of the Blackphone:

Blackphone: A Phone for the Age of Snowden :

Quote:

Around midnight on Tuesday of last week, people near the barricaded city square at
the center of mass protests in Kiev, Ukraine, received an ominous text message:

Quote:

"Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance."

The message was most likely sent by the Ukrainian government using what’s popularly known as an “I.M.S.I. catcher”—a controversial tool that disguises itself as a cell-phone tower so that nearby devices connect to it, revealing their locations and serial numbers and, sometimes, the contents of outgoing messages. It was a bleak reminder of how cell phones, one of the past decade’s most indispensable and ubiquitous pieces of technology, can silently leave their owners exposed to governments and high-tech criminals...

Our App is the first step towards an open source version of Blackphone,
and as such we cannot expect any help from the people trying to make
profit selling these devices to mafia prices.
The Following User Says Thank You to E:V:A For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd February 2014, 12:32 PM |#134  
Thanks Meter: 89

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RATBORG

I might a have a helping hand. Will look at this whole thread tomorrow!

Did you look?

Hopefully, frank
11th February 2014, 01:45 AM |#135  
Flag DEUTSCHLAND!
Thanks Meter: 655

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by E:V:A

I don't care about those guys half as much as I care about common people being monitored and threatened, just by being in a certain place. The latest addition to this scare tactic is from Kiev, 2 weeks ago, as The New Yorker writer, Joshua Kopstein writes in his review article of the Blackphone:

UPDATE: I just received a frightening article from @He3556, who for some reason can't post in our thread: Check out The NSA’s Secret Role in the U.S. Assassination Program! Basically, they are using DRONES which act like a fake base station, whom then will KILL their targets upon having a certain IMSI of the victim connected to it. All that is happening with "metadata analysis", meaning that those drones do not even identify their target for good, but rather just by "guessing" that the target is carrying the traced phone. If some other person accidentally carries the phone of the "target", well, this guy get's killed. I more and more feel that the movie "Terminator" is getting reality. This stuff is so friggin' scary!

And on top of all that, I just saw the first IMSI-Catcher van in MY OWN TOWN just yesterday. No antennas like in the turkey riots, just a white van with unobtrusive ads of a harmless company everybody knows of. So how did I identify it? Well, those smarta$$es forgot to use a civil license plate. The one they were using was one that only gets handed out to federal forces. Creepy news, right?

@E:V:A, would you PLEASE finally get back to me via PM? We should start uploading the very basic code into our GitHub - even if no functionality is being provided yet. We have 100+ followers right at this very moment when I'm typing this update, I feel people are itching to help us and to contribute real code. We gotta start. NOW.
The Following User Says Thank You to SecUpwN For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SecUpwN Ad-Free
17th February 2014, 01:12 PM |#136  
Thanks Meter: 1,272

More
Hi @SecUpwN

Now don't get too excited but I have made some updates to the base RawPhone application you have in your repo... These changes are still very early stages of bringing RawPhone to a point where it can possibly do some of things that you have been capturing within this thread.

To save me typing everything a second time I have pasted below the commit comments which I hope captures everything I have done so far, but please be mindful that this is the first tiny step

I will make a pull request but if you would prefer to test this by cherry-picking then just close the request and pull the commit directly from my Github.

There is so much more to do and some of things I have rolling around my head include being able to identify possible suitable serial devices available on the phone, a database of AT commands and of course the ability to issue custom commands. Also possibly the extension of the Android telephony manager service to access or capture data relevant to this project.

One thing I did realise I forgot about in my message was that I began to create a ATCommand class to process and interpret responses if the microcom applet was to fail but this is basically useless at the moment More to come on that once I get back to it!!

Initial Development Commit Comments
I don't really know where to start with this but here goes, there is a
MAJOR amount of work still required to bring RawPhone even close to what is
hoped for but I think this gives a solid base to start with even if it is still
very rough!

This commit makes a number of significant changes to the original base
RawPhone application each of which will be explained in detail below IF
I can remember them all...

1. Device information was split into a new class to allow easy modifications
in the future, all items such as IMEI, Operator etc are now contained within
this class.

2. RootTools library added to provide access to helper functions such as
checking for the provision of root, and offering installation of BusyBox if
it is not detected.

3. CMDProcessor - The AOKP CMDProcessor has been added to RawPhone allowing
shell commands and various helper functions to be executed, I find this library
to be very stable and it works very well. Some items already added with this
include checking for Busybox installation and the util Microcom which should
allow some form of serial communication on the device (NOT TESTED YET!).

4. Microcom applet - This is an applet available through Busybox which has been
included and RawPhone will prompt to install this if it is not located, initial
reading regarding this points to the fact it is supposed to allow for the
issuing of basic AT serial commands ON THE DEVICE. Very interesting indeed but
as yet this is untested as I have not written the methods to issue the AT
commands using the applet.

5. Initial changes have also been made for a revamp of the UI but as yet this
has not been implemented.

I am sure there is so much I have forgotten to mention but it is getting late and if I don't go to bed soon I shall never get up for work tomorrow, but like I said this is very rough but at least some progress although from looking at the application once launched you would not really know it. I will hopefully update some of code tomorrow to bring it more in line with Android code standards and also work on some more of UI etc.

I will check back in tomorrow at work if I get a change but if not once I get home.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to AuSSiELaMbChOpS For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AuSSiELaMbChOpS Ad-Free
19th February 2014, 12:24 AM |#137  
Flag DEUTSCHLAND!

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuSSiELaMbChOpS

Now don't get too excited but I have made some updates to the base RawPhone application you have in your repo... These changes are still very early stages of bringing RawPhone to a point where it can possibly do some of things that you have been capturing within this thread.

So AWESOME, thank you for the first development commitment on this project! Way to go! Due to some basic things I am still about to clear with @E:V:A, I would like you to be patient a little until we have made a final decision on your contribition. But don't be disappointed already, you'll receive a gift from me soon (I promised so in Issue #2) - let me know where to send it to via PM. Huge THANKS again for being the very first person to submit code!
The Following User Says Thank You to SecUpwN For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SecUpwN Ad-Free
19th February 2014, 01:46 PM |#138  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecUpwN

So AWESOME, thank you for the first development commitment on this project! Way to go! Due to some basic things I am still about to clear with @E:V:A, I would like you to be patient a little until we have made a final decision on your contribition. But don't be disappointed already, you'll receive a gift from me soon (I promised so in Issue #2) - let me know where to send it to via PM. Huge THANKS again for being the very first person to submit code!

No need to send me anything mate that's not why I made those initial changes, I am just happy to help out even if that means starting again with something that better fits the vision you both have for the app.

I must admit it was quite sometime ago that I read the entire thread and have spent most of the night rereading the thread and various links, I will continue to read more and hopefully over the next few days really look at some of the main requirements you guys have stated.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AuSSiELaMbChOpS For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AuSSiELaMbChOpS Ad-Free
26th February 2014, 11:44 PM |#139  
Flag DEUTSCHLAND!

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

No need to send me anything mate that's not why I made those initial changes, I am just happy to help out even if that means starting again with something that better fits the vision you both have for the app.

My high respect goes out to you to believe in our project, please be so kind and spread the link to our GitHub in all networks you know of. More developers hopefully means more progress, although I wonder why @E:V:A does not respond to my PMs and cannot (ot does not want to) provide an email address for getting in touch with him. Too bad.

Quick question: If I merge your commits, will the folder 'MERGESOURCE' be touched and changed, or did you "import" the code of RawPhone into the main GitHub directory to be worked with? If so, I might consider to decide merging your commits without agreement of @E:V:A, although I must admit I do not very much like that..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SecUpwN For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SecUpwN Ad-Free
26th February 2014, 11:52 PM |#140  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecUpwN

My high respect goes out to you to believe in our project, please be so kind and spread the link to our GitHub in all networks you know of. More developers hopefully means more progress, although I wonder why @E:V:A does not respond to my PMs and cannot (ot does not want to) provide an email address for getting in touch with him. Too bad.

Quick question: If I merge your commits, will the folder 'MERGESOURCE' be touched and changed, or did you "import" the code of RawPhone into the main GitHub directory to be worked with? If so, I might consider to decide merging your commits without agreement of @E:V:A, although I must admit I do not very much like that..

Yes if you merge the pull request it is going to modify the source contained in the MERGESOURCE folder.

All the changes are contained in my fork of the project so if you want to wait I can just keep pushing more changes to my github and once you have made contact with E:V:A you can merge them if you want.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
27th February 2014, 06:28 AM |#141  
Flag DEUTSCHLAND!

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Yes if you merge the pull request it is going to modify the source contained in the MERGESOURCE folder.

Ah, not so good. Would you please change your commits in a way that the code in 'MERGESOURCE' stays untouched and rather a copy of RawPhone will be worked with in the main GitHub directory? If you'd like me to manually place another copy of RawPhone into the main directory, please tell me to. Are submitted commits even changeable?

Quote:

All the changes are contained in my fork of the project so if you want to wait I can just keep pushing more changes to my github and once you have made contact with E:V:A you can merge them if you want.

Sounds great! But would you do me a favour please? I know it is an unpleasant part, but I would *very* much appreciate if you could add a short sentence to our [url=https://github.com/SecUpwN/Android-IMSI-Catcher-Detector/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md[/url] once you add something new - when merging your commits I'll merge your edited changelog, too. Fair? I want people to be able to know what has been done without having to browse all the commit lines. THANK YOU for baring with us!
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread

Tags
catcher, ciphering, detector, imsi, osmocom, spy
Previous Thread Next Thread