Restore backups from Titanium Backup with SafeStrap/Hyperdrive

Search This thread

ricovox

Jan 12, 2011
There is an issue on the S4 with restoring backed-up apps with Titanium Backup (TB).
This occurs when using SafeStrap (SS) and/or HyperDrive ROM (I'm not sure which is the actual source of the problem).

When an app is restored from backup, it force closes as soon as it is launched. I even tried to install the App directly from Google Play and then restore ONLY Data using TB. The force close still occurred.

There have been reports that this only occurs when restoring backups into a SS slot, and not when restoring to the main system (i.e. not to a slot).

I've tried to use the "TB Restore Fixer" app after restoring, and this did not fix the problem.

1. Has anyone found a solution or work-around for this issue?
  2. Is there another way to backup Apps or at least Data and restore them in a batch process (e.g. after flashing a new or upgraded ROM)?

Thank you so much to anyone who can help!!

My Configuration:
I currently have SS 3.70 installed. Hyperdrive RLS14 is installed in slot 1. I have of course also flashed the proper kernel module (I'm on MK2).

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
There is an issue on the S4 with restoring backed-up apps with Titanium Backup (TB).
This occurs when using SafeStrap (SS) and/or HyperDrive ROM (I'm not sure which is the actual source of the problem).

When an app is restored from backup, it force closes as soon as it is launched. I even tried to install the App directly from Google Play and then restore ONLY Data using TB. The force close still occurred.

There have been reports that this only occurs when restoring backups into a SS slot, and not when restoring to the main system (i.e. not to a slot).

I've tried to use the "TB Restore Fixer" app after restoring, and this did not fix the problem.

2. Is there another way to backup Apps or at least Data and restore them in a batch process (e.g. after flashing a new or upgraded ROM)?

My Configuration:
I currently have SS 3.70 installed. Hyperdrive RLS14 is installed in slot 1. I have of course also flashed the proper kernel module (I'm on MK2).

Well I'm not Sure this will fix what you're going through but when I was on ss and doing what you're doing I had the same problems.
I ended up clearing all caches/data on my apps before restoring from tibu and that worked for me. Just thought I'd share.

Sent From My Verizon S4

Reactions: ricovox

ricovox

Jan 12, 2011
Thanks, Mistertac. I tried to clear cache & data before restoring from TB, and I still get the force close. Do you remember what build you had (e.g. MDK, etc) and what versions if SS and HD you were using?
Thanks

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
Thanks, Mistertac. I tried to clear cache & data before restoring from TB, and I still get the force close. Do you remember what build you had (e.g. MDK, etc) and what versions if SS and HD you were using?
Thanks

I was on MJ7 with SafeStrap 3.7 I believe. I know somewhere on here someone will be able to help you. There have been a few known issues with tibu I just can't remember right now what the fixes were. Wish I could help more

Sent From My Verizon S4

Reactions: ricovox

66gt350

Sep 8, 2010
Before running "TB Restore Fixer" did you download a copy of restorecon and copy that into your /system/bin directory?

I was having the FC with hyperdrive when restoring app+data or just data from TB, and this fixed worked for me.

ricovox

Jan 12, 2011
download a copy of restorecon and copy that into your /system/bin directory

Thanks for the tip!!! I hadn't heard of restorecon before.
For anyone else with this problem, you can download restorecon from this xda post.
Make sure to copy the file to /system/bin and set permissions to 755 (rwx r-x r-x).

It's a shame that TB Restore Fixer doesn't install file this for you, and it's even worse that it doesn't complain at all if restorecon isn't even present on the system. The app says "Fix Successful" whether or not restorecon is present, which is pretty terrible considering that all the app does is run it.

In fact, you don't even need TB Restore Fixer. You can just run the following command from terminal emulator (or write a script to do it).

restorecon -R -v /data/data
That's all TB Restore Fixer does anyway.

I can confirm that this fixes the problem with restoring Data using TB.

Thanks again to 66gt350 for telling me about restorecon!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Laxnkio

ffchampmt

Dec 27, 2013
Montana
I had the same problem and emailed Tibu support and they told me about the restorecon file missing. Don't know why it's not included but the said they had contacted SBreen about it. It is a Hyper Drive issue and not an S4 or TW issue.

Sent from my HyperDrive 14 Driven MJ7 Verizon Galaxy S4

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Before running "TB Restore Fixer" did you download a copy of restorecon and copy that into your /system/bin directory?

I was having the FC with hyperdrive when restoring app+data or just data from TB, and this fixed worked for me.
    I had the same problem and emailed Tibu support and they told me about the restorecon file missing. Don't know why it's not included but the said they had contacted SBreen about it. It is a Hyper Drive issue and not an S4 or TW issue.

Sent from my HyperDrive 14 Driven MJ7 Verizon Galaxy S4

My Configuration:

Well I'm not Sure this will fix what you're going through but when I was on ss and doing what you're doing I had the same problems.
    I ended up clearing all caches/data on my apps before restoring from tibu and that worked for me. Just thought I'd share.

Sent From My Verizon S4
    Thanks

I was on MJ7 with SafeStrap 3.7 I believe. I know somewhere on here someone will be able to help you. There have been a few known issues with tibu I just can't remember right now what the fixes were. Wish I could help more

Sent From My Verizon S4
    download a copy of restorecon and copy that into your /system/bin directory

Thanks for the tip!!! I hadn't heard of restorecon before.
    For anyone else with this problem, you can download restorecon from this xda post.
    Make sure to copy the file to /system/bin and set permissions to 755 (rwx r-x r-x).

It's a shame that TB Restore Fixer doesn't install file this for you, and it's even worse that it doesn't complain at all if restorecon isn't even present on the system. The app says "Fix Successful" whether or not restorecon is present, which is pretty terrible considering that all the app does is run it.

In fact, you don't even need TB Restore Fixer. You can just run the following command from terminal emulator (or write a script to do it).

restorecon -R -v /data/data
    That's all TB Restore Fixer does anyway.

I can confirm that this fixes the problem with restoring Data using TB.

Thanks again to 66gt350 for telling me about restorecon!!