Official Android 4.4 KitKat update for s4 active thread - all discussions here

Search This thread

android.zealot.fervor

Nov 8, 2013
★◢↿MUSCAT↾◣★
gsmarena_001.jpg

Earlier this month, a leak bought an unofficial list of devices that would be getting updated to Android 4.4 KitKat, at least in the U.S.. Today, Samsung USA has decided to make things official and has announced which of its phones and tablets will be getting the KitKat update, with many of the devices that were named in the leak actually included in the official list, including low-end devices like the Galaxy Tab 3 and the Galaxy S III mini (the upgraded model with LTE launched last year on AT&T and Verizon, not the international variant that came out in 2012.)

If you’re rocking a Galaxy Note 3 or Galaxy S4, expect to see a notification for the update today itself, especially if you’re on Sprint or US Cellular, as Samsung mentions that it will start rolling out starting today, confirming earlier leaks that suggested the update would be making its way to devices on the two networks.

Here’s the full list of devices that will be getting KitKat:

• Galaxy Note 3
• Galaxy Note II
• Galaxy S4
• Galaxy S4 mini
• Galaxy S4 Active
• Galaxy S4 zoom
• Galaxy S III
• Galaxy S III mini
• Galaxy Mega
• Galaxy Light
• Galaxy Note 8.0
• Galaxy Tab 3
• Galaxy Note 10.1
• Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition

That’s a pretty big list, which should make users of the aforementioned devices quite happy, though if you’re using a non-flagship device, we would recommend patience as Samsung will likely take its time pushing out the newer version of Android. The presence of the Galaxy Note 10.1 on the list is especially good to see, as users of the device have been pretty vocal of the poor support Samsung has extended to the original Galaxy Note tablet, with the device on Android 4.1.2 for more than a year.

Here’s the press release:

Samsung Confirms KitKat for U.S. Smartphones and Tablets

DALLAS, February 18, 2014 – Samsung Telecommunications America (Samsung Mobile) announced today that a number of Samsung Galaxy® devices will receive the Android 4.4.2 (KitKat) software update, enriching the Galaxy experience.

The upgrade provides a number of innovative, easy-to-use features that enhance the user experience, including a more intuitive user interface, enhanced messaging capabilities and updated applications:

Location Menu: An integrated location menu enables users to easily activate GPS, Wi-Fi and mobile networks, while simultaneously checking the battery usage of apps running location service capabilities.
Enhanced Messaging: Enables users to choose between Messages or Hangouts as their preferred default messaging application, and select from a larger assortment of updated Emoji icons.
Upgraded Google Mobile Service™ (GMS) apps: Users can automatically back up photos and video and can open, view, rename and share Google Docs and files.

Samsung Galaxy U.S. devices currently scheduled to receive the KitKat update include select carrier variants of the Galaxy Note® 3, Galaxy Note® II, Galaxy S® 4, Galaxy S® 4 mini™, Galaxy S® 4 Active™, Galaxy S® 4 zoom™, Galaxy S® III, Galaxy S® III mini™, Galaxy Mega®, Galaxy Light, Galaxy Note® 8.0, Galaxy Tab® 3, Galaxy Note® 10.1, Galaxy Note® 10.1 2014 Edition.

Availability varies by carrier and product, with updates beginning today and continuing throughout the coming months.​

source:sammobile/gsmarena

R_AL_Sim

Sep 23, 2004
UK
but will there be ANT+ support

samsung say they are adding support for ANT+ devices to the s4 and note will the active be getting ANT+ in the 4.4 update

D

Deleted member 5657508

Personally, I wont be touching 4.4 unless it comes in the form of an AOSP ROM, hopefully CM gets on it. More likely to keep this on CM10.2 until I upgrade to a new device. I bet the GS5 is released before our updates are.

Reactions: AndroidState

ewa12321

May 19, 2010
I hope so. Why not? There's nothing saying that is for US market only.

I have heard that people in Korea are getting update for s4 active.

Wysłane z mojego GT-I9295 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Last edited:

yankeesfan714

Jan 6, 2013
I don't think att will roll out the update for us

Sent from my GT-I9295 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

ohwarumbloss

Oct 9, 2010
Kalletal
Samsung representative from Poland confirmed that there will be 4.4.2 update for S4A international version but he didn't give specific date.

Wysłane z mojego GT-I9295 przy użyciu Tapatalka

I don't understand what the Problem should be. Now, that they rolled out 4.4.2 for the i9505 I'm hoping :)

Sent from my GT-I9295 using xda app-developers app

monkeydogger

Feb 13, 2012
Won't be holding my breath

Like the title says, the support Samsung have given the S4 Active has been woeful, I can even go so far as to say I'm looking to another manufacturer for my next upgrade.

The S4 A has buggy OFW, the slimrom build by Spelegius and the CWM unofocial port are far better (even with the buggy HD video recording issue). I have been gutted by how poorly this phone performs and fails to meet it's fullest potential.

All the above being said, I'll still upgrade if it comes along................. fingers crossed...........

D

Deleted member 5657508

I read elsewhere the changes between 4.3 and 4.4 are minimal.
A lot has been done under the hood a performance wise. Ont he face, it is mostly the Google Experience Launcher (with GNow) and transparent status bar that has the attention, as well as updates to the dialler and hangouts.
Like the title says, the support Samsung have given the S4 Active has been woeful, I can even go so far as to say I'm looking to another manufacturer for my next upgrade.
The Galaxy S5 (if that's what you're thinking of upgrading to) will have the S4 Active's capabilities.
Would you link it here too, thank you
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2616462

Top Liked Posts