FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[REVIEW] Amped Wireless Bluetooth Speaker Adapter

8,046 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,486

By jerdog, Community Relations Admin / Developer Committee on 20th February 2014, 03:33 AM
Post Reply Email Thread

Not too long ago I was able to get a hold of an Amped Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Adapter (BTSA1) and thought it a good time to put down a review of my experience so far. Amped Wireless, more commonly known for their amped (pun obviously intended) Wi-Fi offerings, not too long ago started offering this streaming audio adapter. There's not much that sets it apart from some of the other bluetooth streaming adapters out there, except for one big feature: you can connect this directly to any speaker/audio output device. It packs an enhanced bluetooth receiver which allows me to stream to it from my computer, tablet and phone from almost anywhere in the house - much farther than the standard 30ft distance (and let's face it - at 10ft the signal starts to fade pretty quickly at that). I could stream to it from about 30 feet away in my back room, but any more than that and the signal starts to fade. Definitely better than a standard bluetooth connection though.

It comes with RCA (R and L) and 3.5mm (standard headset port) connections, along with the requisite cable, so that you can connect either RCA to headphone jack, or headphone jack to RCA depending on your specific audio setup.

Once you connect via bluetooth, it operates just like a normal bluetooth speaker or headset does (minus the voice features). However one thing I noticed, to my relative excitement, is that Google Music treats this device as something you can "cast" to. So you select the cast icon and you're presented with the option to cast to it. That's a great feature, which while it's not technically streaming in the same way that you would "cast" to a Chromecast, it is definitely a feature the company could do well to promote. Something like "Google Music compatible" or something.

All in all, with a price tag of $69.99 it's probably a bit steep for a normal audio device, but with the connections to make any speaker or audio system a streaming center, it's not half bad. You can find more information at their website.

18th March 2014, 04:56 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Thanks for the info.

How about the sound quality? Did you notice any significant quality degradation when playing music, compared to a wired setup?
18th March 2014, 04:58 PM |#3  
I did not - it was crisp and clear. Of course as I moved furthest away it would be a bit choppy, but otherwise it was solid.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)