[Poll] [ROM] WG-Donut - Should there be a new version?

Should I make a WG-Build Y-3?

• Total voters
Search This thread

wesgarner

May 10, 2007
Birmingham, AL
218,000 Views! :)
If you have any problems, questions, suggestions, ideas(especially), [many other words that mean the same thing], shoot me a tweet @wesgarner or reply here

Wanted to give thanks to everyone helping on this ROM:
shagge68: Thanks for the support and encouragement on getting this ROM great =)
ninjabyte: Thanks for the server space, you were right drop.io sucks
Dwang: Great communication and help to try to work on the ROM, and the work you have put into everything. Your ROM created a great base for how fast these phones can run
Fnorder: Thanks for the couple things with ZipAlign, hope I can help with getting AUFS to work for Smart A2SD to include here
oknowton: Thanks for helping with ZipAlign back long ago ha
Garz: Thanks for all the info with theming and problems, I really need to help get the themes all working
brotbuexe/xillius200/PLZHelpMe/ID#: You guys are cool =)
Cyanogen: Thanks for your ROM of course (grr, just wish you were nicer about responding on Twitter - just playing)

Awesome people who have been helping during my absences: RavenII, gwydionwaters, Garz, BrutalHoe, FatBoyExtraordinaire (and more, but I suck at copying and pasting, seriously guys thanks a lot)

Beta Testers: Thanks for helping with all the oops in the ROM lol
Supporters: Thanks for supporting me in working on this ROM, and the great ideas you guys come up with
Twitter Followers: Wow too many to count, great and quick responses on everything!
日本人 Supporters: You guys made me laugh on Twitter lol

Donations: Skynet2Mainframe($30), outsider787($20), RevDave($20), Adrian($20), djn541($20), gwydionwaters($15), zeppelin481 ($15), aloxotls($15), Fausty($10), BrutalHoe($10), zsouthboy($10), jdhedden($10), ccriffman ($10), Jamdat33($8), Cheko ($5), carnegie0107($5), Delic($3) FatBoyExtraordinaire ($2.50)
Thanks guys - not going to use this for personal use. Done with my eBay shopping for the year lol
And yea these guys get special attention (well really because I can e-mail back and forth with them lol)

IMPORTANT: First Bootup will be slow - it runs DexOpt, A2SD, and ZipAlign

OK!
Run a Nandroid back up first (just in case)

Download, Install, Reboot​
If you are really wondering what has changed in this build, look at the kernel. Where my previous ones just use CM - this one is from scratch!

Now Active Issue Tracker: WG-Build and WG-Kernel Issues: http://code.google.com/p/wgbuild/issues/list
Build Y2-2.6: AndroidSPIN
CFS with 10MB RAM Hack
CFS without RAM Hack (for 3D Gamers)
BFS with RAM Hack
BFS without RAM Hack​

PS: FirstBoot will be incredibly slow because it wipes the Dalvik-Cache on FirstBoot.. sorry it was a necessary evil
Special Thanks to the best donation so far! Skynet2Mainframe gave $30 - Thank you so much
Incremental updates/changes
Stericson's Lockscreen
International GMaps
Advanced Launcher Replacement(Hero-Themed)
Application Fix instructions are below
* Updated to latest CM Build
* WG-Kernel v2.0 (See below - this is the best of the best for kernels)
* Removed: Automatic Backing-Swap if that partition is detected
--- Personally, I do NOT recommend a swap partition - in my experience it only slows down the phone
* MultiTouch working in the new Browser app and Gallery
* Fixed All ROMs WiFi/RHack/etc...
* Updated to Market 1660 plus themed
* Updated to Contacts.apk v2.8
* Dalvik-Cache wiped on FirstBoot to give a fresh start with the framework
* Stericson's Lockscreen is now an incremental update (Yay!)
* Data Sync Bug Fixed - Forever!
* Reverted Build Prop to fix connection problems
* Changed WiFi Scan rate to 2min instead of 45sec to save battery
* No Longer Requires Danger SPL
* Exclusive Latest BFS Kernel =P
* Tons more things - can't keep up with..

Kernel Updates in Build Y-2.6:
WG-Kernel 2.0
CFS/BFS Options & RHack/NoRhack Options
* SLOB Memory Allocator http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SLOB
* Preemptible RCU
* Group CPU Scheduling for FIFO Deadline (CFS-Only)
* Deadline I/O Scheduler (FIFO=1 in init.d)
* Longer Default Panic Timeout in case of major temporary slowdown (helps prevent random reboot)
* 5 Ticks per CPU Check for CPU Speed versus other dev's default 1
* Latest SD Drivers from Cyanogen
WG-Kernel v1.0
* Swap-enabled (plus working CC)
* Deadline I/O Scheduler (FIFO=1)
* Setup Group Scheduler for Deadline (CFS-Only)
* Using Tree-based hierarchial RCU
* CPUFreq Setup (with 45% CPU upspeed threshold)
* Enabled Preemptible Kernel
* WLAN.ko is compiled with Kernel Modules
* USB Function has Ethernet Tether
* WiFi Tether Enabled
* No unneeded modules such as SquashFS, CramFS, HID-Dummy, etc etc etc
* IPV6 is included in kernel
* EXT3 runs on EXT4 Drivers, EXT2 runs on old drivers
* Disabled Kernel Debugging (for faster usage)

PS if you like my ROM, rate it well =)

Includes:
  • Multiple kernels to select from
  • SmartA2SD (keeps system dalvik-cache on data partition)
  • Automatic ZipAlign (from CM 4.2.8 instead of my old script)
  • Latest CompCache modules
    ---- (xvmalloc.ko(by me) and ramzswap.ko(by Dwang) compiled from source)
  • EDGE/3G Modified Build.prop for faster throughput speeds
  • Meltu's Audiomod: v2r2
  • Maps with Navigation(3.3.1) (International Capable version(3.3.1))
  • APN Android App: Turns data on/off
  • cytown's Phone.apk v21
  • Wysie's Eclair Contacts.apk v1.72
  • Fix_Permissions 2.03
  • ClearCache (my own script)
  • Work E-Mail
  • WiFi Tether
  • Market 1.66
  • SlideMe

Known Bug: Also, looks like people are having trouble with GApps
Package manager doesn't resetup permissions for the apps

For anyone having any trouble with GApps, Maps, FB etc..
Use this: http://www.androidspin.com/downloads.php?dir=wesgarner/ROM/&file=fixme-signed.zip
Run the update, let it boot
Once it finishes, don't do anything - just reboot
Once it reboots the second time, log into your Google account and you're good!

Attachments

• device.jpg
    device.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 8,409
Last edited:

CardinS2U

Nov 23, 2006
flashed...waited 5 minutes so far at T-mobile Screen....dang this is long...how long you say this will take?

wesgarner

May 10, 2007
Birmingham, AL
flashed...waited 5 minutes so far at T-mobile Screen....dang this is long...how long you say this will take?

an eternity! ZipAlign all happens during the TMo screen - took me around 15min (but completely worth it)
check the logcat, it will give you details on what's going on (you can see it never freezes or crashes)

(said in the next post, but wanted to explain why)+
Zip Align reduces the amount of RAM used during processing running for a major speed increase in dex-opt and running the apps, along with the RAM hack and a CC (or your userinit) boots speeds incredibly: http://developer.android.com/guide/developing/tools/zipalign.html
Most developers have not used this yet, but this does for the system apps provided from the now old Google Apps
CM does not ZipAlign his apps as most dev's don't - but this is a great advancement in speed and RAM usage

Last edited:

wesgarner

May 10, 2007
Birmingham, AL
ZipAlign

Zip Align reduces the amount of RAM used during processing running for a major speed increase in dex-opt and running the apps, along with the RAM hack and a CC (or your userinit) boots speeds incredibly: http://developer.android.com/guide/developing/tools/zipalign.html
Most developers have not used this yet, but this does for the system apps provided from the now old Google Apps
CM does not ZipAlign his apps as most dev's don't - but this is a great advancement in speed and RAM usage

wesgarner

May 10, 2007
Birmingham, AL
ran for close to half hour. Gave up. going back to CM 4.2.6

you should wait - the first boot takes an eternity (sorry for that) - depending on the apps you run, ZipAlign will take a long process time
Boot will always be slow at first boot, then also slow when you install many apps
These enhancements prevent "out of RAM, removing background processes"

kingklick

Jun 23, 2009
where did u place the zipalign script to zipalign all apks

dont wana dl the whole rom bad connection here

CardinS2U

Nov 23, 2006
you should wait - the first boot takes an eternity (sorry for that) - depending on the apps you run, ZipAlign will take a long process time
Boot will always be slow at first boot, then also slow when you install many apps
These enhancements prevent "out of RAM, removing background processes"

took your word for it..wipped everything. wipped all apps. backed up mileage data then thats it..hahaha now restarting this..this time gonna let it run for an hour..hahaha lets hope it doesnt take that long......

woot..it made it

woah that took 5 minutes after a clean wipe..hahaha. Now at the android screen

thanks...

So u're saying every time I install new apps and shut down it will do that to the new apps installed?

Fnorder

Nov 8, 2008
Lake Vostok
Last edited:

gophergun

Feb 18, 2008
Actually I was wondering the same thing; I'd rather run this via
ssh or adb and stick with my current rom.

Plus if it's a run-once thing it would be a good utillity for recovery.img
I'm interested in this as well, if the only performance issues are increased boot up times, I'd like to try this on SenseHero if possible.

Fnorder

Nov 8, 2008
Lake Vostok
The script seems well coded and I'll probably use this rom as my next upgrade base. FYI, since system/etc/init.d/06zipalign checks all apks on bootup, you might want to use something besides md5sum. stat's printout of size:mtime should be enough, though cksum is faster too. On high load (like present on a bootup) md5sum took up to 8 seconds, cksum 5, and stat 0.3. This is for 66 apk's.

[root@phone]~/za/system/app# (time /system/opt/bin/busybox stat -c '%s:%Y' /data/app/*.apk)2>&1|grep real
real 0m0.120s

[root@phone]~/za/system/app# (time /system/opt/bin/busybox cksum /data/app/*.apk)2>&1|grep real
real 0m1.094s

[root@phone]~/za/system/app# (time /system/opt/bin/busybox md5sum /data/app/*.apk)2>&1|grep real
real 0m2.599s

Abolfazl

Jan 24, 2009
San Carlos, CA
abolfazl.me
This looks very promising. Only issue I have with it is that all of my settings and whatnot were cleared. I had to relink my google account and although all the apps are there all my settings are gone :(

AustinKnight45

Jan 11, 2009
Austin
This looks very promising. Only issue I have with it is that all of my settings and whatnot were cleared. I had to relink my google account and although all the apps are there all my settings are gone :(

You should use Backup for root next time it works for my setting and my desktop apps I have all over my screens.SOOOOOOOO has anyone flashed this rom yet?

Last edited: