[APP][4.0+] SwiP - Switch profiles intelligently 0.2.7 [Beta]

Search This thread

Aerkhanite

Jan 25, 2014

AllSeeyinEye

Dec 16, 2011
Well, I already stood corrected, so I don't quite understand why you have to repeat a previous given response and top that with some cocky remark...

Sent from my GT-i9505

Flow-Chi

Apr 29, 2013
Salzburg, AT
schro.fi
Wow thank you guys for the awesome responses!
I am overwhelmed by joy :)

Sorry it took me so long to reply, I wasn't at home for a few days..
So let's answer some of your questions (I hope I don't miss any).

Since you've open-sourced the app, why don't you upload it to f-droid.org?
It has succesfully been installed on an AOSP without any Gapps.
It would be great if you application was submitted on FDroid and would gain visibility toward open source user.

We are big F-Droid fans ourselves and totally want to add it to their repository, but what's keeping us from it at the moment are licensing issues.
Since we use Google Play Services for geofencing (which aren't FOSS software), we can't distribute it on F-Droid.
Maybe we'll be able to release it without the geofencing somehow (which would sadly take away a pretty nice feature).
Concerning this the self-implemented cell tower method would be rather nice, but it will still take some time till we get to it.

Got some suggestions:

- Use bluetooth connections as trigger
- Start apps in certain profiles (i.e. maps when connected to car bluetooth)
- Unlink call- and notification volume (I want to be able to hear calls at night (emergencies), but messages I do not need to hear)

Thanks for the feedback!
Bluetooth connections and starting apps in profiles are certainly on our to-do list
(Still need to make up a suitable interface)
We already had call and notification volume separated in an earlier version, but then joined them,
because some preinstalled roms from manufacturer's do not seem to differentiate between those two
(and it would cause some confusion if the volume is not set correctly).
Maybe we should add an option in the settings to split them?
Would you think that's an acceptable solution?

How about other languages? Any plans for that?
I'd be willing to translate to Dutch, if needed.
It's my mother tongue.

We'd love to get the app translated into other languages!
But since we only entrust ourselves with English and German, we need some voluntary translators (even though we know some other languages, but it's something different if you're required to translate applications).
So if anyone is interested, just send me a private message :)
Thanks Aerkhanite for your offer! I'll get to you soon :laugh:

Would it be possible to do this in 4.4 roms, open google apps and it automaticcalt triggers location toggle? Only problem is dialogue box popping asking for confirmation
Sorry, mate. I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say..
Do you mean that launching a certain application should trigger a profile (with gps active for example)?
I don't think we could do that..

Nice.
Would be better if it could switch off and reboot phone automatically.
I don't know if we're going to do that soon.. the risk's too high that the user presses a
profile by accident and then gets pissed :D

Just one thing, could it be possible to have the screen lock set to none instead of it set to slide?

We've invested quite some time in making the lockscreen function better, but we haven't had that much success yet :(
Seems like google doesn't want applications to mess with it :angel:
But we'll keep on trying, mostly because I'd prefer no lockscreen too.. (also the lockscreen setting seems too random at the moment).

One thing I noticed while playing with it for a few minutes: I added a trigger and set a marker in the location option, but the preference summary still says "ignored" under location. The app seems to be working fine based on that location though.
Also I think it would be nice if we can have a negation trigger, like "when not at this location".

As I've seen you've already added the issue to our issue tracker. Thanks for that!
Yeah a negotiation would be nice, you're right!
Where do you think should we add the option? Maybe inside the overflow-menu?

Once again: thank you all for the great feedback, you're really nice people!
Feel free to ask/remark anything!

Please consider that we are students who did this as an university project and are now trying to maintain the project in their free time, so it can sometimes take a while till new updates get released ;)

Reactions: eulae

ctbear

Oct 15, 2009
Seattle
As I've seen you've already added the issue to our issue tracker. Thanks for that!
Yeah a negotiation would be nice, you're right!
Where do you think should we add the option? Maybe inside the overflow-menu?

I am no UX designer, but something like a checkbox at the top of the trigger setup would be enough for me. I'm sure others have better designs.

JerryGNYC

Jun 28, 2010
You can't get here from there...
@Flow-Chi, regarding -
"Sorry, mate. I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say..
Do you mean that launching a certain application should trigger a profile (with gps active for example)?
I don't think we could do that.."

FWIW, Tasker does this, so it's possible. I use it to toggle screen rotation, display timeout, and others. A profile can handle multiple apps.

Or am I way off base in the way I'm interpreting what you said?

Thanks/Cheers,

-Jerry

ContactFront

Nov 16, 2012
We'd love to get the app translated into other languages!
But since we only entrust ourselves with English and German, we need some voluntary translators (even though we know some other languages, but it's something different if you're required to translate applications).
So if anyone is interested, just send me a private message :)
Thanks Aerkhanite for your offer! I'll get to you soon :laugh:

Actually there's a group of volunteer translators here on xda (i'm one of them:D),

Check out this thread, set up your project on Crowdin or Getlocalization then we can help you out:victory:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2069390

Last edited:

cvhovey

Jan 1, 2010
Thanks for developing this app. Though I previously bought Tasker and usually pride myself on learning things quickly, I'm a Tasker-flunky. SwiP has been easy to understand and use. Thanks!

Reactions: Flow-Chi

Flow-Chi

Apr 29, 2013
Salzburg, AT
schro.fi
I am no UX designer, but something like a checkbox at the top of the trigger setup would be enough for me. I'm sure others have better designs.

I'm sure we can come up with something that satisfies most users.
The checkbox certainly is a possibility, but we don't want the geofence selection to become overloaded (another user already stated that an address-bar would be nice and we agree on that).
So we'll see where this option will be hidden :D

FWIW, Tasker does this, so it's possible. I use it to toggle screen rotation, display timeout, and others. A profile can handle multiple apps.

No you got it right.. didn't know that was possible!
It certainly would be an interesting feature, but it's not on our to-do list at the moment.

Actually there's a group of volunteer translators here on xda (i'm one of them:D),

Check out this thread, set up your project on Crowdin or Getlocalization then we can help you out:victory:

Wow! That's awesome! :)
I'm going to set up a crowdin project in the next few days and post a link to it in the thread (and also here).

BTW: Is it normal for the google play developer console to mess with my feelings? :confused:
Yesterday the download count seen in the application overview was pretty amazing,
but today it's back to what it was a few days ago..
If I decide to check the advanced statistics it's still the higher count :silly:

JerryGNYC

Jun 28, 2010
You can't get here from there...
OK, I can respect that decision with no problems... :good:

It's a feature does come in handy. I recently got my S4 and I decided not to bring over all my Tasker tasks and profiles en masse. This morning I recreated a profile that, if I load any of 4 specific apps, it will turn on GPS, and turn it off a minute and 30 seconds after I exit the app.

MF4

Apr 28, 2013
Hi all,
Great to see that there is more competition in the profile automation world! It's always great to try them out!

My first impressions on trying it out for a while is that I have a hard time understanding the process. But I would totally understand if i'm not getting it right in the way the app should be set up. I am a Llama user and I love 2 things (in comparaison to SwiP) in the way to set automation up.

It's location-based. I probably have 20 actions based on my 'home' place. they are clear (for me at least) and organized correctly (folders). The way I understood SwiP, if I want 2 profiles at home, let's say one called 'basic' for data ON; and another one to swith WiFi on when watching youtube at home, i NEED to create 2 profiles.
My problem is that, in the end i would end up with too many profiles (and not triggers), when I actually need 3 (home, work, elsewhere). Either SwiP is not developped to be used like this, either I am not setting it up properly. Because I understand that you can have 50+ trigger actions, but I don't think we are supposed to have 10+ profiles.

My second thought is about organization (i totally understand the app is in its very early days ;) ). I like to be able to organize my actions under a common spec (profiles in my example). When testing, I would have a hard time remembering which trigger did what. I also was suprised to see that trigger actions were not highlighted when currently running. This would definitely help spotting configuration errors :)

All this said, great work so far! and thanks for giving us automation possibilities!

Flow-Chi

Apr 29, 2013
Salzburg, AT
schro.fi
If I want 2 profiles at home, let's say one called 'basic' for data ON; and another one to swith WiFi on when watching youtube at home, i NEED to create 2 profiles.
My problem is that, in the end i would end up with too many profiles (and not triggers), when I actually need 3 (home, work, elsewhere). Either SwiP is not developped to be used like this, either I am not setting it up properly. Because I understand that you can have 50+ trigger actions, but I don't think we are supposed to have 10+ profiles.

My second thought is about organization (i totally understand the app is in its very early days ;) ). I like to be able to organize my actions under a common spec (profiles in my example). When testing, I would have a hard time remembering which trigger did what. I also was suprised to see that trigger actions were not highlighted when currently running. This would definitely help spotting configuration errors :)

Yeah you're right, at the moment you'd need to create two profiles. I don't think we are going to change that soon as it still allows all possibilities (it only isn't the best structured solution).

We are not that location-centered as Llama so the current location isn't handled any differently than the other rules, the more important thing is the priority. If you use the priority right you should be able to get nearly the same setup as in Llama.

Maybe we'll add the feature to hide some profiles or to create profiles directly in a trigger, so they are only available for that trigger and not visible outside (I prefer the latter).

The interface is not really made for more complex setups like yours and highlighting currently triggered events doesn't really fit in there.
If the project becomes more powerful we'll most certainly need to think about a redesign, but its too early to do it now.

Still thanks a lot for the feedback we're surely going to heed it, when we've more advanced in development! :)

MF4

Apr 28, 2013
Yeah you're right, at the moment you'd need to create two profiles. I don't think we are going to change that soon as it still allows all possibilities (it only isn't the best structured solution).

We are not that location-centered as Llama so the current location isn't handled any differently than the other rules, the more important thing is the priority. If you use the priority right you should be able to get nearly the same setup as in Llama.

Maybe we'll add the feature to hide some profiles or to create profiles directly in a trigger, so they are only available for that trigger and not visible outside (I prefer the latter).

The interface is not really made for more complex setups like yours and highlighting currently triggered events doesn't really fit in there.
If the project becomes more powerful we'll most certainly need to think about a redesign, but its too early to do it now.

Still thanks a lot for the feedback we're surely going to heed it, when we've more advanced in development! :)

Thanks a lot for your reply!
Of course I understand that it is early in development, early in the beta dev too!! Especially compared to months of frustration from your competition in triggering just like i need it!

I will not forget to mention your app when i'm asked about a profile app! ;)

Reactions: Flow-Chi

t.daun

Feb 16, 2011
Berlin
Switching of CM based profiles

Hello,

glad to hear that an alternative profile switcher is in development. I wonder, if SwiP can take the profiles of CM based ROMs to switch between them. I tested LLama previously, then I came to various CM based ROMS that have profiles inside. At the moment I manually switch between these builtin profiles. It would be great to combine it with your triggers.

Flow-Chi

Apr 29, 2013
Salzburg, AT
schro.fi
I wonder, if SwiP can take the profiles of CM based ROMs to switch between them. I tested LLama previously, then I came to various CM based ROMS that have profiles inside. At the moment I manually switch between these builtin profiles. It would be great to combine it with your triggers.

That sounds like a nice idea! We'll look into it when we find the time.
(If it's easy to do, it would be really cool to add it!)

BTW:
We've released version 0.2.3 of SwiP today!
The often reported geofence bug should be fixed now :victory:
Also we've added new translations for German, Spanish and Dutch.
If you want to support us, you could translate SwiP into your native language here: https://crowdin.net/project/swip

The update's available here as attachment, on Bitbucket and Google Play as of today.

Please report any bugs you encounter :)

Happy profile switching!

Reactions: User_99

User_99

Jul 3, 2009
Beta works fine here on my Nexus 7. Sometimes I cannot set some values - ex for battery: if I want to open the dialogue for the checkboxes, it only flashes and the window do not open.

Small bug:
hyzuda9y.jpg

Feature request: Dark UI, please add a black / dark theme ;)

Updated German translation to be more consequent in the wording.

Last edited:

Flow-Chi

Apr 29, 2013
Salzburg, AT
schro.fi
Sometimes I cannot set some values - ex for battery: if I want to open the dialogue for the checkboxes, it only flashes and the window do not open.

I've never heard of the bug with the checkboxes, it's rather hard to fix for us as we can't really reproduce it..
The screenshot isn't really a bug, it's just the way my colleague decided to implement the profile selection, he stated that it's pretty common on the web and I just let him do his thing :p

Dark UI sounds really cool, we'll put it on our to-do list

Thanks for the German translations, a lot of them were horrible that's even sadder if you take into consideration that it is my native language :silly:

We've released a new update today fixing issues with the systemapp function and containing new translations (Chinese and Russian).
It also includes User_99's improvements for the German translation.

Cheers! :cowboy:

User_99

Jul 3, 2009
It's not the checkbox, it's the setting itself. If I want to select one, the options for this setting won't open. Only a flash of the selection is shown and will work after reopen the app.

No problem with the selection dialogue itself. What I want to say is, why is there the option "Wähle ein Profil aus"? Is this not the title? Or is this also an option?

Thx for kindly words about translation ;) Together it will be better and better :)

Bugteport: Currently have only one profile and one rule active. Profile Standard and trigger is time. In profile only set to change the sound-profile to silent. Timerange 17:00 till 07:30 and sound set to silent. It works fine at 17:00 and profile is active (sound goes silent) but in the morining it won't get activated again. Still silent at 07:50

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello there guys!

After some hard work we've finally reached a state where we'd really appreciate some reviews, publicity and feedback for our project.
    Most of all some feedback would be nice as we don't actually have a wide range of devices to test on.

Basically what we wanted to do is to implement an open source alternative to Llama, Trigger and all the other profile/automation apps.
    Of course we aren't nearly as advanced as they are at the moment.. but let's see where we are going to get with the help of you guys.

Here's the full description of what's possible right now:
    SwiP - Switch profiles intelligently

SwiP is an intelligent profile app for Android.
    It's meant to be an open source alternative to well-known apps like LLama and Trigger (though in a much smaller scale at the moment), which still offers some unique features.

PROFILES
    SwiP allows you to create, manage and apply profiles which can contain the following settings:

Sound:
    - Ringer Mode
    - Ringtone- & Notification Volume
    - Media Volume
    - Alarm Volume

Connectivity:
    - GPS
    - Mobile Data
    - WiFi
    - Bluetooth

Display:
    - Automatic Brightness
    - Brightness
    - Display Time Out

There are also some features which are unfortunately only available for rooted phones like NFC, Airplane Mode and Lockscreen.

TRIGGERS
    Furthermore the app offers trigger-management. A trigger basically defines a rule for the automatic application of selected profiles.
    The user is able to create said triggers and to use them for his daily workflow.

A trigger can contain the following rules:
    - Location (Geofence)
    - Time (Exact time or time range)
    - Battery State
    - Battery Level (Exact level or level range)
    - Headphone State

These rules can be freely combined (e.g. at a certain location AND a certain time).

So if you've got an Android 4.X device and want to give it a try, please go ahead! :)

There are already some known issues we are working on, like:
    - GPS only working on AOSP roms or when installed as system app (still searching for a way to find out which rom is running)
    - Lockscreen only working on some devices, on other devices it simply accepts every PIN/Pattern (here some feedback would be really nice!)
    - Priority not implemented the best way possible.. just didn't find the time yet to implement a drag&drop list
    - User interface is not as intuitive as we'd liked it to be. There will be a tutorial some time..

If you find any bugs, please don't hesitate to report them here: https://bitbucket.org/fschrofner/swip/issues

Also feel free to send us pull requests, we'd love to get other developers involved.
    Check out the source: https://bitbucket.org/fschrofner/swip/

Changelog

If you'd like to help us out, you could participate in the translations here: https://crowdin.net/project/swip

If you like the project, show some <3 and rate it
    Direct Downloads
    Google Play
    Sometimes I cannot set some values - ex for battery: if I want to open the dialogue for the checkboxes, it only flashes and the window do not open.

I've never heard of the bug with the checkboxes, it's rather hard to fix for us as we can't really reproduce it..
    The screenshot isn't really a bug, it's just the way my colleague decided to implement the profile selection, he stated that it's pretty common on the web and I just let him do his thing :p

Dark UI sounds really cool, we'll put it on our to-do list

Thanks for the German translations, a lot of them were horrible that's even sadder if you take into consideration that it is my native language :silly:

We've released a new update today fixing issues with the systemapp function and containing new translations (Chinese and Russian).
    It also includes User_99's improvements for the German translation.

Cheers! :cowboy:

I'm sure we can come up with something that satisfies most users.
    The checkbox certainly is a possibility, but we don't want the geofence selection to become overloaded (another user already stated that an address-bar would be nice and we agree on that).
    So we'll see where this option will be hidden :D

No you got it right.. didn't know that was possible!
    It certainly would be an interesting feature, but it's not on our to-do list at the moment.

Wow! That's awesome! :)
    I'm going to set up a crowdin project in the next few days and post a link to it in the thread (and also here).

BTW: Is it normal for the google play developer console to mess with my feelings? :confused:
    Yesterday the download count seen in the application overview was pretty amazing,
    but today it's back to what it was a few days ago..
    If I decide to check the advanced statistics it's still the higher count :silly:
    This looks great, really looking forward to seeing where you can take this! Been wanting to see some decent competition for llama (despite how much I love it).

The only thing stopping me from testing this as a daily driver is the fact that it doesn't do location by cell tower. I typically keep my GPS off, and llama profiles are changed based on cell location.

Love the interface though, good luck with it!
    Triggers bugs

Hi there. Thanks for good app. But i have some issues. First day of using app was good. But now i have problem with location trigger for profile Home (priority 90).
    This trigger no have time starts-ends and day of week. Only location trigger whith 150 m radius. I works good when i go from office to home. In this case it change in correct way when i am close to my home. But in the morning, when i drive car to office it not swich off when i am far from home. It changes only when i arrive to office (profile Work with location, time and day trigger). To explaine much easier here is my profiles:
    1) Home. Trigger only with location condition (150m). Priority 90
    2) Default. Trigger without any condition. Priority 80.
    3) Work. Trigger with day of week, start-end time and location (150m) contitions. Priority 90.

Work change to Default only on time ends condition. When i walk for lunch (about 1 km) it not changes to default. :(
    Default change to Home when i arrive to home. :good:
    Home not change to default when i go to work (phone use gps at this moment with navigation app). :(

Maybe i understand incorrect this triggers? But i think it should change automaticaly when i am out of this 150 m radius. I change profile to Default manually, but in few seconds it back to Home automaticaly, even if i am 3-5 km from home :crying: