Moderation Announcement (added by @dark alex)
Hi together this is an important announcement!
As you knew Mike an me we were talking about a dedicated section.
This is now achieved and I am requested by him to sort things out from here.
I will split out some Key knowledge posts, for example malaysks Firmware-Post, to new Threads in our subforums.
Please if you create new work open you own Thread in the new forums. If you already have posted here probably wait until I split your post out or write to me to ensure I will split you out if you think I missed you or you have a critical release.
Please open your own thread for your questions in our new section. I can not split out every question from here. This thread will be left over for searching so please if you have current questions just ask in our new Q&A-Section.
I will start splitting up this thread in about one hour.
You can find the new section at the bottom of this link:
This is a new thread for this car dvd that was first reported on comment #2224 of the AN-21 U thread.
Probably you are here because:
All this is covered in this post and most of the problems that you can have are summarized in this post too. Please read this first post before asking. And use the search function of the thread, before asking. Thanks.
- you want to root your unit. Only units with ROMs 4.2.2 can be rooted (see below how). The only way to have a rooted 4.4.x is installing a pre-rooted ROM (see below how)
- you have a problem (no internet, no sound, buttons do not work, bad mic quality, rear camera image not showing, door opening not showing, etc.
- you want to upgrade your unit to a newer software that has sleep mode, personalized music app, personalized functions, root, xposed, can remap buttons, etc.
TRICKS THAT MIGHT SAVE 1000 QUESTIONS ON THE THREAD
How to root my unit. Only 4.2.2 can be rooted with an app (see below). To have rooted 4.4x you must install a pre-rooted ROM (see below)
Get sound when in reverse (thanx to @Keylo Lo)
Engineering/Factory settings password "126" (thanx to @blankers)
This allows you to change logo, sound volume, SWC codification, etc.
Activate USB debugging --> Go to Factory Settings and enter password "adbon".
System sound is low compared to Radio--> Go to Factory settings and change volume levels
GPS button does not trigger GPS app You need to choose predefined GPS app, in Settings--> GPS
Get Into Recovery
2 After about 5 secs release reset button, but keep pressing power button
3 When booting screen appears release power button.
4 It boots into recovery.
--Update 1-- some units without front USB have a different procedure
Firstly power on the unit and then long press the power button and then reset. Then the unit will get three rings and you loose your hand on the power button and short press the power button again. (thanx @netay)
--Update 2-- some others have this procedure (thanx @R4D3N)
1. Turn off the unit by holding 3-4 sec the power button.
2. Hold the RESET button + POWER button for 5 sec
3. Release the RESET button and keep pressing the POWER button for 2 sec
4. Release the POWER button and wait. The Recovery menu appears.
5. With the Volume knob you can move up/down and long press on Volume/Power button to select the option.
Get Into Bootloader
1- boot the unit as usual.
2- plug the front usb of the unit to your computer usb.
3- Then, push the reset button and the power button at once and keep them pushed. The reset button is the tiny pin next to the mp3 sdcard. The power button is the volume knob. You will hear the power cut throught the speakers.
4- Release reset button and keep power button pushed. Now the unit will reboot. You will see nothing, just a black screen. Do not release the power button yet. Your computer will detect a " new hardware", that is the RolckChip. When you hear the windows noise of new detected hardware, you can release power button. It will automatically install the drivers.
HOW TO UPGRADE YOUR SYSTEM
- MCU your unit, there are many (KGL, KGL1, KGL2, KGL3, KGL4, KGL5, KLD, KLD1, KLD2, JY, GS, KYD, MD, BN, HA, MX), If you install the wrong MCU, you will brick your unit.
To know which one you have. Go to Settings -->About
If still not clear, see: here or here.
If you cannot find it here, it probably means that you are in the wrong thread.
- Resolution of your unit. 800x480 or 1024x600. If you install the wrong ROM, you will brick your unit.
- Chip of your unit RK3066 or RK3188. It does not really matter, ROMs and MCU are compatible between chips.
Upgrading is supposed to be a safe operation, but you never know what can happen. So, before updating make sure that:
1- To backup of your system the easiest way is download nandroid root from google play, and do a nandroid backup with TWRP format). Save it in your external SD.
2- make sure you can enter in bootloader mode (see below how to)
3- it is recommended to backup your apps and data (use titanium from google play). The update will do a factory reset.
FOLLOW THIS TO UPGRADE YOUR ROM AND/OR MCU
0- Do a back up (copy the files somewhere safe) of your internal SD card memory. It will be wiped during the process.
1- Download the ROM (Resolution 1024x600 or 800x480) and MCU (KGL, KLD, JY, GS,RM, MX, BN, HA) for your unit.
ROMs--> repository This will get you a file named update.img. There are different "flavors" of ROMs.
MCUs--> Latest MCUs by Malaysk are here . This will get you a file named mcu.imgCode:
2- copy the update.img you have chosen to the root of your GPS card.
3- copy the mcu.img for your specific unit to the root of your GPS card (if you do not want to update mcu.img, you can skip this step)
4- insert back the GPS card to the unit. If no window pops up, reboot the unit. At boot, the presence of update.img will be detected and a pop up window will ask you whether you want to update your unit. It will automatically reboot into recovery mode and update your unit. Once done, remove update.img and mcu.img from the root of the gps card or you will be asked every boot for an update.
5- In some Coudu´s (sd partition of 3Gb) and Malaysk´s ROMs versions, it is necessary to do a factory reset just after the first boot so that everything works properly.
6- If you lost buttons or radio after the upgrade --> Go to Factory settings (password 126) and choose the proper canbus for your car and the radio chipset. You can change boot logo if you want.
* If you get Google services error after upgrading to KitKat see this and this
THINGS YOU MAY WONDER BEFORE BUYING A HEADUNIT
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Code:- Boot Up:: time is around 30s. - GPS: GPS positions very fast. TomTom, Navigon, Sygic, and regular off-line GPS work. Navigon and Sygic have some problems with some ROMs - Stand by mode: Latest ROMs and MCU have the possibility of choosing stand by mode with various times chosen. - Radio: radio stations are saved as frequencies - Bluetooth contacts: contacts are saved on the device. - Works fine with Bose system (Audi) - Possible ground loop noise that needs some tricks to be removed (see section problems) - Torque works and can run in parallel with A2DP - ELM327 works (might need special app like CarService in very weird cases) - Camera works (might be better to get the one with RK3188 chip) - There is no automatic brightness control because the unit does not have light sensor, but there are apps that can help - The touch screen is extremely responsive. It works as good as most phones.
HOW TO ROOT AND INSTALL TWRP
Instructions to get root (thanx to @webdude12)
It only works for Android 4.2.2. If you want to root 4.4.x you need to take apart update.img and inject SuperUser app (this is only for experts as @coudu, @Malaysk, @dsa8310 ). The alternative is to install a 4.4.x pre-rooted image and you do not have to do anything else. See below in HOW TO UPGRADE YOUR UNIT section how to do it.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you want to root your 4.2.2, download Root Master 2.1.1 here
The app will automatically install SuperUser.Code:1- Install the APK. 2- Make sure you are connected to WiFi and you have an internet connection. 3- Open Root Master (do not upgrade to newer version unless you can read chinese, The newest version has different options, all in chinese. Version 2.1.1 just has a button that says "root".)) 4- Press root button 5- Chinese characters will flash across the screen. 6- A second popup box will appear, press the purple button.
This program connects to servers oversea sending hardware information. The downloads a script that will attempt to root the device. If the first script fails, it downloads additional ones. Future goal is monitor this communication with a data logger and find which script works, so that a unique program can be written to achieve root.
How to install TWRP recovery (thanx to Abdul_pt from Freaktab and 1-2-Hak and coudu)
You do not really need to install TWRP unless you wanna mod the rom yourself, if you mod roms you will know that already.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- a.t.m. you need a mouse to use TWRP because touch is not working yet
- if you install TWRP, you will not be able to update the update.img and mcu.img the way it was explained above.
If you still want to install TWRP:
Android 4.2.2 800x480
Download files here
And follow the post by 1-2-Hak
Android 4.4.2 800x480
Follow this: this
TWRP for 1024x600
See this post
TRICKS AND MODDED APPS THAT DO WONDERS
- Install app without adb when regular install does not work
Sometimes the app won't install normally and you need to sideload it.. This means that you need a computer and adb wifi. There is another way with which you won't need a computer. You just need to install a terminal emulator (you need root ).
1- Download the terminal emulator app you preferDone, you are app is now installed.
2- Download the app you want to install to /mnt/sdcard
3- Open terminal emulator
4- On the terminal navigate to /mnt/sdcard by typing
- cd /mnt/sdcard - su - pm install "NameOfTheApp".apk
- Modified Radio Apps
To install radios you need to copy the app using ESExplorer or Root Explorer straight to /system/app in place of MTCRadio.apk
Radio version 4.2.2 800x480
- Blue theme (thanx @1-2-Hak)
- Rally style Buttons have been moved and skin changed for a Rally like one.
- Forest style. Colors have been changed and frequency name is in big.
- 1024x600. Has animation, in blue tones
- Car Service. Allows to use SWC and buttons with 3rd party apps (Latest Malysk ROMs already include it).
Download here (thanx @@KeiserSozeyFr)
If it does not install, copy directly to /system/app
- Microntek HeadUnit Service Latest Malaysk ROMs include it. It allows to use SWC with non native apps. It allows to make calls and send messages from Android part of HU, and to show toasts. You can find it straight on Google Play.
There is a modified version (probably outdated) with early start of services here
- Moded Music app. Two versions. One is the original with expanded list, so full names can be seen, and the other one has the list integrated in the background so it is always visible.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=894 (thanx to @dark alex)
anoher one here
- Set Loud Latest ROMs do no need it.
Just install this app: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=963 (thanx to @dark alex)
You need Tasker or Automagic or similar app.
Set up a task that runs at boot with the following code as "shell command"
am broadcast -a com.microntek.irkeyDown --ei keyCode 44
How to: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=1058
- Speed-sincronized volume increase (AKA GALA)
This app will modify the volume of your unit according to the speed. The amount sensitivity can be adjusted.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=931 (thanx to @dark alex)
- PowerAmp Toast (thanx @agentdr8)
This app will show title/album/album art when tracks change while PowerAmp is in background.
- Rear Camera without icons (icons were included in the KitKat version 4.4.2) (thanx @typos1 and 4pda.ru guys)
- KLD Launcher 4.4.2 with bigger date
Launcher see picture
FILE REPOSITORY, FIRMWARES and MCUs for KGL/KLD/GS/RM/JY/MD
- Repository (everything is here, firmware up to date, mcus not so much)
- More updated MCUs from @Malaysk & @darkleo --> here
Some of the firmwares are... (list not updated)
- Custom KitKat 4.4.2 by 4pad.ru (RK3066)
- Coudu's 4.4.4 v4.2 (RK3066) (January 2015 release), see here
- Coudu v4.0 and v4.1 have some problems. v4.2 is good (specially releases 150113 for KLD and 150113 for KGL). You might need MTCControlSettings.apk as in these latest releases coudu removed it.
- Malaysk's roms (RK3066) w/ and w/o NEXT launcher, also 4.4.4 here
- JY Android version is this one
- Malaysk's roms (RK3066) version 24/05/15 Download here. It allows the remapping of the radio buttons.
- dsa8310 JY rooted ROM 150513 (RK3188) Download here
PROBLEMS AND SOLUTIONS FOUND BY THE USERS
- @webdude12 got a black screen while driving due to a broken clip (see attachment to figure out which one). One solution is to glue the clip so that it does not get loose. Not doing that can end up in major problems.
- Unit might not boot on very hot conditions as it has a thermostate to avoid possible problems. It will work normally when cooled down.
- Some apps do not show completely in the screen due to the low resolution.
However, there's a great solutions for that:
- you need root
- install xposed framework (google it)
- probably you need to sideload the apk with ADB as the unit refuses to install it normally.
- install "app settings" module in xposed framework (you can change dpi for individual apps and make them fit in the screen)
- When add a google account, it doesn't show under accounts
fix --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=1303
- Wifi or buttons do not work after update to 1.86 or 1.99 firmware versions
- This happens because the MCU or kernel of the new version is not adequate for your unit. Luckily MCUs and kernels are mixable for the same unit.
fix --> Install newest firmware with an older MCU in the usual way. Then install the kernel of a version you know used to work.
To install kernel alone --> Here and files needed here.
Kernel install for doomies (with pics): here
- No radio reception
fix --> your ground cable might be loose Sold it back. see this and this and this.
- SD card unexpectedly removed // USB unexpectedly removed
fix --> Thanx to @ R4D3N here
- Mic sound is awful
-- WARNING --
For any unit, before removing the capacitor with the purpose of separating the BT card from the internal mic, you must make sure (with a multimeter) that the capacitor to be cut interconnects the MIC entry of the BT card with the internal mic. Please note that the capacitor is on the motherboard in the immediate vicinity of the (vertical) BT card (pics on fix for JY units can help you)
- fix for JY units --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=7036
- fix for KGL units --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=3982 and http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=3964
- fix for KLD units --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=4592
- Bluetooth modules not pairing
fix --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=4544
- Google service error after upgrading to KitKat 4.4.2
fix --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=4866
and --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=4925
- Wrong door being shown open. Only VW and KitKat 4.4.2
fix --> Go to factory settings, change "Rude"
- TomTom not working on KK 4.4.*
fix --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=5336
--WARNING-- if you installed chainfire SuperSU you have to slightly modify install-recovery.sh. You must substitute /system/xbin/su --daemon & --> /system/xbin/daemonsu --auto-daemon &
- TomTom bundle: use maps stored on external SD// Update TomTom maps with map share free// Early start of softwares// SWC from boot/install-recovery.sh
see --> this (thanx to @dsa8310 WARNING: see post #10440 and comments therein when using install-recovery.sh)
summary of early start services commands --> here
- Sygic not installing
see --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=9020
- 3G USB Dongle not working properly
Probably is due to the USB is underpowered. Use a (externally) powered USB hub. Or follow this how to to power the USBs of your unit.
how to --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=8949
the following 2-3 pages contain comments about that mod worth reading.
see --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=7614
Another how to for external powered USB hub--> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=9011
- 3G connection lost after some drive
see --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=8162
and --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=9017
- DVR camera not recording or stopping - DailyRoads Voyager app
see --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=8383
also --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=9007
- Viper4Android not working properly
Check this and look for Viper4Android config here
- When I try to install an app, I cannot tap the "install" button
This happens because you are using a screen dimmer. It is a protection function. Just temporarily disable screen dimmer app and you will be able to install the app.
- Radio does not show proper pty
Download this modified version (it is v 4.2.2) of RadioMTC
- Start apps while booting, you need install-recovery.sh script (included in latest Malaysk ROM)
Read this post to understand how it works. If PowerAmp is auto starting at everyboot, see this
- Improve Radio quality by replacing hardware parts. Thanks to 4pda.ru
see --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...ostcount=12932
- Remap radio buttons. Thanks to 4pda.ru and agentdr8
- Upgrade RK3066 to RK3188 (needs hardware replacement)
see --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...ostcount=13086
or this --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...ostcount=18752
- Replace damaged touch screen
tutorial --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...ostcount=18752