[Q] No Sound and No Phone Calls After Updating Firmware and Rom, what should I do?

Search This thread

micah.weihert

Jan 15, 2013
I have used custom roms for a while about 4 years on various models, I consider myself to know enough to get the job done and sometimes I know enough to get myself in trouble.

I ungraded my Galaxy S4 Sprint phone firmware to NAE from (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2338919), and then I put the KitKat rom from (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2650706), and when it came up, it did not have Data or Cell connectivity, (Said Unknown in settings screen) it had Wifi, and it had NO SOUND at all. So I moved back and put a 4.3 rom on there, and I got back the Data and Cell connectiviy, but still no SOUND at all, and when I used the Dialer app and dial a number it went to a white screen and then locked up and Force Closed.

Then I tried to go back and put MK2 firmware on from that same post above with same results. I have tried many ROM's of many varieties of Android and NO SOUND at all.

I am using Philz Recovery and doing the Wipe for Clean Install many times and then rebooting back into recovery mode before I install any Rom. I am using Odin 3.07 for the Modem firmware updates and have no indication that they are installing wrong.

I have searched for the solution on these forums and googleing it for the better part of 4 hours (At a late night job). I have not been able to fix it.

Please help. I have wifi, I can text and receive texts. I can not make phone calls or recieve phone calls. I can not play sounds or hear any sounds come from phone. Haptic response happens when it should.
I plan on going and downloading one of the Sprint Stock Roms to take it back to stock through and through to see if that helps and will post it that works, but if there is another solution with detailed steps to take, let me know.

micah.weihert

Jan 15, 2013
[SOLVED] No SOUND after update.

... I plan on going and downloading one of the Sprint Stock Roms to take it back to stock through and through to see if that helps and will post it that works, but if there is another solution with detailed steps to take, let me know.

And that Plan worked. I downloaded the stock MK2 rom from sammobile website, using the free signup and then I used Odin 3.09 putting that rom in the AP spot.

Afterwards, I was Knoxed and Un Rooted, but I had SOUND where as before I did not.

So back to the process of de-knoxing and rooting.
I did find this process on XDA finally. Thanks.

ograyray

Jan 13, 2011
And that Plan worked. I downloaded the stock MK2 rom from sammobile website, using the free signup and then I used Odin 3.09 putting that rom in the AP spot.

Afterwards, I was Knoxed and Un Rooted, but I had SOUND where as before I did not.

So back to the process of de-knoxing and rooting.
I did find this process on XDA finally. Thanks.

i'm having thesame issue, flashed NAE modem and every ROM after that has had no sound, constant re-boots, locking up, some ROMS work fine, others are unusable, but they all have the same problem: no sound. I'm goin g to flash back stock like you did, glad i searched before i created a thread just like yours, wish me luck.