2,488 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,027

By bhiga, Recognized Contributor on 9th January 2014, 10:57 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
28th February 2014, 12:31 AM |#31  
Flag Cape Coral, Florida
Thanks Meter: 60

More
so you are saying that the speed of my isp affects streaming videos stored on my device to chromecast even though it is not going to the internet through any servers? i'm talking just allcast or avia casting content stored on my Nexus 5

28th February 2014, 07:43 AM |#32  
OP Recognized Contributor

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobprobert

so you are saying that the speed of my isp affects streaming videos stored on my device to chromecast even though it is not going to the internet through any servers? i'm talking just allcast or avia casting content stored on my Nexus 5

No it doesn't, but I was curious whether you really meant 10 megabytes or 10 megabits.
28th February 2014, 11:05 AM |#33  
Thanks Meter: 2,179

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga

bubbleguuum posted some some real-world experience and said essentially anything over 5 Mbit will be problematic, and most 1080p stuff is recorded at higher than 5 Mbit/sec.

I now think that 5Mbps is a bit low. I think problems *can* definitely happen in the 8-20Mbps range, depending on the WiFi connection quality and its ability to sustain a stable bitrate.
For reference, 1080p videos taken by the Nexus5 camera are about 17Mbps (close to 2 MB/s). I recorded such a video and one day it stuttered repeatedly, then the other day it played almost fine.
WiFi is really hit and miss (often miss) for streaming high bitrate content.
The problem with WiFi (vs wired) is that it is horribly bad at maintaining a stable high output bitrate: it can get high but it is very spiky and can get very low. Unlike Ethernet. This is really visible of you compared both with a network monitoring tool showing network bitrate output over time, streaming a high res video.
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbleguuum For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bubbleguuum Ad-Free
28th February 2014, 12:04 PM |#34  
Flag Cape Coral, Florida

More
Quote:

No it doesn't, but I was curious whether you really meant 10 megabytes or 10 megabits.

10 megabits but i don't have any problem streaming from the internet through the chromecast. for instance any home videos uploaded to google plus photos stream fine through avia but the same videos stutter when streamed directly from my phone. also 1080p videos i download from youtube stream fine from the device. the only time i get stutter is when i stream home movies shot in 1080 or 720 from my device
28th February 2014, 05:03 PM |#35  
OP Recognized Contributor

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

10 megabits but i don't have any problem streaming from the internet through the chromecast. for instance any home videos uploaded to google plus photos stream fine through avia but the same videos stutter when streamed directly from my phone. also 1080p videos i download from youtube stream fine from the device. the only time i get stutter is when i stream home movies shot in 1080 or 720 from my device

If the same file (that isn't being transcoded) plays OK from Internet and not from a device, then it's either the device not being able to send fast enough, or your WiFi is being overloaded (because there's double the traffic to the router).
28th February 2014, 07:17 PM |#36  
Flag Cape Coral, Florida

More
well my phone is a nexus 5 and has the fastest processor currently available and my router supports transfers up to 350Mbs on wireless N so i don't know what could be the issue. is everyone else able to stream from their device without stutter?
28th February 2014, 08:09 PM |#37  
Thanks Meter: 95

More
Quote:

well my phone is a nexus 5 and has the fastest processor currently available and my router supports transfers up to 350Mbs on wireless N so i don't know what could be the issue. is everyone else able to stream from their device without stutter?

I have some homework for you. I know this can be extremely frustrating. I've gone through it. Now Take 2 files, one that works fine and one that doesn't. Transfer them both to a pc. Right click--->properties--->details. Compare the two files. I would guess that the file(s) that doesn't work will have a much higher bit-rate.

Despite what routers claim, and what the Chromecast claims, and what the guy at best buy claims, the numbers on the boxes aren't close to real world, sustained usage (it seems from my experience anyway). This is why the CC should have Ethernet. Period. And this is why Google doesn't officially support local video. If you want to cast your recorded vids, I suggest you run them through Handbrake with the settings I posted in the linked thread and they'll work. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6#post50682486 Is that a pain in the balls? Yes. Was the Chromecast sold to you promising local video casting? No. Local video is something we're all trying to steal out of the device. Doing something with a device it wasn't designed for will ALWAYS come with hurdles and/or downfalls. It seems we all want our $35 apple tv

Edit:
Suggestions other than Encoding:
Put all media onto a lan connected device and/or have the CC connected to a router that nothing else uses which you connect to when you want to cast local media.
Reason why:
If you don't have any kind of media shaping or QoS (Quality of Service) set up, a router splits attention with all the devices that are talking to it. This means 5 devices and 2 way talking (phone to router--->router to CC) chop up that advertised 350mbps real quick (and like I said, that 350 is a peak theoretical value).

Do keep in mind that this is all as i understand it...afaik
The Following User Says Thank You to sherdog16 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sherdog16 Ad-Free
1st March 2014, 12:23 PM |#38  
Flag Cape Coral, Florida

More
so i hooked up a toshiba USB hard drive to the router and put my media files onto it. using the bubbleupnp app i tried streaming from the hard drive to the cc. it does make an improvement but still choppy. the hard drive is hooked to the usb 3.0 port on the back of the router so i don't know what else i could do besides moving the tv into the room with the router and that isn't possible. guess i just have to wait until chromecast 2.0 comes out and hope they fix whatever is ailing it now. thanks for the help guys
1st March 2014, 01:49 PM |#39  
Thanks Meter: 2,179

More
Quote:

so i hooked up a toshiba USB hard drive to the router and put my media files onto it. using the bubbleupnp app i tried streaming from the hard drive to the cc. it does make an improvement but still choppy. the hard drive is hooked to the usb 3.0 port on the back of the router so i don't know what else i could do besides moving the tv into the room with the router and that isn't possible. guess i just have to wait until chromecast 2.0 comes out and hope they fix whatever is ailing it now. thanks for the help guys

To address this bandwidth issue, the next version of BubbleUPnP will allow to specify a max bitrate that force transcoding if the original video is of a higer bitrate.
For example, if you play a 1080p camera video whose bitrate is 18Mbps and you've specified a max bitrate of 10Mbps, it would be transcoded to a 10Mbps 720p video and play smoothly.
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbleguuum For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bubbleguuum Ad-Free
1st March 2014, 06:47 PM |#40  
When streaming from your phone, each device only gets one half of the routers bandwidth capability if you are running both devices on 2.5ghz.

When streaming from the Internet, the Chromecast is the only device on your wifi involved and gets close to all the router's wifi bandwidth.

Sent from my DROID Maxx using Tapatalk
9th July 2014, 02:22 PM |#41  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:

See the attachments for use examples and how the required bandwidth can multiply: Note that the 10 Mbps figure is just an example.

1. Standard Internet stream example
    YouTube, Hulu Plus, HBO Go, VEVO, etc use this methodology
  2. Direct stream from LAN storage example
    Plex (from a local Plex server) and fling (from a desktop) work this way. Desktop and Tab casting from Chrome also uses this data flow.
    Data is sent from the LAN device via WiFi
    Chromecast receives data from the LAN device via WiFi
  3. Streaming from wireless device storage example
    Casting content stored on the device (device-local) from Avia or RealPlayer Cloud use this method.
    Data is sent from the casting device via WiFi to Chromecast
    Chromecast receives data via WiFi
  4. Forwarding from LAN storage example
    Casting content stored on a LAN device (DLNA, network share, etc) from Avia uses this method.
    Data is sent from the LAN device to casting device running Avia via WiFi
    Data is sent from the casting device running Avia via WiFi to Chromecast - this is the forwarding piece, data travels through
    Chromecast receives data via WiFi

To optimize available bandwidth for Chromecast:
  • Use an 802.11n dual-band router and put your other wireless devices on the 5 GHz access point whenever possible
    or use a separate WiFi access point connected to the wired network for Chromecast
  • Use wired connections for cast sources (server/desktop/laptop) wherever possible
  • Reencode high-bitrate media to lower bitrate (4 Mbps should be fine for most use)
  • Optimize Chromecast's ability to get a stable WiFi signal - move it away from the TV using the HDMI extender or an HDMI extension cable
    and/or move your router so it's closer to Chromecast (but not too close - too close can get into a "drowned in the noise" situation)

I am thankful I found this post. I have been having trouble streaming mp4 files from my desktop pc (the file won't stream smoothly) and thought it was a files size issue. I tried to encode the files down into very small files thinking that was the problem, but this produces poor video quality. However, it may not be a problem with the file size, but rather just be my process/setup. I am currently using Localcast on my phone to browse to the file on my wired PC, and then stream that to my chromecast. I was under the impression the phone handed off the address of the file to the chromecast and from that point the pc was casting directly to the chromecast. However, looking at the comments above, I wonder if it is actually streaming through my phone. Is that the case? If so, that could explain the poor streaming performance.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)