[APP] BLN control - the official BLN settings app by neldar

Search This thread

dcalpha

Mar 13, 2013
I am using a T989 with rooted stock TouchWiz 4.1.3 Rom and ARC 1.3 Kernel. My display settings have the capacitive lights as "always on" when the screen is on. I have BLN on blink settings (3 sec on -3 sec off)

If I press the power button after I receive a notification during the 3 sec ON, everything works fine. If I press the power button during the 3 sec OFF, the capacitive buttons flash once quickly and stay off while the screen is on.

Is this a bug in other devices as well? any idea if any settings can help remedy this issue?

airadier

Jan 18, 2008
Zaragoza
www.bodegueros.net

Persian Ace

May 12, 2013
Tehran
My plan is that this app can detect calendar and call notfications. And beside that you should be able to enable/disable led notification for the other touchwiz apps, that already support led notifications.
But that is not implemented yet.

Hi
I have one question.please answer me:
My phone is galaxy ace s5830.when my phone's android was 2.3.5 ( gingerbread) and i was recieving one message or e-mail or connecting charger and usb;my phone's both LCD and LED was turning on.but now have installed android 4.2(custom cm).what should i do to turning LCD or LED on while recieving sms or other.i have installed BLN-control free and NStools but sometimes LED is turned on only.in case charger connecting or sms and e-mail recieving LED dont work.in Bln screen had written"this kernel dont support bln.i have used some kernels but all writes it.which kernel supports bln in jelly bean?
Thank you and sorry for my english

geopapa

Aug 28, 2011
BLN on i9070

Hi,
I have a Samsung Galaxy S Advance I9070 phone with Maclaw's 4.4 CM ROM (maclaw.pl/2014/01/13/release-cyanogenmod-11-0-s-advance-3/) which says it has BLN compatible kernel. I can activate BLN from the app (BLN enabled with green letters) but it doesn't work :(. Is there something I could try to make it work or is it kernel related? If somebody knows please answer ..
Thanks.

joaor10

Feb 26, 2012
Porto
Hi,
I have a Samsung Galaxy S Advance I9070 phone with Maclaw's 4.4 CM ROM (maclaw.pl/2014/01/13/release-cyanogenmod-11-0-s-advance-3/) which says it has BLN compatible kernel. I can activate BLN from the app (BLN enabled with green letters) but it doesn't work :(. Is there something I could try to make it work or is it kernel related? If somebody knows please answer ..
Thanks.

What time was it when you tested that? Bln has schedule active by default... Could be that somehow you missed that?

Enviado do meu Nexus S através de Tapatalk

Reactions: geopapa

geopapa

Aug 28, 2011
What time was it when you tested that? Bln has schedule active by default... Could be that somehow you missed that?

BLN control has a test section to test if it actually works. You tap the "Led notification" and it must work next time the screen is off regardless of any schedules. It doesn't :(

joaor10

Feb 26, 2012
Porto
BLN control has a test section to test if it actually works. You tap the "Led notification" and it must work next time the screen is off regardless of any schedules. It doesn't :(

Exactly. But i'm using slimkat and the test section does not work too. However the Bln works really well. Test it. Turn it on, wait for a message or email and it could work.

Reactions: geopapa

iceviper2610

Feb 21, 2011
I'm using a GT-I9195 with cm-11-20140205-NIGHTLY, 0140105 gapps and 1.3.0 f4ktion kernel and experienced problems with BLN during the last time. Now I tried to find out the reason and as it seems it is somehow related to the runtime used. With Dalvik everything is working as usual. After activating ART the functionality is gone. Activating and deactivating BLN or rebooting with different BLN settings doesn't make a difference. The only thing that solves the issue is switching back to Dalvik. On my device this is reproducible. Can anyone confirm this on a different device?

Reactions: Whitest
Jul 29, 2012
Blinking will not cancel after notification cleared

Hi Neldar

I have BLN control - Pro Version 0.19.6, and an issue with Blinking.
Show Notifications Ticked - Enable Privacy Guard Cleared

After receiving a notification and clearing it the blinking continues, if I cover the proximity sensor it turns off and resumes again when uncovered. Pressing power button (short press) to close the phone turns off the lights blinking resumes again after a few minutes without a new notification, however if power button is used to wake the phone ( short press) when lights are out - blinking resumes (no notifications present) - the only way I have found to clear the blinking is to disable and renable BLN within the app.

It seems as if the 'short press' power button cycle is not clearing the notification setting.

Samsung Captivate Glide SGH-i927

cm-11-20140131-UNOFFICIAL-i927
Build Date Fri Jan 31 09:49:64 CET 2014
Bulid Number cm_i927-userdebug 4.4.2 KOT49H fd870bd0a6 test-keys

Android Ver 4.4.2
Baseband I927UCLJ3
Kernel version 3.1.10-g1fddd9f bubor@loki-dual # 1 Fri Jan 31 10:08 CET 2014
CPU ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v71)
Memory 772 MB
SELinux status Permissive

BLN Settings

Schedule Off 12am On 7am
Call notification on
Activate Blinking On
Blinking duration (total) 30 min
On Interval 1 sec
Off Interval 1 sec
LED Status after Blinkiing On
Static LED Timeout after blinking 1 hr
Min Battery Level 30%

Last edited:
Reactions: organic2

ZM3U5

Apr 5, 2013
Munich
I'm using a GT-I9195 with cm-11-20140205-NIGHTLY, 0140105 gapps and 1.3.0 f4ktion kernel and experienced problems with BLN during the last time. Now I tried to find out the reason and as it seems it is somehow related to the runtime used. With Dalvik everything is working as usual. After activating ART the functionality is gone. Activating and deactivating BLN or rebooting with different BLN settings doesn't make a difference. The only thing that solves the issue is switching back to Dalvik. On my device this is reproducible. Can anyone confirm this on a different device?

+1
I'm also using the S4 mini GT-I9195.
At the beginning, when arco68 implemented the BLN possibility in the kernel, everything worked fine. 'til the moment i installed a update to cm-11-20140205-NIGHTLY.
Now nothing is working. Reinstall doesn't help, also cleaning cache.

In advance,
zmeus

EDIT:
Problem solved.. there was a problem with a xposed app in the backround

Last edited:

mnd123

Feb 25, 2014
I have a problem with BLN control pro on Samsung GT-I8190, CM11 by maclaw. When the phone is plugged in, everything is working fine.
But the static light is not working correctly on battery. When the screen turns off, the buttons light up for a few seconds, but then they turn off. It seems like something kills the process.
I have found a workaround by turning on the blinking option. But even in this mode, if i set the ON interval length for longer than ~4 seconds, the light turns off.
I would like to use the static light option, because of longer battery time.

Does anybody have any ideas how to solve this problem?

e05b

Jan 22, 2014
I have a problem with BLN control pro on Samsung GT-I8190, CM11 by maclaw. When the phone is plugged in, everything is working fine.
But the static light is not working correctly on battery. When the screen turns off, the buttons light up for a few seconds, but then they turn off. It seems like something kills the process.
I have found a workaround by turning on the blinking option. But even in this mode, if i set the ON interval length for longer than ~4 seconds, the light turns off.
I would like to use the static light option, because of longer battery time.

Does anybody have any ideas how to solve this problem?

Hey mnd123,

I have no solution for the problem but I tried it on my GT-I8190 with CM10.2 and on battery the keys turn off after 5 seconds and with power supply they are always on. So I have the same problem!

Why does the blinking need more battery?

mnd123

Feb 25, 2014
Hey mnd123,

I have no solution for the problem but I tried it on my GT-I8190 with CM10.2 and on battery the keys turn off after 5 seconds and with power supply they are always on. So I have the same problem!

Why does the blinking need more battery?

Hey,

this issue may be related to CM settings of keys backlight, which is 5 seconds by default.

I have found that blinking needs more battery in a forum (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1480417), haven't tested it myself.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This app does only work, if you have a kernel with BacklightNotification (bln) mod on your phone installed.

Go and get BLN for Samsung i9000 Eclair, Froyo or Gingerbread or any other kernel/rom with BacklightNotification support.
    Or visit this page to view a list with supported phones by BLN.

What is the BLN mod?
    The BLN mod turns the touchkey backlights into a notification led.
    It enables the notification led api for any android application that supports notifications by led.
    If you dont have the BLN mod installed, the app provides you instructions how to install the BLN mod.

What does this app?
    This application gives you control over the BacklightNotification (bln) mod settings on your phone.

What features does the Free version have?
    • enable/disable BacklightNotification function (without uninstalling bln)
    • test BacklightNotification
    • update notification (notifies you about new BLN app, liblights or kernel releases)

Additional features in the Pro version:
    • widget
    • scheduler (disable BLN at night, ...)
    • locale plug-in(s) for: bln status, blinking, scheduler, static led, notification led
    • adjustable timeout of static led notification
    • blinking**:
      • adjustable on/off led period
      • adjustable overall blinking duration (5-60 minutes or unlimited)
      • select led status after blinking ends(on/off)
      • stop blinking if battery is below a selectable % level
    • adds led notifications for:
      • missed calls

** Please notice that blinking consumes more energy than static backlight!

Download the app from market:
    Free | Pro
    attachment.php

The price for the Pro version is 0.99€ (~ 1.99 US$).
    The Pro version is available at the android market (creditcard) and at androidpit (paypal, clickandbuy).

If you find an issue, please report it here in the thread.

Which features will be added to future Pro versions?
    • suggest me a feature

What permissions are used for which features?
    • RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED: to activate BLN at boot and start the services
    • INTERNET: for update notification (new BLN app, liblights or kernel releases - you can disable the notification in the update settings) and for the compatibility check (the app receive instructions for you, if the app detects that something is wrong with the BLN setup)
    • READ_PHONE_STATE: to detect if an incoming call could become a missed call
    • WAKE_LOCK: services & schedule (reactivating interrupted led notifications, froyo only)

Translations already done:
    • Dutch
    • French
    • German
    • Japanese
    • Korean
    • Russian
    • Spanish
    • Swedish

The initial translations into Dutch, French, Russian and Spanish have been realized at crowdin.net with the help of adequacy, andifds, elroy911, HERVEG, HTCDevil, Jaax, jbnitro, ravexx, Rebel2k and Shaymelmed. Thank you.
    The translations into Japanese, Korean and Swedish have been realized at icanlocalize.com.

Translations pending:
    • Chinese (Simplified) - suspended, no sufficient Chinese market service
    • Chinese (Traditional) - see above
    • Czech
    • Italian
    • Polish

Kernel-devs / rom cookers: Please do only integrate the FREE version of this app into your releases.
    BLN pro will work for JVP version (gingerbread 2.3.4 ) ? :confused:

For all having trouble with JVP, i compiled a patched services.jar. It contains both liblights and services.jar, to have BLN working with any kernel supporting it on JVP. To be installed from CWM recovery.

Tried on Juwe's 5.0 working with stock sms, calls, mail, etc.

Hope it helps!

Thanks to neldar for his great job.
    Thanks to Virnik for his update package & script.
    FAQ:

How do i enable led notification for ...?
    • touchwiz sms: notification is only possible if you use another sms app (e.g. Go SMS) or if you use a patched sms app or a patched services.jar
    • touchwiz email: notification by default
    • gmail: notification by default
    • Google talk: notification by default
    • calendar: download "Calendar notifier" app from market (alternative)
    • call: BLN control - Pro from market
    • any other apps:
      ask the author of the app for notification led support

The led notification is enabled in app xyz, but it still dont work, why?
    This only a problem of Android >= 2.3. Led notifications in Android >= 2.3 do only work if the screen is powered off. You can not trigger a led notification while the screen is powered on and any led notification is automatically dismissed if the screen becomes powered on. This is a general "problem" of all gingerbread phones. This behavior is a design decision of the asop team and they think this is not important enough to be mentioned in the Android SDK documentation. The BLN control app has a workaround implemented for the internal call, locale/tasker plug-in & test notification. Any other apps may have also a option to disable the screen before these apps try to trigger led notifications (e.g. Go SMS).

How much does this modification affect battery life?
    With backlight notification permanently powered on, the battery lasts around 82 hours (around 3,5 days, 1,22% per hour). This means, that activated backlights will increase battery usage by about 0,18% per hour. If there is no backlight notification ongoing, battery life is normal (around 96 hours, 1,04% per hour). Measurements were made on a i9000 (eclair) with enabled flight mode.

The sgs2 does currently (6th august 2011) rely on a kernel wakelock, that does affect the battery more than on other phones.
    This is an exception from the general bln behavior and may hopefully change in future.

How do you test the battery consumption? This is a common and reliable method.

Could you add a fade feature?
    That is only possible on some phones, most hardware is limited (by controller firmware) to simple on/off. Maybe I add these capability in the future.

The blinking or the missed call notification of the pro app are not reliably working, what is wrong?
    The lowmemorykiller of your phone is configured with too aggressive settings, thereby the app services are killed and not restarted.
    Either you use less aggressive settings or you have to live with the fact that your settings make things unreliable.
    Btw, it is better to have less free ram in android. A lot of free ram on a android device indicates that it is inefficiently working.
    Just wonderign, is there going to be support for normal notifcations, like third party apps etc

No, if you are wondering about the reason, then you might want to understand the functional principle of bln by looking at the following "art":

|android application| --> |notification service| --> |bln liblights| --> |bln driver| --> |touchkey leds|

legend:
    --> : x calls y (unidirectional)
    android application: any android application
    notification service: public api, part of the Android SDK
    liblights: conjunction between the android OS and the Linux kernel
    bln driver: provides interface to control the touchkey led hardware
    touchkey leds: light emitting diodes behind the touchkeys...

The bln mod (blue parts) just adds the (modified) liblights and the bln driver in that chain, these components are missing in the original stock ROM from Samsung.
    Any android application that should trigger the leds just have to implement the call (the red arrow) of the functions of the notification service .

And the gentle reader may now notice that the control app is missing in that flowchart. Well, the control app consists of 2 parts, one part actually accesses the bln driver to adjust some settings. The second part detects missed calls and acts like any other android application to issue a (hidden) notification with the led flag.

PS: The flowchart includes only the necessary components and conjunctions between the application and the leds. There are a few more components involved, but you don't need to know them all.
    On the AT&T GS2, I am getting constant wakelocks for wlProximityEvents, and I do not even have the new Proximity feature enabled.

I just unplugged the charger 5 minutes ago, I have no notifications, and it's been in constant wakelock since then. (See the screen shot).

Since the last update, my battery life has been very bad and deep sleep has gone down significantly.

UPDATE: Attached is my wakelocks.txt file.

Thank you for the informations about the wakelock, these infos helped me to resolve the problem.
    An update is now available at the market. I want to apologize to those who may have had problems because of this issue.