FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[TOOLS][ZIPS][SCRIPTS] osm0sis' Odds and Ends [Multiple Devices/Platforms]

13,796 posts
Thanks Meter: 30,577

By osm0sis, Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor on 18th April 2013, 01:37 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
5th March 2014, 04:12 AM |#211  
OP Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag Halifax

Donate to Me
More
New project released, linked in the OP:

AnyKernel 2.0 -- Flashable Zip Template for Kernel Releases with Ramdisk Modifications

AnyKernel was a simple template for an update.zip that could apply any kernel to any ROM, regardless of ramdisk. AnyKernel 2.0 pushes the format even further by allowing kernel developers to modify the underlying ramdisk for kernel feature support easily using a number of included command methods along with properties and variables to customize the install experience.

Tell your favorite kernel devs.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to osm0sis For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th March 2014, 04:37 AM |#212  
Flag Charlotte, Nc
Thanks Meter: 1,083

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by osm0sis

New project released, linked in the OP:

AnyKernel 2.0 -- Flashable Zip Template for Kernel Releases with Ramdisk Modifications

AnyKernel was a simple template for an update.zip that could apply any kernel to any ROM, regardless of ramdisk. AnyKernel 2.0 pushes the format even further by allowing kernel developers to modify the underlying ramdisk for kernel feature support easily using a number of included command methods along with properties and variables to customize the install experience.

Tell your favorite kernel devs.

so now devs can use kernels from other devices with their roms?
5th March 2014, 04:51 AM |#213  
Flag Halifax

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspboy

so now devs can use kernels from other devices with their roms?

No. That's crazy talk.

The concept of AnyKernel has been around for awhile, (originally by Koushik Dutta/ClockworkMod,) which allows device-specific kernels to be flashed over device-specific ROMs and use the ramdisk that came with the ROM to reduce the chance of any issues arising from the custom kernel pairing.

The drawback to this is that some kernels require modifications to the ramdisk to enable/set up kernel features, but in the old AnyKernel format there was no way to do this. Until now.

AnyKernel 2.0 makes it easy for kernel devs to use a number of simple command methods to automate the process of adding tweaks into a ROM's underlying ramdisk during the flashing process.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to osm0sis For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th March 2014, 04:56 AM |#214  
Flag Charlotte, Nc
Thanks Meter: 1,083

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by osm0sis

No. That's crazy talk.

This takes the concept of AnyKernel, which has been around for awhile, (originally by Koushik Dutta/ClockworkMod,) which allows device-specific kernels to be flashed over device-specific ROMs and use the ramdisk that came with the ROM to reduce the chance of any issues arising from the custom kernel pairing.

The drawback to this is that some kernels require modifications to the ramdisk to enable/set up kernel features, but in the old AnyKernel format there was no way to do this. Until now.

AnyKernel 2.0 makes it easy for devs to use a number of simple commands to automate the process of adding tweaks into a ROM's underlying ramdisk during the flashing process.

thats awesome! Maybe i'll use this in my next rom Thanks for actually "dumbing" it down for me - not lots of genius peoples do that
5th March 2014, 04:58 AM |#215  
Flag Halifax

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspboy

thats awesome! Maybe i'll use this in my next rom Thanks for actually "dumbing" it down for me - not lots of genius peoples do that

Hey, no problem man! It's for kernels though, just to be clear.
The Following User Says Thank You to osm0sis For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th March 2014, 10:23 PM |#216  
Thanks Meter: 88

More
Franco kernel vs DirtyV/SmittyV
@osmosis

I have a GNex (maguro), running CM11 nightlies. While I see from your signature that you personally use "cwm-franco.Kernel-tuna-nightly-r396-AnyKernel", I am aware that you also provide help on RamDisk configuration to other kernel developers, such as DirtyV.

Is there a source that compares the current Franco kernel to the DirtyV/SmittyV? Stated another way, why would someone prefer one over the other?

Many thanks.
11th March 2014, 02:51 AM |#217  
Flag Halifax

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droiderat

@osmosis

I have a GNex (maguro), running CM11 nightlies. While I see from your signature that you personally use "cwm-franco.Kernel-tuna-nightly-r396-AnyKernel", I am aware that you also provide help on RamDisk configuration to other kernel developers, such as DirtyV.

Is there a source that compares the current Franco kernel to the DirtyV/SmittyV? Stated another way, why would someone prefer one over the other?

Many thanks.

I also just fixed up Fancy Kernel's ramdisk at boype's request. I don't play favorites.

Truth be told this very minute I'm running my DirtyV-RSR-Synapsed versions (currently 3.8.14 at http://v.ht/osmod) since I'm very involved over there right now with making Synapse support as cool and complete as it can be. Constantly tweaking on my PC, rebuilding the ramdisk and reflashing. However, the franco.Kernel-r395 zip sits on my sdcard as the first thing I flash after a ROM.

In a nutshell: franco.Kernel has ASRAM and is rock ****ing solid, though clearly not in the most active state of development, meaning there may be some advancements it doesn't have (yet). DirtyV has SuperRAM (or ASRAM or no extra memory at all, if you prefer, depending on the build) and is in constant development, which means the latest ideas/features/testing/improvements but also comes with its ups and downs in terms of stability/bugs.

Really, they're both amazing, man. Try them both, and Fancy and Grakernel and ASKP while you're at.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to osm0sis For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th March 2014, 12:09 PM |#218  
Flag Halifax

Donate to Me
More
Set Up A Build Environment On Android
Stumbled upon this yesterday and decided I'd give it a shot on my Nexus 7 '13 to see if I could use some of this horsepower to do some native compiles:
http://kevinboone.net/kbox2.html

@bsmitty83 @ak @Grarak @aosp @trevd

Here's as far as I got last night and my notes to go with it:
http://kevinboone.net/kbox2_downloads.html
(install bc, dropbear, coreutils, ftp, gawk, gcc 4.7, gcc 4.8, kbox-login, make, nano, Perl, rsync, strace, utelnetd & zsh packages; add kbox script to /system/xbin with the kbox shell command to easily enter the shell from the command line)
http://kevinboone.net/kbox2_diary.html
(copy newer libchfakeroot.so to kbox's /lib; copy newer dropbear to kbox's /bin)

(In kbox's /bin: symlink /bin/awk to /bin/gawk; copy /bin/gcc to /bin/ar and edit the command inside to also be ar since busybox's is feature-poor)
http://danilogiulianelli.blogspot.ca...iconv-for.html
(copy include/iconv.h and libcharset/include/libcharset.h to /usr/include)

http://gpp256.sytes.net:18080/wiki/?Android%2Flibintl
(same edits as iconv to gettext-tools/gnulib-lib/localcharset.c; copy gettext-runtime/intl/libintl.h to /usr/include)

https://github.com/android/platform_external_openssl
(copy include/openssl/ to /usr/include)

This ends up giving you a decent build environment for compiling simple Linux utility binaries natively on Android. Still lots of compatibility to be worked out in anything more complex, however. The last 3 things were dependencies I was trying to handle to build the git package from source (got way too difficult so I had to stop for fear of aneurysm..), but a lot of utilities use those headers so it will probably be good to have them.

I compiled Android versions of my updated mkbootimg+unpackbootimg so far: https://github.com/osm0sis/mkbootimg

If anyone has any ideas how to get this build environment completely equipped, let me know.

This is also of some interest though I wasn't able to get Terminal IDE's git port working correctly in kbox, (but kbox provides a better Linux-like build environment):
http://federico-lox.github.io/develo...ove-story.html

Edit: @bsmitty83 Grabbed working git binaries from ZShaolin (mentioned in that article), and put them in kbox's /bin/ - along with the ssh-git script they also mention. Then the git-core templates from Terminal IDE go in /share/. git config works on the ZShaolin binary so set up username / email and template dir.

Ex:
Code:
git config --global init.templatedir /share/git-core/templates/
git config --global user.name osm0sis
git config --global user.email [email protected]
you might also want:
Code:
git config --global core.editor nano
git config --global push.default simple
The only thing you can't set in that is the custom SSH command to go with the SSH generated from the instructions in the article, so edit /etc/profile adding the following somewhere:

Code:
# GIT SSH Setup
export GIT_SSH='/bin/ssh-git'
Then you have a working git, the only catch is the Android ones don't have working https support, hence all the SSH shenanigans. So to clone a github repo you have to own it and add your public SSH key. Then the command is, eg.:

git clone [email protected]:osm0sis/mkbootimg

Edit 2: I've uploaded a .tgz of the required git files if anyone wants - to save you from having to manually do that part of the above. From the kbox shell prompt unpack it in the / root with "tar xzvf" then all you'll need to do is generate your own SSH key in ~/.ssh/

Edit 3: ncurses here; http://credentiality2.blogspot.ca/20...r-android.html - curses.h, ncurses_dll.h, unctrl.h to kbox's /usr/include/

Edit 4: Good news, KBox 3 is now out and has its own git builds available with it, so all of this is obsolete and a lot easier now!

[ Attachment removed since KBox3 has git included ]
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to osm0sis For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th March 2014, 05:03 AM |#219  
Flag Halifax

Donate to Me
More
I just finished up ARM versions of my ramdisk editing tools!

Android Image Kitchen - Mobile Edition (AIK-mobile):
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6#post51322566

All compiled in the kbox2 build environment I set up on my Nexus 7 2013.

My next tricks will be to do a straight Linux version (often requested) and update AnyKernel 2.0 with my own compiles and maybe multiple compression support.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to osm0sis For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Modding.MyMind
24th March 2014, 02:24 PM |#220  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thanks for letting me know about kbox. Never heard of it until now. Normally been using SGit and/or AIDE for git support. Also used CCTools for gcc support in regards to compilations of open sources. I'm curious to see how much more kbox will benefit in comparison to CCTools. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my C525c using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ad-Free
26th March 2014, 03:09 AM |#221  
Flag Halifax

Donate to Me
More
AnyKernel 2.0 updated with my own updated image tool native compiles.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to osm0sis For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
automation, batch, flashable zip, script, tool

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)