If your on Tmobile USA - Buy the Japanese SO-01D Model

Search This thread
In case I am mistaken, currently I own an unlocked ATT model on Tmobile. Recently my area was refarmed to take advantage of the HSPA+ so I get full high speed data on my phone with Tmobile. I was looking at the Japanese Xperia PLAY SO-01D model and it supports all frequencies that US Tmobile uses. So perhaps if you want full support you should look into buying the Japanese Model:

See here for Japanese model Specs, notate the Frequencies:

http://www.umnet.com/phone/6637-Sony_Ericsson_SO01D_Xperia_PLAY

Japanese Model Specs:

Sony Ericsson SO-01D Xperia PLAY Specifications

Networks GSM | UMTS
850 | 900 | 1700 | 1800 | 1900 / 2100
Wireless Data GPRS | EDGE | FOMA

Tmobile USA:

UMTS HSPA+ 850 (Band V), 900 (Band VIII), 1700 (Band IV),
1900 (Band II), 2100 (Band I) MHz
GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz

Just thought I would share my findings.

Edit: Nothing on Ebay in the US however there is a Amazon.com link to buy them.

http://www.amazon.com/SO-01D-ANDROI...1376432842&sr=8-2&keywords=xperia+play+so-01D

Last edited:

scottmog

Jun 6, 2007
Very interested, hopefully someone with it on tmobile USA will reply. This interests me very much

Sent from galaxy note 2, tablet in my pocket! ^_^

Very interested, hopefully someone with it on tmobile USA will reply. This interests me very much

Sent from galaxy note 2, tablet in my pocket! ^_^

I have been watching for a Japanese model for sometime. I figure I have a prototype model and thought it nthrope be cool to have the JPN model as well. It seems to me tis model could be used worldwide. It has more frequencies then other model.

Either way I found it interesting

Sent from my R800i using xda premium

pedyvirus

Nov 9, 2012
shiraz
Japanese xperia play is originally the developer edition of xperia play which has a hidden hdmi port that you can use it by removing the cover of it

CZroe

Nov 13, 2011
Newnan, GA
Japanese xperia play is originally the developer edition of xperia play which has a hidden hdmi port that you can use it by removing the cover of it

Please stop. Developer/Prototype is not what the OP meant by "Japanese version." You act like it was never available normally from a Japanese carrier when it was. See the NTT DoCoMo package linked in this thread? Yeah. Also, this was developed by Ericsson, which was not owned by Sony back then and not in Japan.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

pedyvirus

Nov 9, 2012
shiraz
sorry i miss understood this
my english is not much good :pthe japanese version doesn't have hdmi output that was z1 model

TheVicious

May 31, 2010
HDMI had only the model for a fairs. There weren't on sale. Only to use by SE (for example when the showed Minecraft PE).

Wysłane z mojego SM-C101 przy użyciu Tapatalka

TigerC10

Apr 8, 2011
Austin, TX
In case I am mistaken, currently I own an unlocked ATT model on Tmobile. Recently my area was refarmed to take advantage of the HSPA+ so I get full high speed data on my phone with Tmobile.

I bought an R800at ("Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY 4G") and have been using it on T-Mobile - I do have HSPA+.

Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY 4G (R800at)
850/900/1800/1900
GSM | GPRS | EDGE | UMTS | HSPA (HSUPA/HSDPA) | 4G HSPA+

According to the Sony specs, there is no difference between the R800a and R800at radio hardware. So really, the only difference may be the kernel's radio that was stock flashed on the device.

I haven't found any solid specs on the SO-01D frequencies - some sites list 1700, some list 2100, some list both. But the old T-Mobile frequencies required both 1700 and 2100 to get 3G. Since T-Mobile started refarming the 1900, it can work with the 1800 to achieve the same results - so as long as you're in a refarmed area you wouldn't really get anything more out of SO-01D than R800a/R800at.

EDIT:
But I'm willing to go get a model SO-01D and do a speed test comparison.

Last edited: