Data and WiFi problems on KitKat roms

Search This thread

JAWheat411

May 15, 2008
Moore
I have been on several KitKat ROMs and have the same problems with all of them. I am not able to connect to any WiFi network. I can see them but when try to connect it just goes to saved ...or out of range. Also I have to constantly turn airplane mode on and off because I lose data. I have signal but can't connect. I did see this mentioned somewhere but can't remember where. I have started from scratch and it does seem to affect only KitKat ROMs. Does anyone else have a this problem. Currently on paranoid but I was on beanstalk before.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

JAWheat411

May 15, 2008
Moore
No...but aren't the others based on CM? I know someone said KitKat doesn't play nice with some routers. But shouldn't it connect to something? I can't think of the Evo 4g LTE ROM thread where the op mentioned toggling airplane mode. But I think something about the RIL was mentioned.

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
No...but aren't the others based on CM? I know someone said KitKat doesn't play nice with some routers. But shouldn't it connect to something? I can't think of the Evo 4g LTE ROM thread where the op mentioned toggling airplane mode. But I think something about the RIL was mentioned.

All except Omni. But sometimes the CM ROMs posted on the forum have some fixes that might not have made it to the other builds.

I assume you're on the new partition layout?

JAWheat411

May 15, 2008
Moore
Yes I am. I will try to install cm or omni. I know these problems were mentioned by other users here with no clear answer. Last post on the carbon thread the user asked if the update fixed the data issues. I might have to go back to sense. When I get data back, my pebble blows up to catch all the missed notifications.

JAWheat411

May 15, 2008
Moore
The RIL problem was mentioned in the Omni ROM thread, in the op.

shauggy

Nov 16, 2013
FWIW the only KitKat Rom that gave me reliable data was the latest Dirty Unicorn release. I started having some issues with random freezes/reboots so I switched to the Capt's newest 4.3 update, but DU was the only 4.4 Rom that worked for me data-wise. Don't know if you tried it already or not, but wanted to mention it just in case.

JAWheat411

May 15, 2008
Moore
It seems omni works great data wise. But no KK ROM has reliable WiFi for me. Thanks for the reply. I may try dirty unicorn.

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
It seems omni works great data wise. But no KK ROM has reliable WiFi for me. Thanks for the reply. I may try dirty unicorn.

Did you try CM?

(specifically the latest one on the new layout, as there were updates to the WiFi code)

P.S. That's why I suggested it in the first place.

G

GuestK0087

Did you try CM?

(specifically the latest one on the new layout, as there were updates to the WiFi code)

P.S. That's why I suggested it in the first place.

I used to have the WiFi connection problems too, earlier on in KitKat development. Since updating to the new partition, I have not encountered it on any ROMs I've flashed.

EVOlved human

JAWheat411

May 15, 2008
Moore
No I haven't tried cm yet. I will soon. I am out of town and having to download ROMs over 3G. I installed the roms that actually finished downloading. I will try CM tonight when I get home.

Jason021680

Mar 3, 2012
My girl's phone is doing the same " not in range" thing to. She's stock rooted 4.3. But it's been happening since 4.1. We thought the update would fix it, but nope. So that makes me wonder if it's some kind hardware malfunction.

Sent from my EVO using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Magnum_Enforcer

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 14, 2012
Birmingham, AL
My girl's phone is doing the same " not in range" thing to. She's stock rooted 4.3. But it's been happening since 4.1. We thought the update would fix it, but nope. So that makes me wonder if it's some kind hardware malfunction.

Very well could be a hardware issue, especially since the problem has persisted throughout the latest update.

Sent from my EVO LTE

Jason021680

Mar 3, 2012
Very well could be a hardware issue, especially since the problem has persisted throughout the latest update.

Sent from my EVO LTE

The part I really don't understand is, if it's a problem with her WiFi antenna...why are surrounding networks showing up when she turns her WiFi on? They show up and when she connects, they come up as "not in range". I actually think this same problem is affecting her ability to tether.

xxx333

Sep 10, 2007
LTE Connectivity?

Has anyone been able to have LTE connectivity with a kitkat rom? If yes, which one? I've tried DU 4.4, the screen it showed "LTE", but there was no connectivity with the data.

Has anyone determined where the APNS file is located on the stock sense ROM? One idea suggested is to try to copy the stock APNS file, and copy to the KitKat rom, I've tried to use some APN backup programs, but they do not seem to function properly in the Sense environment.

BaumerS4

Oct 18, 2012
Has anyone been able to have LTE connectivity with a kitkat rom? If yes, which one? I've tried DU 4.4, the screen it showed "LTE", but there was no connectivity with the data.

Has anyone determined where the APNS file is located on the stock sense ROM? One idea suggested is to try to copy the stock APNS file, and copy to the KitKat rom, I've tried to use some APN backup programs, but they do not seem to function properly in the Sense environment.

I've been running the latest PAC Rom builds (old partitions still, haven't taken the time to update to the new) for about a week or so and haven't had any LTE issues. It still has the roaming bug (says roaming but it's not), but connecting to LTE and pulling down 15+ Mbps here in Chicagoland.

Not all of the nightlies would boot for me, but I've had success with the 3/5 and the 3/10. Worth checking out, not too different than DU when you download the Google Now Launcher, just missing Halo.

Reactions: xxx333

mvmacd

Nov 2, 2010
Massachusetts
just wanted to say, I've been running a CM11 nightly for about a month now [2/11/14 I believe], and I've had wifi issues, probably about 3 times. The issue was it wouldn't connect to wifi at all, it would either show no networks in range or not connect when I tell it to.

A simple reboot fixed the issue for me though, that's why I haven't bothered to update my ROM yet [I will, if there is a milestone or stable release, otherwise I might stick with this nightly for some months--just because I hate to restore all my apps and settings, quite bothersome and I don't have the time anymore to mess with that kind of stuff as I used to]. edit: wait I ust remembered that someone told me you can dirty flash nightlies. can anybody tell me if dirty flashing a recent nightly over a month+ old rom is alright? or will it cause issues? from what I remember, if the build number is the same [e.x. 4.4.2] then it will probably be fine [unless stated you cannot dirty flash in the changelog, but I don't have time to read all 30+ changelogs]

gl trying to figure the issue out though!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I've been running the latest PAC Rom builds (old partitions still, haven't taken the time to update to the new) for about a week or so and haven't had any LTE issues. It still has the roaming bug (says roaming but it's not), but connecting to LTE and pulling down 15+ Mbps here in Chicagoland.

Not all of the nightlies would boot for me, but I've had success with the 3/5 and the 3/10. Worth checking out, not too different than DU when you download the Google Now Launcher, just missing Halo.