wireless miracast screen mirroring with Netgear PTV 3000

Search This thread

mista.maja

Nov 10, 2007
to clarify: has anyone managed to get one of the recent nexus devices to work in 1080p using a PTV3000?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

unwilling

Sep 11, 2011
to clarify: has anyone managed to get one of the recent nexus devices to work in 1080p using a PTV3000?

I have a Nexus 5 and i am in the same boat. 720p only. It connects to the tv and displays 1080p on the "waiting to connect" screen but as soon as it gets my device it cuts it down to 720p and it is very noticeable. This is the second ptv3000 i've had as the first one broke from use in less than a day. Does anyone know if the digital audio it claims to have works as well? I've never gotten dolby digital from this device. It only gives me stereo.

Reactions: Crazy Old Man

mista.maja

Nov 10, 2007
yeah multichannel audio doesn't seem to be working for me either. but that maybe an android problem. my guess is support for passthrough audio via miracast has yet to be implemented in android apps like MX Player.
I'm in contact with Netgear and they keep sending me beta F/W's but so far no improvements regarding the resolution issues.

TiMpLa

Jan 18, 2014
Does anyone have experiences how it works whit Lg G Pad 8.3 (V500)?

(Sorry, but now I see I have written not a good thread!)

Last edited:

daodom1029

Feb 11, 2012
[Q] Miracast/Netgear PTV 3000/XBMC

Does anyone know yet if your able to cast XBMC from the Galaxy S4 using Miracast an a Netgear PTV 3000? Would love to know yes or no before buying anything.

Thanks

Crazy Old Man

Jan 25, 2014
I have a Nexus 5 and i am in the same boat. 720p only. It connects to the tv and displays 1080p on the "waiting to connect" screen but as soon as it gets my device it cuts it down to 720p and it is very noticeable. This is the second ptv3000 i've had as the first one broke from use in less than a day. Does anyone know if the digital audio it claims to have works as well? I've never gotten dolby digital from this device. It only gives me stereo.

I finally found reference to exactly what I have been experiencing. I am using a Nexus 7 2013 version 4.4.2 and a PTV3000. The PTV3000 works well except I can't get 1080p. I have contacted tech support for the PTV3000 and Google support trying to pin down which unit is causing the problem. Support from either one is painstakingly slow. Google instantly blamed the Netgear but Netgear suggested I reset the unit going through a procedure they sent me. It didn't work and now I am waiting to hear back from them. At least they didn't blame the Nexus 7.

I have ordered a slimport to HDMI connector so I can plug directly into the TV just to make sure I can see 1080p.

I'm hoping somebody has a solution to this problem or at least can shed some light on it.

Thanks so much!

mista.maja

Nov 10, 2007
I finally found reference to exactly what I have been experiencing. I am using a Nexus 7 2013 version 4.4.2 and a PTV3000. The PTV3000 works well except I can't get 1080p. I have contacted tech support for the PTV3000 and Google support trying to pin down which unit is causing the problem. Support from either one is painstakingly slow. Google instantly blamed the Netgear but Netgear suggested I reset the unit going through a procedure they sent me. It didn't work and now I am waiting to hear back from them. At least they didn't blame the Nexus 7.

I have ordered a slimport to HDMI connector so I can plug directly into the TV just to make sure I can see 1080p.

I'm hoping somebody has a solution to this problem or at least can shed some light on it.

Thanks so much!

I believe there is a reason that the Nexus4 is the only Nexus device on Netgears supported devices list, and that reason is that it's native resolution coincidentally is 720p which is, as it seems, the most the PTV3000 can get out of any Nexus. And even that 720p connection is a flakey one.
As I said before Netgear sent me a few beta firmwares which brought no improvements resolution-wise and when I started to specifically ask how to get the resolution up to 1080p, the replies stopped.
I don't have any Galaxy devices except the Nexus10 which is Samsung-made but does not have their AllShare Cast software components so I can't confirm the claims made about the S4 being able to stream 1080p in a stable fashion but no Nexus device I've tried has been able to output more than 720p at any point (Nexus 4, 5 & 10) and I've lost confidence in Netgear to remedy this.
btw, even just listening to Spotify while streaming to PTV3000 is not a smooth experience... it's sad, really.

Reactions: Crazy Old Man

Crazy Old Man

Jan 25, 2014
I believe there is a reason that the Nexus4 is the only Nexus device on Netgears supported devices list, and that reason is that it's native resolution coincidentally is 720p which is, as it seems, the most the PTV3000 can get out of any Nexus. And even that 720p connection is a flakey one.
As I said before Netgear sent me a few beta firmwares which brought no improvements resolution-wise and when I started to specifically ask how to get the resolution up to 1080p, the replies stopped.
I don't have any Galaxy devices except the Nexus10 which is Samsung-made but does not have their AllShare Cast software components so I can't confirm the claims made about the S4 being able to stream 1080p in a stable fashion but no Nexus device I've tried has been able to output more than 720p at any point (Nexus 4, 5 & 10) and I've lost confidence in Netgear to remedy this.
btw, even just listening to Spotify while streaming to PTV3000 is not a smooth experience... it's sad, really.

That's what I was afraid of. However, even at 720p the picture is good enough for me. I don't require perfection but I do want it to do all it can do. I have watched several movies with no problems except for my slow DSL connection and late at night that's not a problem. I have a slimport to HDMI coming so maybe that will allow me to download a Blue Ray movie and watch it.

I'll keep the pressure on Netgear and maybe we'll see a firmware upgrade soon.

Thanks!

Crazy Old Man

Jan 25, 2014

I finally got down to the bottom of it. Netgear admitted that the Nexus 7 2013 is not a supported tablet at this time. I don't know why they couldn't have told that right off the bat. It works very well at 720p and if I need the full 1080p I will simply hook up my Slimport adaptor which works quite well.

jup68

Oct 25, 2010
I finally got down to the bottom of it. Netgear admitted that the Nexus 7 2013 is not a supported tablet at this time. I don't know why they couldn't have told that right off the bat. It works very well at 720p and if I need the full 1080p I will simply hook up my Slimport adaptor which works quite well.

PTV3000 Firmware Version 2.4.38
Enhancements & Bug Fixes:

Fixed Fast cursor issue in Win8.1.
Fixed WiDi E2E re-connection time too long.
Fixed not responding to P2P probe request containing both ¡§DS Parameter IE¡¨ and ¡§WFD IE¡¨.
Fixed 5.1 surround in Win8.1.
Fixed Nexus 7/10 choppy audio playback.
Add Screen Saver.
Fixed no auto reboot after FW update.
Fixed DNS hijack.
Fixed ASUS MeMO Pad FHD 10 disconnect "WiFi Connection Closed" message shown on screen.
Enable FW version display on Ready to connect screen.

Crazy Old Man

Jan 25, 2014

Fixed not responding to P2P probe request containing both ¡§DS Parameter IE¡¨ and ¡§WFD IE¡¨.
Add Screen Saver.
Fixed DNS hijack.
Fixed ASUS MeMO Pad FHD 10 disconnect "WiFi Connection Closed" message shown on screen.

I applied this fix and to my surprise the TV is showing the video cast from my Nexus 7 is 1080p! Yea!

Reactions: day7e

toanau

Jul 30, 2011
Just ordered mine today any recommendation

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Berniethebolt

Sep 11, 2014
Sound issue on PTV3000 and Galaxy S4

Firstly Hi, this is my first post and am completely new to the world of mirroring.

I've recently purchased a Netgear PTV3000 to stream media from my SMB harddrive (via wifi) in XBMC and then mirror it back to my TV through the PTV3000.

I've updated the PTV3000 to the latest firmware and the unit syncs and plays with the image smoothly with no freezing. However I am experiencing a delay between the picture and the sound of around 1/2 second which is irritating and basically making it unwatchable unless it sports for example.

Anybody got any advice on how best to eliminate this issue. I am tweaking the audio delay to picture in XBMC (around 0.33secs) which does help but its fiddly and not perfect. This however will not resolve the issues of streaming directly from the Net, for example my Netflix account.

Am I going about this the right way to counteract this, or is there a better method.

To confirm, I am streaming media from my SMB drive (Iomega screenplay pro HD) through my router to my Samsung galaxy S4. This then mirrors back to the PTV3000, and I am receiving a delay in sound vs image on media through XBMC and direct (bbc iplayer as an example)

Thanks for any advice.

Bernie

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Add Screen Saver.
    Fixed DNS hijack.
    Wireless miracast screen mirroring with netgear PTV3000 works fine with occasional stuttering with full HD videos.
    See my upload https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxZKpg3o-dk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Gaming there is a lag sometimes with stuttering but works fine usually for videos and photos and Google music and presentations etc. Great accessory. Just hope they enable this feature for screen mirroring for my nexus 7 too soon
    I have the PTV3000 and so far I have connected my S4, Xperia ZL, Note II, S3, and my Centrino laptop.

For connecting the Note II and S3, you have to use the Samsung AllShare Cast app. It usually takes 2-3 tries to get it to connect the first time, but when it does connect to the adapter the first time subsequent connections seem to happen right away. Also, the Note II and S3 seemed to lose all wifi when connected...any data pulled from the internet seemed to need mobile data (ie. streaming Youtube means using the mobile data to get the Youtube video, and wifi is used to stream to the tv). On the S4, this limitation does not exist as both wifi and miracast works fine. I guess the S4 has an additional antenna or there is something in the ac standard that allows simultaneous transmission and download.

The range is excellent...streaming works a good 50-60 feet away. There is lag no matter how close, so I would say its not ideal for gaming, but for just sharing our screen its great.

The S4 gets really, really hot as well...say goodbye to battery life with this of course.

If you get the PTV, make sure you update the firmware as a lot of bugs were present in the previous firmware. Works great now.
    I dont think it asked me for a code? When I connect the rocketfish to my TV a rocketfish screen pops up with a setting button on the bottom left and some technical stuff like ssid and it says searching for peers then I flip on miracast on my s4 and it finds my TV and I connect. TV screen says connecting then connects then instead of my phone screen coming up some words come up and tells me my device doesnt support HDCP. I noticed that audio does come through like if I play YouTube I can hear the audio on my TV just no video Just a black screen.
    I dunno if it's something in the rocketfish settings but I don't know how to get into the settings it doesn't come with a remote.

on my netgear i get this HDCP error too. First time i connected to netgear from my SGS4 the netgear input on the TV displayed a code to enter on my phone. my pone also showed a pop up box where i fed in the code. it hasnt asked me to give the code again.the same process happened when i connected my WiDi laptop to the netgear the first time. But even after feeding the code and accepting it, it still briefly brings up a HDCP error screen which is shown on my videos and then that error screen disappears and mirroring happens.

Have you rooted your phone and flashed a custom rom if so then you might be getting HDCP errors as far as i am aware and remedy is triangle away process as far as i am aware. Although i havent tried anything like that as havent needed to do it.

Add Screen Saver.
    Fixed DNS hijack.

I applied this fix and to my surprise the TV is showing the video cast from my Nexus 7 is 1080p! Yea!