[Q] NAE but can't run KitKat

Search This thread

hAvAAck

Sep 8, 2007
Orlando
Hey all, I need some help trying to troubleshoot what went wrong. Note between every flash I did clear cache and full formats of the whole phone.

1. I was on SACS 4.3 ROM, MK2 and already had CWM recovery
  2. I ODINed the NAE modem, it stuck - my baseband and software say L720VPUFNAE
  3. I flashed SACS 4.4.2 ROM, it went well booted up and setup, but could not provision the network (I had wifi)
  4. I reflashed SACS 4.4 a couple times, same problems. Tried AOKP 4.4, glitchy and froze a lot.
  5. Flashed stock NAE from sprint, installed, but stuck on provisioning again. I checked and it didn't show I had NAE, it showed my baseband and software was UNKNOWN.
  6. Flashed back to SACS 4.3 and everything works well again. Still shows NAE as the baseband and whatnot.

I would have thought I had a bad modem flash, but everything works and shows NAE. What is the issue?

Last edited:

bioshocked

Mar 8, 2014
Houston
Hey all, I need some help trying to troubleshoot what went wrong. Note between every flash I did clear cache and full formats of the whole phone.

3. I flashed SACS 4.4.2 ROM, it went well booted up and setup, but could not provision the network (I had wifi)
  4. I reflashed SACS 4.4 a couple times, same problems. Tried AOKP 4.4, glitchy and froze a lot.
  5. Flashed stock NAE from sprint, installed, but stuck on provisioning again. I checked and it didn't show I had NAE, it showed my baseband and software was UNKNOWN.
  6. Flashed back to SACS 4.3 and everything works well again. Still shows NAE as the baseband and whatnot.

I would have thought I had a bad modem flash, but everything works and shows NAE. What is the issue?

go to the Phone dial pad and punch in ##786# to pull up the RTN screen, It'll show you more accurate info on than what your Baseband and Software ect. The first time I flashed Sacs 4.4 V1 I flashed it using Phils 6.0.4.7, had the same problem. got it to flash flawlessly using the same process, but using Philz 6.0.4.6. just to be sure that was the issue i repeated process using 6.0.4.7, same problem, wouldnt provision network, just wifi, everything said unknown. couldnt make it work using 6.0.4.7. Tried again using 6.0.4.6, and again everything worked perfect ALSO try flashing the stock NAE.tar.md5 first, then Sacs 4.4 v2. Ive read that worked for many, Your problem is most likey CWM. flash Philz 6.0.4.6 then re try, let me know how it goes

Last edited:
Reactions: hAvAAck

hakeem0996

Nov 4, 2007

it's the exact same story for me .had to go back to 4.3 but my only issue is now i am unable to watch video in any form (personal vids ,Netflix,youtube,vine even cutscenes in games) i really dont know what to do .even tried to Odin back to MF9 but no success.I neeed HELP

leaderbuilder

@hakeem0996
.even tried to Odin back to MF9 but no success.I neeed HELP
If you were on MJA/MK2 bootloader you CANNOT Odin to anything before that - MF9 etc.
You'll need to PC Odin MK2 full tar to get back to stock. That tar is here.

For the others if you have a MK2 or NAE bootloader why not flash the full .tar of either one (MK2 or NAE) - both are available here. Full .tar will restore baseband and ALL partitions.

The for both the above root via CF-Autoroot, install recovery via PC Odin or goomanager - I'd go with Philz via PC Odin.
Then install what ever you want following the developer's instructions.

hAvAAck

Sep 8, 2007
Orlando
go to the Phone dial pad and punch in ##786# to pull up the RTN screen, It'll show you more accurate info on than what your Baseband and Software ect.

Your problem is most likey CWM. flash Philz 6.0.4.6 then re try, let me know how it goes

Agree with @bioshocked I've ended up with unknown baseband before as well. Flashed nae firmware before the installation worked out perfect.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda app-developers app

Thanks, I'll try a full NAE firmware ODIN tonight, but I'm not sure where to get it. Is it this?

KC6UFO

Go back and follow the instructions exactly: Here they are so thanks them and i'll take one too:

thanks goes to travisw0204 and GhostTac for this

This is a step by step instruction guide for those having issues flashing this ROM using a MF9 Bootloader and wanting to keep their bootloader Knox free. This should only be attempted if you have tried the first install option multiple times and are following the instructions completely (unless you are already rooted) and are getting hung up at the Sprint Splash screen. Read these instructions carefully and all the way through BEFORE you do this processes and make sure you are not cutting corners.

1. You need to be on MF9 bootloader

2. You need to flash a stock MDC .tar file. Once downloaded you have to extract the .tar file using 7zipper or a program similar. I got mine from RWilco's site found here..
http://www.rwilco12.com/downloads.ph...9/Stock ROMs

3. Once you have the stock .tar file you can then boot to download mode to prepare for Odin. Power down completely. Then press and hold Power + Vol down. You will see a warning page and then press vol up to get to download mode.*

4. Now plug your phone into your computer and open *Odin. I use 1.85 but some may use a later version. They all work.

5. Once connected to Odin the box in the middle to upper left should be yellow to let you know your phone is connected.*

6. Now click on PDA and find the .tar file for the stock rom that was obtained from rwilco's site. Hit start and let it run its course.*

7. Once Odin says Pass, the phone will reboot and you WILL get a yellow Sprint screen and nothing else. Don’t freak out. Press and hold the Power button and reboot the phone. Then press and hold power + vol up to boot into the stock recovery. From there do a factory reset and then the phone will boot up.*

8. Once fully booted you will have a small OTA update followed by the MF9 OTA update. This is the last OTA you should take.*

9. Once you go through those 2 updates you can then root using cf auto root through Odin (do the steps to get to download mode from above). Let it do its thing and the phone will reboot.*

10. Once you're booted up check to make sure you're rooted by looking for the super SU app in the app drawer.*

11. Now it's time for your custom recovery. Go back into download mode as mentioned above, plug the phone into the computer and open Odin once again to flash the CWM 6.0.4.4 recovery.*

12. Let the phone boot back up after the recovery flash.*

13. Now power down fully again and boot back into download mode.

14. Flash the mk2 modem found here (http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=2338919) through Odin and boot back up.*

15. Go to Settings and About Device and make sure the baseband and version both match and end with mk2.

16. Now power down again and boot back into download mode. At this point it's time to flash the NAE modem to get you ready for Kit Kat. That modem also can be found at the above link for Unknown or in the OP in this thread.

17. Once you flash the modem through Odin follow Sacs instructions on how to flash the 4.4.2 rom.

It sounds like a lot but really isn't and it will assure you that you're starting with a clean slate and a Knox free bootloader.*

*You can use PDA for all your .tar files for this process in Odin or AP for later Odin programs.*

**This process will also work for those on MJA and MK2 bootloaders with Knox. You can follow the same steps but instead of going back to MDC you have to go to MJA and work up from there. There will only be one OTA update taken and that's from MJA to MK2. Once on MK2 follow Sacs instructions on how to flash the rom and you'll be good to go.

Thanks go out to Unknown and rwilco for their hard work and dedication

---------- Post added at 01:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 PM ----------

I bet you a buck you are not on the right bootloader. Check this using Device info which you can get from the app store. Then foolow the previous instructions i attached.

hAvAAck

Sep 8, 2007
Orlando
go to the Phone dial pad and punch in ##786# to pull up the RTN screen, It'll show you more accurate info on than what your Baseband and Software ect. The first time I flashed Sacs 4.4 V1 I flashed it using Phils 6.0.4.7, had the same problem. got it to flash flawlessly using the same process, but using Philz 6.0.4.6. just to be sure that was the issue i repeated process using 6.0.4.7, same problem, wouldnt provision network, just wifi, everything said unknown. couldnt make it work using 6.0.4.7. Tried again using 6.0.4.6, and again everything worked perfect ALSO try flashing the stock NAE.tar.md5 first, then Sacs 4.4 v2. Ive read that worked for many, Your problem is most likey CWM. flash Philz 6.0.4.6 then re try, let me know how it goes

I flashed stock NAE and then SACS, same problem. Where can I find Philz 6.0.4.6? All I see are 6.07 and 6.19

hAvAAck

Sep 8, 2007
Orlando
Now I'm back stock NAE not rooted and I can't seem to charge the phone. Everytime the screen goes to sleep it wakes back up to reconnect the charger..

hakeem0996

Nov 4, 2007
@hakeem0996
If you were on MJA/MK2 bootloader you CANNOT Odin to anything before that - MF9 etc.

For the others if you have a MK2 or NAE bootloader why not flash the full .tar of either one (MK2 or NAE) - both are available here. Full .tar will restore baseband and ALL partitions.

The for both the above root via CF-Autoroot, install recovery via PC Odin or goomanager - I'd go with Philz via PC Odin.

Thanks for your advice I flashed MK2 and flashed 4.3 scas rom and i'm no longer on NAE thank i can play videos again on my phone now my new problems is that my data is really weak now my phone can't even go to the play store without loading for what seamed an eternity . Is there a way i can fix that ? is there a code i can punch in tha reset my signal to make my data stronger .Sorry for nugging you guys .

leaderbuilder

Thanks for your advice I flashed MK2 and flashed 4.3 scas rom and i'm no longer on NAE thank i can play videos again on my phone now my new problems is that my data is really weak now my phone can't even go to the play store without loading for what seamed an eternity . Is there a way i can fix that ? is there a code i can punch in tha reset my signal to make my data stronger .Sorry for nugging you guys .
update the PRL and Profile in System Updates

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Have you tried a complete ODIN of NAE firmware?

Agree with @bioshocked I've ended up with unknown baseband before as well. Flashed nae firmware before the installation worked out perfect.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda app-developers app
    @hakeem0996
    .even tried to Odin back to MF9 but no success.I neeed HELP

Have you tried a complete ODIN of NAE firmware?

Thanks, I'll try a full NAE firmware ODIN tonight, but I'm not sure where to get it. Is it this?

No, download the full tar file from Random45's thread in the android development thread. His has great download speed.

Sent from my icrap 2 using Tapatalk HD