Sped up my device drastically without rooting.

Search This thread

supremekizzle

Mar 15, 2013
If anyone is not wanting to root, but speed up your device just do what I did.

If you go into the app drawer and click the capacitive settings button, you can select the option to uninstall/disable apps. Some of the samsung and google ones are in folders within the app drawer. By disabling trip advisor, knox, news week, various Samsung apps, etc. I sped up a lot. No custom Rom or launcher needed. I actually enjoy using this thing now.

Last edited:

ZebTheCalvinist

Feb 6, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Hmm... This is probably a dumb question, but if you can disable Knox, would you be able to avoid the issues that come along with rooting?

Have you noticed a difference in battery life?

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk

Ahmedmoataz

Jan 27, 2014
If anyone is not wanting to root, but speed up your device just do what I did. If you go into the app drawer and click settings, you can disable stock apps. By disabling trip advisor, knox, news week, various Samsung apps, etc. I sped up a lot. No custom Rom or launcher needed. I actually enjoy using this thing now.

Well that's new.....nice work man

Reactions: iTelegraph

jonling

Feb 12, 2014
Grand Rapids
I do not even see the stock apps. Just my stuff. What do I need to do to see them. I cannot find such an option anywhere. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

kkretch

Jan 1, 2013
near Pittsburgh
I do not even see the stock apps. Just my stuff. What do I need to do to see them. I cannot find such an option anywhere. Thanks!

How did you disable Knox? The option is grayed out.

You open the app drawer not app manager. Knox and some of the other apps are grouped in the Samsung, Galaxy Plus and Google folders.

Once you open the app drawer touch the settings button to the left of the home button. You will then see the option uninstall/disable apps, after you click that option the apps that can be disabled or uninstalled will have a red - beside them. System apps will be disabled and non-system will be uninstalled.

Last edited:

supremekizzle

Mar 15, 2013
You open the app drawer not app manager. Knox and some of the other apps are grouped in the Samsung, Galaxy Plus and Google folders.

Once you open the app drawer touch the settings button to the left of the home button. You will then see the option uninstall/disable apps, after you click that option the apps that can be disabled or uninstalled will have a red - beside them. System apps will be disabled and non-system will be uninstalled.

This is what I did. Havent noticed a difference in battery life as this thing lasts forever as is.

DeBoX

Jul 26, 2010
Noticed a slight improvement in battery life, maybe a tad less lag ...?

graewulf1

Ahh. You need to be using touchwiz to do this. I was using nova launcher and the option was not available. Now to see if they actually stay off. Business week and a few others have kept turning themselves back on without me touching them in the past.

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
The main killer on this tablet is the display. From a weighted perspective it is about 30% more hungry than my previous tablets including the current Air and V11. The display seems very inefficient.

Seems only having the display really dim is the only significant battery saver, IMO.

Though I prefer Android, I may return this and wait for a 32gb model of the 8.4 that just got released. I will tinker some more, but battery life is bugging me compared to what I am used to, and current tablets to compare with.

Last edited:

lotus49

Jun 28, 2011
Yorkshire
Hmm... This is probably a dumb question, but if you can disable Knox, would you be able to avoid the issues that come along with rooting?

Sadly not. If it were that easy, we'd all be merrily rooting away instead of having second thoughts about our purchase.

The problem would be rooters (like me) face is that flashing a new bootloaders blows the fuse regardless of whether the Knox applications are enabled or not.

tspatil001

Dec 3, 2013
Nashik

If you go into the app drawer and click the capacitive settings button, you can select the option to uninstall/disable apps. Some of the samsung and google ones are in folders within the app drawer. By disabling trip advisor, knox, news week, various Samsung apps, etc. I sped up a lot. No custom Rom or launcher needed. I actually enjoy using this thing now.

Can you please make it lucid & elaborate by attaching screenshots? I'm unable to find it in my device.

HtcDickson

Nov 26, 2013
Lima
Knox

For me if eh could disable knox friend, it is true that you can do from the touchwiz launcher, but when I open processes, there is Knox with 2 mb RAM usage in order is not much, but it should be one of its processes because eh Knox desabilitado

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-03-13-07-09-17.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-03-13-07-09-17.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 404

Elim

Feb 17, 2008
Antwerpen
No because here are only the applications are disabled with manage the Knox container. This container is the way of Samsung to secure their Android devices so that we can use them also in a secure environment (some companies).

A part of this Knox container is the so called Knox-Flag (or -Bit) which is part of a secure-boot. And when we start to root or to flash not (by Samsung) signed firmware then this is no longer given. Therefore also the Knox applications will not run any longer and give warnings.

This is Knox and for more informations look here: Samsung Knox.

But what you means is that Samsung says that they link warranty also to this flag.

So, there are 2 issues when you root your Note. You will maybe have problems with getting warranty and the Knox container didn't work any longer.

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
Knox seem like one more thing to resource bloat the device with. Screw most of their customers over for the much smaller percent of enterprise customers they aspire but fail to so far get.

ZebTheCalvinist

Feb 6, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Knox seem like one more thing to resource bloat the device with. Screw most of their customers over for the much smaller percent of enterprise customers they aspire but fail to so far get.

Yeah, it would be great if Samsung didn't burden their customers with extra apps that cost them money and that they'll never use. I saw that the Galaxy S5 comes with something like $600 worth of additional apps and service. I'm sure that the average user will use maybe $50 worth of those apps and wish that the rest could be uninstalled. I'd so much rather just save money on the initial purchase and buy the apps and services I want with the money I saved.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

How did you disable Knox? The option is grayed out.

If anyone is not wanting to root, but speed up your device just do what I did. If you go into the app drawer and click settings, you can disable stock apps. By disabling trip advisor, knox, news week, various Samsung apps, etc. I sped up a lot. No custom Rom or launcher needed. I actually enjoy using this thing now.

Well that's new.....nice work man