Good News !!! SIM CARD MOD IS HERE !!!

Search This thread

The Solutor

Dec 14, 2006
Turin
1. Droid 4 bootloader can't be unlocked
2. TI has left the phone/tablet CPU business (unlike MSM8960, OMAP4 can be already considered a legacy SoC)

3 the D4 has a bright but poor pentile LCD panel while Photon's one is a nice RGB one

4 D4 lacks the useful camera button, while Photon lacks the useful physical navbar

adamantem

Apr 30, 2013
Hi, CornholioGSM, I wanna buy a logicBoard with the sim mod, can you send it to Mexico?

Enviado desde mi XT897 mediante Tapatalk

b_force

Sep 2, 2013
Together with a collegue of mine, we are currently doing exactly this: designing a flex-pcb (0.15mm), that has a nano-SIM-socket. The special thing: The nano-SIM-socket is a "push-push"-type and does not require a tray for the simcard.

Additionally, the SIM-socket is so small, it even fits the phone without removing the small shield on the phone.

Currently, we are waiting for some more sockets from the company who produces them, as they are not available yet from distributors...
Well, that sounds like a very good idea! :D
Keep me (or maybe us) informed if you can :)
I'm seriously interested in it, almost seems to fit exactly my thoughts.

Otherwise I think I indeed will buy a sample or the real think and find a solution.
But still, if someone can give some measures, that would be great :)

Last edited:

The Solutor

Dec 14, 2006
Turin
But still, if someone can give some measures, that would be great :)

Here you are...

Keep in mind I'm not from Swiss :) , measures are taken carefully but some imprecisions may be still there

2a6nr43.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: B-44 and niko99

The Solutor

Dec 14, 2006
Turin
Likely I have an answer to the puzzling SIM card error, reported by many users.

As I wrote in message #1001 I was unlucky with my photon, it had poor sensitivity, I checked and redone the mod many times, I checked everything else and I finally realized that my work had nothing to do with this. I got a faulty board, that's all.

BTW due to various personal issues (and a bit of laziness) I postponed the board replacement until few days ago.

Now I moved the mod to a new logic board and the missing signal bars are now back.

BUT

this time I have the infamous SIM error at least once a day, sometimes twice a day.

Hardly the culprit is the SIM slot, as guessed by other users affected by the problem.

Firstly because the SIM and the SIM slot are the same used on the old logic board. And in the old logic board I haven't seen the problem a single time in six months.

Secondly because, often, the problem appears overnight when the phone is sitting w/o any vibration that can affect a poor contact.

Given that I can exclude any temperature problem too.

So I asked myself why the original mod (done relatively poorly) was working perfectly, and the second one (done way more carefully) isn't working as expected. ?

Finally I realized a difference between the two: on the original mod I lost the resistor labeled 1712 in picture taken by Cornholio and I shorted it, while in the actual mod all the original components are in place.

board4.jpg

Given the SIM contact where this resistor is connected is the I/O pin (read the main SIM pin) I'm almost sure that the lower resistance makes the difference, likely because the resistor is calculated by Motorola engineers taking in account a way shorter electrical path, and w/o the added contact resistance that is higher on a contact than a soldered pin, no matter how good is the SIM slot.

In the next days I'll short that resistor on the new mod too, and I'll post if my guess is correct.

Last edited:

kabaldan

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 15, 2009
Prague
android.doshaska.net

Given the SIM contact where this resistor is connected is the I/O pin (read the main SIM pin) I'm almost sure that the lower resistance makes the difference, likely because the resistor is calculated by Motorola engineers taking in account a way shorter electrical path, and w/o the added contact resistance that is higher on a contact than a soldered pin, no matter how good is the SIM slot.

In the next days I'll short that resistor on the new mod too, and I'll post if my guess is correct.

Interesting, thanks. I'm looking forward what the outcome will be.

My status:
My 1st Photon Q modded by Cornholio a year ago worked without a single issue for several months while using T-Mobile SIM, until I changed my mobile operator and let my number to be transfered to Vodafone. Since I started to use Vodafone LTE SIM, the SIM started to fail, sometimes several times a day, sometimes once in several days.

At the time I made this SIM switch, I also ordered 2nd Photon Q (dedicated for CM development, so I could freely experiment while keeping one of the Qs always operational, as I'm using it as my daily driver).
Cornholio modded this 2nd Q for me using better card holder than in the first one and also offered to remake the 1st one as well. But I haven't found the time for the remake so far.

The Vodafone SIM in the Q with the 2nd revision of mod works more reliably than in the 1st one, but the card still occasionally fails.

As I've had also one older, mostly unused prepaid T-Mobile SIM, I've put it in the 1st Q. With this card, there are zero failures again.

So I'm pretty sure that the issue is electrical. Card holder can contribute to it, but the most important factor is the card type, its sensitivity / electrical characteristics.

The failures usually happen at places with poor signal coverage, where the phone often switches between several BTSs while all of them have poor signal. And it usually happens to me during a phone call made at such place. As soon as I go out from the basement to a place with better coverage, the SIM does not fail during calls. As long as I stay at that poor place, I can hardly finish any call, it's almost always sooner or later interrupted by SIM failure.

Hence I guess that the failure usually happens while the phone is switched to max TX power and is actively transmitting.

So my hypothesis is that it's the interference from antenna what's disturbing the communication line to SIM. (The main antenna is located at the bottom edge of phone, exactly where we put the SIM holder.)
The removal of that resistor could increase the signal to noise ratio on that line, so it indeed could be a viable solution.

I've also considered another way how the card could be brought to failure. The reset pin has to be held up. When the voltage on reset line goes below a threshold for about 100ms, SIM reset is triggered. Such reset would cause the card to send Answer_To_Reset to modem, which would be regarded as SIM failure by the modem if it wasn't the modem firmware who actively issued the reset to the SIM. If what happens on Reset line would be the cause of SIM failures, we could try to use lower resistance of the Reset pull-up resistor. But this is just pure speculation.

Reactions: comstyle

MontyMontie

Mar 29, 2012
I still have my photon q buts the screen is cracked...battery ribbon broke and sim solder was a failure..lolol... wouldn't mind bringing it back to life but the cost...

Sent from my SM-N900 using xda app-developers app

CornholioGSM

Apr 13, 2005
Prague
Interesting, thanks. I'm looking forward what the outcome will be.

My status:
My 1st Photon Q modded by Cornholio a year ago worked without a single issue for several months while using T-Mobile SIM, until I changed my mobile operator and let my number to be transfered to Vodafone. Since I started to use Vodafone LTE SIM, the SIM started to fail, sometimes several times a day, sometimes once in several days.

...i must say that i use approx 7 months better thicker wires (0,3mm) and alps slots and all modded photons from this time works without problems.

Reactions: lusk

kabaldan

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 15, 2009
Prague
android.doshaska.net
...i must say that i use approx 7 months better thicker wires (0,3mm) and alps slots and all modded photons from this time works without problems.
As I've said, the 2nd Q modded by you at the beginning of September is much, much better than the 1st one in regard to SIM stability, yet I'm still getting occasional SIM failures when using the LTE uSIM by Vodafone CZ.
I suppose you've already used ALPS slot and thicker wires on it. Can the difference between wires be easily seen? I'll open it and check it.

Maybe is to soon to speak but I shorted the resistor and looks like the problem is gone.
Thanks!
Looking at the circuit again, the left 1712 resistor seems to be a pull up resistor for the I/O line.
@ftaka reported that the SIM worked for him even when this pull up remained unconnected.
Though @gehstock reported that without it, his SD card had issues.
See here and the few following posts: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=35138573

Replacing the pull up resistor with near zero resistance short cut doesn't seem entirely right to me. The current will go high while the I/O line will be at level 'low'.

In the mean time I've tried to convince Vodafone CZ to provide me with their older non-LTE SIM card, which they offered before their switch to new uSIM cards during the last August. But so far it looks like they prefer to lose a customer than to issue the older card.

I'll definitely have to do something, so I guess I'll first try to reduce the pull up resistance.

The Solutor

Dec 14, 2006
Turin
Thanks!
Looking at the circuit again, the left 1712 resistor seems to be a pull up resistor for the I/O line.

I haven't had any time to check what the resistor actually does, the pull up function looks more than a reasonable guess to me.

BTW we are talking about a real world circuit rather than the perfect theoretical one, and as we know, often the real world is way different than the theory that describes it.

Likely my tin bridge is a way different than a perfect short circuit, the copper lane too, it has it's own resistance and so on, likely the behavior will change because the sim tolerances/different make/different generation.

So I'm still trying to understand what's going on, I believe the value of the resistor is an important variable, maybe an higher value is better for the SIM X, and a lower value is better for the SIM Y.

Too bad the resistor is so tiny and can't be replaced easily w/o risking to destroy something

In the mean time I've tried to convince Vodafone CZ to provide me with their older non-LTE SIM card, which they offered before their switch to new uSIM cards during the last August. But so far it looks like they prefer to lose a customer than to issue the older card.

I have the "BIS service", here in italy. They are two "twin" SIM with different ICCIDs but with the same phone number, one of the two can be used as master and the second one as slave, with further configurations possible.

Very handy to use the second sim on a different phone/on a gsm car stereo, on a tablet and so on, using the same traffic bundle.

That said while I have replaced the main sim (called SIM ONE) with an LTE + NFC model, the secondary one (called SIM BIS) is available only as good old 128K sim without any LTE support.

Both the sim are working fine on my photon Q, while the older one has the STK that doesn't work on the original Photon 4G.

It's the triumph of the imprecise science, the newest one works fine on an older phone, while the older type has some glitches.

So I perfectly understand your frustration.

For the record Vodafone Italy too doesn't allow the sim downgrade too, if you have a 4G sim you have to stick with it.

Last edited:

Morecrabs

Jan 11, 2014
Ive modded two of these myself only issue ive incountered on either Q is the handshaking issue IN cm10.2.1 between H+ and 3g (loosing data completely in 3g) otherwise they work perfectly and one of them suffered a fatal dropping accident and replacement digitizer and its still kicking, no sim card errors, perhaps its the wire used in the mod, i used rubber coated in each modd to prevent grounding found that the coated solid wire was too hard to tin and too difficult to prevent from grounding issues inside the phone

szegi2

Nov 23, 2013
Hi,

I did the sim mod and its working well. But the white keyboard foil is damaged. All the keys are working, but the backlight is terrible. If someone has a broken mainboard I gladly buy the foil. I'm living in Hungary. szegi2 at yahoo dot com

Currently I'm working on the removable battery mod for photon q ;)
Droid bionic battery (HW4X/TW4X) works with photon q without any problem.

koldor

Feb 6, 2014
And finally, after trip to Prague, my mobile moded by corholio arrived.. perfect work and working ok... even after the mess i made to ttrying to do it myself... absolutely recomended no anyone...

One thing i'm experiencing, is that battery doesn't last as much as mi old xperia S... it hardly finish the day with very low use.. is it normal? maybe a time for replacing the batt with a new one?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Photon Q - SIM CARD MOD
    This mod works on all gsm/umts networks - after edit NV on USA networks too.
    kabaldan : In cm-11.0 since Apr 30 2015, cm-12.0 since Feb 24 2015 or any cm-12.1/13.0 builds, you can execute 'unlock-us-gsm' command in a root enabled terminal emulator app or adb shell.

simmod.png

What is needed:
    Soldering Station, Hot Air Rework Station with Nozzle Straight approx Ø7mm Dia, Solder Flux (not important), Tweezer, Small wires (you can use bonding wire from old headphones), Screwdriver and Good Nerves

1001967g.jpg

Unsolder Metal Cover ans SIM IC:
    First remove keyboard foil to avoid damaging with the hot air!
    Set Hotair temperature to 420~430°C and pressure to thirt.
    ...on IC apply Flux
    Check video:

SIM Card Connection:
    Beznazvu02efd.png

MY FINAL PRODUCT VIDEO:
    Aml0N.jpg

if you want do this mod from me...just contact me via PM or my "photon q" email phqmod@gmail.com

...approx 600+ photons was modded by me :)

I GIVE FOR ALL XT897 MODDED BY ME WARRANTY FOR SIM MOD
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Special thanks to member ikv for lent his Photon Q for modding
    so if you want you can donate me
    Made In
    CzechStickFlag06.gif

Donated by:
    IKV
    Rennert X2
    Maxpowersxp
    abbie7
    Flintston314 X2
    NikolauZi X2
    dirkie_de
    Petra Gasnarkova
    intijk
    Adamoos
    Jordenlewis
    tarmokull
    Poursinet
    oTToToTenTanz
    Die Bruine
    LordMarty
    Micron
    crackerjack9249
    adisbladis
    Oleg Gorfinkel
    Gonzalo Gil
    Ales Bujnoch
    kubago
    aromenajla
    lilboogs
    .....and many many many more :)
    AT&T in the USA!

This guy right here is full of win:
    AFAIK, it's not SIM lock but a 'radio lock' - the Razr HD/M could read at&t sim card just fine as well, but it couldn't actually connect to the network (it behaved like the sim card was not activated by the operator).
    In any case, the NV Item 8322 is set to 1 on Photon Q (Sprint), so the connection to US GSM carriers is supposedly blocked.
    But the NV Item 8322 can be easily set to 0 e.g. using the RadioComm sw as described here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2166542
    So it's no big issue.

I had to actually run through this twice, possibly due to this:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=38837493&postcount=8
    I went ahead and let it sit for a minute before rebooting the phone, and I used the phone itself to reboot, rather than RadioComm's restart button.

After modding NV Item 8322 that second time and rebooting, my freshly SIM slot modded Photon Q just made a phone call on AT&T in the USA. Am I first? :D
    Thanks to CornholioGSM for his help with my photon Q.
    I just finish this modification as you can see in the picture.
    There is enough space for slightly trimmed sim card.

It works perfectly!
    ...I ve made mod for user Flintston314.

there are pictures :
    simz.png
    ...Little upgrade :) :) :)

img20130103231544673.jpg

img20130103232045082.jpg