[GUIDE] How to restore / import Line chat history!

Search This thread

BillBauman

Aug 28, 2012
Skip to How to Import Chat History below to skip the background reading.

Yes, there is a graphical import method for Line!

If you use Line, and you want to change between devices, it seems as though it is nearly impossible to backup (export) and restore (import) your Line chat history. I have searched XDA, Google, AndroidForums, Line's (useless) online help, etc. No help, no info. There are some guides about how to use a SQL editor to fool the app, etc., but that was just way too much effort for me, so I finally gave up and just switched. BUT, before I did, I went ahead and exported all my chats, even knowing there was no way to import them, just in case. Well, that just paid off.

There is absolutely no method available within Line to restore your chat history, right?! WHY is there a backup option? There MUST be a way! Seemingly no.

I just figured it out. And when I explain it, you too will wonder, why in the !#$%@^$@%!#@$!#$@^*%^&(*%^@# has Naver not published this?????

I was on my way to back everything up in preparation for a new ROM and figured I'd do a complete and total system wipe, meaning, I went to take a look at my internal storage (SDcard, Emulated, 0, whatever you refer to it as), to ensure that I got all the little things I want, like Viber pictures, WhatsApp pics, etc. And there I saw it. The folder. And, like you are now thinking, I thought, just maybe...

How to Import Chat History (Abbreviated, Quick and Easy)

Copy your chatHistory.zip file to internal storage sdcard/LINE_Backup
Start Line, open an existing chat or start a new chat with the person whose chat history you want to restore
Tap the drop-down arrow in the upper right, Chat Settings, and look what just showed up below the (formerly) useless Backup Chat History option

How to Backup and Restore Chat History (Additional Details)

Line offers a "Backup Chat History" option, but keep in mind, this is conversation / per-person specific. That means, you need to do it for each individual person.

For my own ease of use, and to make transferring things easy, now that I know what the process is, here's what I did.

Backing Up

Go into the conversation you want to backup.
Tap the drop-down arrow in the upper right, and select Chat Settings.
Select Backup Chat History, Backup All
Say Yes to e-mail this chat - in a previous version, I had to enter the conversation person's name in the subject, the new Line now does this for me.
Repeat this process for every conversation you want to migrate to a new device.

Restoring

On your new device, save the attachments from each e-mail into the /InternalSDCard/LINE_Backup/ directory.
Start Line, go to Chats, Tap the Chat Bubble in the upper right to start a new conversation, select the person you want to restore
Your chat window will be empty, but from here, you just follow the instructions above, basically, drop-down arrow, Chat Settings, Import Chat History

And that's it.

I REALLY hope this helps some people out. I wasted a LOT of time trying to figure this out, and as usual, once you know the solution, it's pretty simple and seems so obvious.

If I helped, throw me some Thanks button so I know I wasn't the only one!

kkwhong

Nov 6, 2013
I have a google Nexus 5, which doesn't have any internal storage.

Are you able to specify where this should be copied too as I cannot seem to find the right holder.

Also, what am i copying in there? The actual zip file or an extract of the zip file?one

BillBauman

Aug 28, 2012
I have a google Nexus 5, which doesn't have any internal storage.

Are you able to specify where this should be copied too as I cannot seem to find the right holder.

Also, what am i copying in there? The actual zip file or an extract of the zip file?one

On your internal storage of your Nexus 5, create a folder called: LINE_Backup the exact upper/lower case and _ matter. Put the LINE backup zips in that folder, do not extract them. LINE knows which zip goes with which user, you just have to start the chat and import per the instructions above.

raveur

Nov 10, 2006

Line offers a "Backup Chat History" option, but keep in mind, this is conversation / per-person specific. That means, you need to do it for each individual person.

For my own ease of use, and to make transferring things easy, now that I know what the process is, here's what I did.

Backing Up

Unfortunately, The "Backup All" setting only applies to one-on-one conversations. Group chats only give you the Backup as Text option.

Reactions: BillBauman

BillBauman

Aug 28, 2012
Unfortunately, The "Backup All" setting only applies to one-on-one conversations. Group chats only give you the Backup as Text option.

That sucks. I haven't tried a group chat in LINE before. Did you try a backup/import to see if it would work? I'm sort of assuming no, that it doesn't work, based on your post. :/

daer2dai

Sep 12, 2013
Thanks!

A huge THANKS for this, saved me alot of trouble.

Still, anyone figured out how to import group chats? Maybe from the text file?

daimyorl

Jun 6, 2013
I just found a method for importing the chat history using Titanium Backup and the terminal. You need root for this. Recently Line made some changes that made this more
Hope you find this useful.

1. Restore Line with Titanium Backup (app+data) (DON'T OPEN THE LINE APP YET!)

2. Log into a root shell and delete the previous settings:

sqlite3 /data/data/jp.naver.line.android/databases/naver_line
delete from setting;
.quit

3. Now we have to delete this xml only if you are using a recent version. In previous ones it didn't even exist as far as I know
rm /data/data/jp.naver.line.android/jp.naver.line.android.settings.xml

4. Open the Line app and it will ask you to enter your user and password.
You will receive a warning about losing your chat history. Just ignore it and...

5. Enjoy!

Last edited:

shackks

Apr 2, 2007
I had copy the zip files to the Line_backup folder which was already in the phone internal memory. However, there is no Import Chat History Button.

The Line version was the latest one and had Force Stop and restarted Line. Still to no avail.

Reactions: CounterC

Ravyn

Dec 25, 2013
Is there any way to view the chat log?

What format is it saved in and how would you go about viewing the chat log if you were sent one from a chat that wasn't yours?

MishyMix

Dec 30, 2013
Didn't Work on LG Android Optimus

I must be doing something wrong, but it seems I've followed all the steps. The LINE_backup files are in my SD card, but when I click Import Chat History>yes>ok, nothing happens... :/
I made an account just to post on here and hopefully find out.

james.abcde

Jan 12, 2014
I just found a method for importing the chat history using Titanium Backup and the terminal. You need root for this. Recently Line made some changes that made this more

delete from setting;
.quit

3. Now we have to delete this xml only if you are using a recent version. In previous ones it didn't even exist as far as I know

5. Enjoy!

I used this method and bang! It works like a charm!
Thanks a lot :)
*It actually still gives warning after I logged in - that my chat history will be deleted or such -, but actually it didn't delete a thing. So, to anyone who wanna try this, don't worry with the warning message!*

daimyorl

Jun 6, 2013
I used this method and bang! It works like a charm!
Thanks a lot :)
*It actually still gives warning after I logged in - that my chat history will be deleted or such -, but actually it didn't delete a thing. So, to anyone who wanna try this, don't worry with the warning message!*

Glad it was useful for you!

Thanks for the feedback. I will add the info about the warning as I forgot it completely.

norike

Mar 20, 2012
Girona
Hello,

This gives me this error:
Error: unable to open database "data/data/jp.naver.line.android/databases/naver_line": unable to open database file
I use the emulator in ROM Toolbox Lite

delete from setting;
If I use SQLite Debugger to delete the setting table, and I also remove the jp.naver.line.android.settings.xml file with ES Explorer, I get the Force Close when I try to open the application.

And If I delete the whole naver_line database, then Line starts, but losing the chat history.

Reactions: sga999

norike

Mar 20, 2012
Girona
Error: unable to open database "data/data/jp.naver.line.android/databases/naver_line": unable to open database file
Got it! I was missing the su command to make the emulator rooted.
I also found the jp.naver.line.android.settings.xml file in a slightly different location than where daimyorl said above (but the credits go to him). For me it was into /data/data/jp.naver.line.android/shared_prefs/

Then, the complete instructions that worked for me are:

2. Log into a shell and delete the settings:
    Code:
    su
    delete from setting;
    .quit
  3. Remove jp.naver.line.android.settings.xml
    Code:
    rm /data/data/jp.naver.line.android/shared_prefs/jp.naver.line.android.settings.xml
  4. Open the Line app and it will ask you to enter your user and password. It will also ask your phone number for the confirmation SMS.
  5. Enjoy!

Last edited:

simika

May 19, 2012
Rome
Amazon Fire TV
I also found the jp.naver.line.android.settings.xml file in a slightly different location than where daimyorl said above (but the credits go to him). For me it was into /data/data/jp.naver.line.android/shared_prefs/

Code:
    su
    delete from setting;
    .quit
    Code:
    rm /data/data/jp.naver.line.android/shared_prefs/jp.naver.line.android.settings.xml
  4. Open the Line app and it will ask you to enter your user and password. It will also ask your phone number for the confirmation SMS.
  5. Enjoy!

i'm gonna try it tonight.. i really hope it does work cause LINE about backup chat is so so annoying !!
i hope it works, thank you !!!
i'll give u feedback later!

lishanshung

Apr 13, 2014
Can I import to a different phone number?

Thanks for the guide. Does this work if I want to import my chat history to a completely different phone number? But I'll still be using the same android phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Skip to How to Import Chat History below to skip the background reading.

Yes, there is a graphical import method for Line!

If you use Line, and you want to change between devices, it seems as though it is nearly impossible to backup (export) and restore (import) your Line chat history. I have searched XDA, Google, AndroidForums, Line's (useless) online help, etc. No help, no info. There are some guides about how to use a SQL editor to fool the app, etc., but that was just way too much effort for me, so I finally gave up and just switched. BUT, before I did, I went ahead and exported all my chats, even knowing there was no way to import them, just in case. Well, that just paid off.

There is absolutely no method available within Line to restore your chat history, right?! WHY is there a backup option? There MUST be a way! Seemingly no.

I just figured it out. And when I explain it, you too will wonder, why in the !#$%@^$@%!#@$!#$@^*%^&(*%^@# has Naver not published this?????

I was on my way to back everything up in preparation for a new ROM and figured I'd do a complete and total system wipe, meaning, I went to take a look at my internal storage (SDcard, Emulated, 0, whatever you refer to it as), to ensure that I got all the little things I want, like Viber pictures, WhatsApp pics, etc. And there I saw it. The folder. And, like you are now thinking, I thought, just maybe...

How to Import Chat History (Abbreviated, Quick and Easy)

Copy your chatHistory.zip file to internal storage sdcard/LINE_Backup
    Start Line, open an existing chat or start a new chat with the person whose chat history you want to restore
    Tap the drop-down arrow in the upper right, Chat Settings, and look what just showed up below the (formerly) useless Backup Chat History option

Backing Up

Say Yes to e-mail this chat - in a previous version, I had to enter the conversation person's name in the subject, the new Line now does this for me.
    Repeat this process for every conversation you want to migrate to a new device.

Restoring

On your new device, save the attachments from each e-mail into the /InternalSDCard/LINE_Backup/ directory.
    Start Line, go to Chats, Tap the Chat Bubble in the upper right to start a new conversation, select the person you want to restore
    Your chat window will be empty, but from here, you just follow the instructions above, basically, drop-down arrow, Chat Settings, Import Chat History

And that's it.

I REALLY hope this helps some people out. I wasted a LOT of time trying to figure this out, and as usual, once you know the solution, it's pretty simple and seems so obvious.

If I helped, throw me some Thanks button so I know I wasn't the only one!

delete from setting;
    .quit

You will receive a warning about losing your chat history. Just ignore it and...

5. Enjoy!

Code:
      su
      delete from setting;
      .quit
      Code:
    5. Enjoy!
    Hello there!

As per my usual routine, whenever I find myself doing a full wipe on my Android device, I always make sure to come back here and consult the steps and recommendations shared to avoid those annoying limitations when it comes to restoring the LINE app without a proper backup system. Seriously, it's quite frustrating how they make it so complicated!

But hey, I've got some great news to share with you. In the past, I used to rely on the outdated Titanium Backup, but it's difficult to make it work for most of the apps nowadays so I switched to this app called Swift Backup. And the good news is, with the proper configuration, Swift Backup seems to be capable of restoring LINE as well.

How to do it? It appears that if you check the box labeled "Restore app SSAIDs" in Swift Backup, LINE opens up without any additional hassle. This nifty feature restores the app's original ID. Although I personally believe it may not be necessary, just to be on the safe side, I recommend activating this option when creating the backup, not just during the restoration process. Oh, and one more thing, after restoring LINE, it's essential to restart your device; otherwise, you might encounter some troublesome issues.

Initially, when I tapped on the LINE icon, nothing happened. You know, that all-too-familiar symptom where the app detects that you're using a different device. Even after restarting, the app still refused to open. However, I stumbled upon a little trick that did the trick for me: I uninstalled the app and then restored it again. Voilà! That did the trick, and I was able to use LINE without any additional fuss. Hence, I wholeheartedly recommend considering Swift Backup for your backup needs. While there may be other apps out there with similar functionalities, I haven't come across them just yet. If you happen to know any, I'd be delighted to hear your recommendations. All I can say is that Swift Backup works like a charm and can save you from the laborious steps that this amazing community has managed to decipher. Of course, if a direct restoration method exists, all the better!

To sum it up, here's a quick rundown of the steps to restore LINE, as I mentioned based on my personal experience:

1. Opt for Swift Backup or other backup app with SSAID restoring capabilities
    2. When you restore LINE using Swift Backup, make sure to turn on the "Restore app SSAIDs" option. I think It's not required, but it's a good idea to enable this option when you're creating the backup, not just when you're restoring it.
    3. Once the restoration is complete, it's crucial to restart your device. Trust me, this step is vital; otherwise, LINE may not open.
    4. After restarting your device just opening the LINE app should do the trick and you could continue using LINE in your new device (actually I think that probably could let you keep using LINE in 2 different devices)
    5. If the LINE app still won't open uninstall the app and restore the backup once again (actually most of the time I had to uninstall before I could make it work).

Please bear in mind that these steps might vary depending on the specific device and software versions you're using. If you happen to stumble upon any additional tips or alternative methods, feel free to share them with the wonderful folks in this forum.

I sincerely hope this information assists you in restoring LINE after a full wipe without causing you unnecessary stress.
    Best of luck!
    Just my 2c... This method if backup/restore sucks... not because of the OP, but because LINE doesn't have a batch backup/restore option!!! Have hundreds of conversations that I'd like to maintain... which means, hundreds of times of clicking backup etc etc, the hundreds of times clicking restore etc etc.

FYI, if you are willing to root your phone and pay for TIBackup Pro you can simplify the process. Backup LINE (user apps) and your SETTINGS (system apps) with TIBackup. Copy TIBackup folder to external sdcard or PC. Do whatever you were going to do that required you to backup/restore LINE. Load up TIBackup, load up the TIBackup folder, restore LINE APP+DATA, then goto the menu in TIBackup and scroll to the bottom and select 'manage android id' and select restore from backup (if you backed up the correct settings data under system data there will only be ONE option). Your phone will automatically reboot. Click on LINE, boom everything just like it was before.