FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

GENERAL CHAT!! All XDA'ers Welcome (noobs included) :)

2,793 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,681

By DarkStryder, Senior Member on 11th November 2013, 05:49 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
13th March 2014, 09:15 PM |#251  
Flag Kanpur
Thanks Meter: 178

Donate to Me
More
Well i am using Mokee Open Source 4.4.2 and quite simply the best in my opinion.
It features OTA updates too.
Otherwise there is SlimKat which is just like Mokee.
Or Omni Rom...
They can be flashed via recovery which you should have had flashed via odin while rooting.
Which recovery are u on btw.?
As for bloatware, you can uninstall them now that u are rooted and can continue your stock rom if u like.
Just get Root Uninstaller or any similar app and you can uninstall any bloat u feel..just remove cautiously so as to not remove any system app.
Hmm try and report back here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to raamishmk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift raamishmk Ad-Free
14th March 2014, 07:25 AM |#252  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
How can i see if an app is a system app?
Quote:
Originally Posted by raamishmk

Well i am using Mokee Open Source 4.4.2 and quite simply the best in my opinion.
It features OTA updates too.
Otherwise there is SlimKat which is just like Mokee.
Or Omni Rom...
They can be flashed via recovery which you should have had flashed via odin while rooting.
Which recovery are u on btw.?
As for bloatware, you can uninstall them now that u are rooted and can continue your stock rom if u like.
Just get Root Uninstaller or any similar app and you can uninstall any bloat u feel..just remove cautiously so as to not remove any system app.
Hmm try and report back here.

Thanks a lot! Your answers are really helpful.
I have ClockworkMod Recovery 6.0.2.3 installed. How can I see if an app is a system app?

Johanna
14th March 2014, 08:36 AM |#253  
Flag Kanpur

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by johanna52

I have ClockworkMod Recovery 6.0.2.3 installed. How can I see if an app is a system app?

Johanna

Just glad to share whatever i know, thats what we all do on xda.
Well just a caution that update to latest Philz Touch Recovery that u can find or latest TWRP Recovery as those are the ones which can flash a KitKat Custom rom should u ever wanna try.
And which ever app is not listed under downloaded in Settings>Apps or settings>manage apps is a system app.
But you should just remove pre loaded games or any other pre loaded third party apps such as Dropbox or Drive if you dont use them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to raamishmk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift raamishmk Ad-Free
14th March 2014, 08:42 AM |#254  

More
System apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by raamishmk

Just glad to share whatever i know, thats what we all do on xda.
Well just a caution that update to latest Philz Touch Recovery that u can find or latest TWRP Recovery as those are the ones which can flash a KitKat Custom rom should u ever wanna try.
And which ever app is not listed under downloaded in Settings>Apps or settings>manage apps is a system app.
But you should just remove pre loaded games or any other pre loaded third party apps such as Dropbox or Drive if you dont use them.

Ok thanks! I will give it a go. Still not sure about a 4.4.2 rom. The Mokee rom has the best instructions. I probably will try it. I always like to try out something new.
But maybe first I will see if I can solve the wifi issue.

Johanna
14th March 2014, 10:09 AM |#255  
Flag Kanpur

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Ok thanks! I will give it a go. Still not sure about a 4.4.2 rom. The Mokee rom has the best instructions. I probably will try it. I always like to try out something new.
But maybe first I will see if I can solve the wifi issue.

Johanna

Well flash a 4.4.2 custom rom like Mokee and i assure you will never go back unless u need warranty.
14th March 2014, 11:40 AM |#256  
Flag Lucerne
Thanks Meter: 2,339

More
Quote:

You can use app SD Maid to uninstall any app. System App means they've been installed as part of the OS. Many of them can be removed safely. Most of bloat apps are define as system app, yet can be removed without problem.

Now when you have root, you can create your first nandroid backup, ghost image of whole OS that can be restored if anything goes so wrong that you can't use the OS anymore.

If you're happy with your system, keep it. I also prefer custom ROMs. I'm running SlimBean and Omni 4.4.2 unofficial.

Mind that you can't flash any KK rom with your old CWM recovery version, you need to update your recovery at least to CWM 6.0.4.4 for KK, or to TWRP 2.6.3.x
The Following User Says Thank You to tetakpatak For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tetakpatak Ad-Free
14th March 2014, 11:44 AM |#257  

More
Nandroid backup
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetakpatak

You can use app SD Maid to uninstall any app. System App means they've been installed as part of the OS. Many of them can be removed safely. Most of bloat apps are define as system app, yet can be removed without problem.

Now when you have root, you can create your first nandroid backup, ghost image of whole OS that can be restored if anything goes so wrong that you can't use the OS anymore.

If you're happy with your system, keep it. I also prefer custom ROMs. I'm running SlimBean and Omni 4.4.2 unofficial.

Mind that you can't flash any KK rom with your old CWM recovery version, you need to update your recovery at least to CWM 6.0.4.4 for KK, or to TWRP 2.6.3.x

Thanks! That Nandroid backup, where do I find that?

Johanna
14th March 2014, 02:15 PM |#258  
Flag Kanpur

Donate to Me
More
In the recovery there would be backup and restore.
So go to there and press backup.
U need to have atleast 2.5 GB of space.
This is important as sometimes if u mess some things up and your tablet wont boot into your rom then this backup will come into help as u can always go into Recovery no matter what.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to raamishmk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift raamishmk Ad-Free
14th March 2014, 02:17 PM |#259  
Flag Boise
Thanks Meter: 520

More
Quote:

Thanks! That Nandroid backup, where do I find that?

Johanna

Go into your recovery. There will be an option that reads "backup and restore". Inside there you'll see quite a few options. Look for "backup to sdcard1" or "backup to external sdcard". Something along those lines. Click it and let it do its thing!

ALWAYS have a functional nandroid in your back pocket. They are essential in the mod game!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T769 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
14th March 2014, 02:18 PM |#260  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by njstein

Go into your recovery. There will be an option that reads "backup and restore". Inside there you'll see quite a few options. Look for "backup to sdcard1" or "backup to external sdcard". Something along those lines. Click it and let it do its thing!

ALWAYS have a functional nandroid in your back pocket. They are essential in the mod game!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T769 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Thanks! So much to learn.

Johanna
The Following User Says Thank You to johanna52 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift johanna52 Ad-Free
14th March 2014, 02:33 PM |#261  
Flag Kanpur

Donate to Me
More
Hey a quick question people.
I used to play Gangstar Rio City Of Saints on 4.1.2 and then on 4.2.2 but now it doesnt works on 4.4.2.
Couldnt find anyone playing that on kitkat...have any of you faced the same issue.?
Coz its still in play store.
Although some apps have been confirmed not working but cant find about this one.
The Following User Says Thank You to raamishmk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift raamishmk Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)