[Q] Defy bricked. Wont turn on, only white led on pc

Search This thread

Niko.

Mar 10, 2014
I had cm11 (or 10, not sure) installed for about a month now (back in december) .... Went on a trip, and when coming back my phone battery ran out at the airport somehow, but i had fully charged it and i was not out all day enough for it to run out fully... I take my phone home, not really giving it much importance, and i noticed it was stuck on the bootlogo.. so i went into recovery and tried to re-flash the rom and fix it, but when i was installing the ROM again, the phone shut off randomly (i heard that happened with a certain recovery menu software sometimes, i cant remember the name)... then the phone wouldn't charge and/or turn on, and when I connect it to the pc, nothing happens other than the white led coming on.. RSD won't recognize it...

So i found out i had to charge the battery manually, and used a Universal Charger... Still, no recognition by RSD Lite...

Finally, i found a way:
1. Open RSDLite
2. Connect phone (no battery on it)
3. While holding Power + Vol Up, put the battery in
4. RSD will recognize your phone!

Problem is, it recognizes my MB525 as "S Flash OMAP0360"
And when i try to flash a .sbf i used previously to recover my phone (had bricked it before by trying to change ROMs in a sloppy manner), it seems to flash smoothly, but when it's going to reboot the phone, the progress goes up to 100% and then asks me to reboot it manually.. I read somewhere that to fix that i should take the battery out, disconnect the phone, put it back in, and make RSD recognize it like i mentioned before...... and after RSDLite says flashing is PASSED, the phone still won't turn on... I have tried at least three times and gotten the same result... Help?

The SBF i am using (because it helped me save my phone before) is:
JORLA_U3_3.4.2_107-9_SIGNED_USAJORDMR1B25TIGCOLA01E.0R_JORLAFROTIGCOL A_P009_A002_M010_HWp3_WIG146037_Service1FF.sbf

EDIT: Also, i read somewhere that when all you get is the white led (when connecting to PC) it means that your battery is not charged enough for flashing.. ?

I don't know what to do?? I read that defy's are really hard to brick... But mine got bricked out of nowhere.. wtf?

Last edited:

htto

Feb 12, 2014
gist.github.com
I had cm11 (or 10, not sure) installed for about a month now (back in december) .... Went on a trip, and when coming back my phone battery ran out at the airport somehow, but i had fully charged it and i was not out all day enough for it to run out fully... I take my phone home, not really giving it much importance, and i noticed it was stuck on the bootlogo.. so i went into recovery and tried to re-flash the rom and fix it, but when i was installing the ROM again, the phone shut off randomly (i heard that happened with a certain recovery menu software sometimes, i cant remember the name)... then the phone wouldn't charge and/or turn on, and when I connect it to the pc, nothing happens other than the white led coming on.. RSD won't recognize it...

So i found out i had to charge the battery manually, and used a Universal Charger... Still, no recognition by RSD Lite...

Finally, i found a way:
1. Open RSDLite

And when i try to flash a .sbf i used previously to recover my phone (had bricked it before by trying to change ROMs in a sloppy manner), it seems to flash smoothly, but when it's going to reboot the phone, the progress goes up to 100% and then asks me to reboot it manually.. I read somewhere that to fix that i should take the battery out, disconnect the phone, put it back in, and make RSD recognize it like i mentioned before...... and after RSDLite says flashing is PASSED, the phone still won't turn on... I have tried at least three times and gotten the same result... Help?

JORLA_U3_3.4.2_107-9_SIGNED_USAJORDMR1B25TIGCOLA01E.0R_JORLAFROTIGCOL A_P009_A002_M010_HWp3_WIG146037_Service1FF.sbf

EDIT: Also, i read somewhere that when all you get is the white led (when connecting to PC) it means that your battery is not charged enough for flashing.. ?

I don't know what to do?? I read that defy's are really hard to brick... But mine got bricked out of nowhere.. wtf?

Hey there. Well, if it's still flashable it ain't bricked. I've got my other one to not be recognized (broken bootloader), which is beyond usual repair. So, did you you flash some random SBF before the rescue one you're trying out now? There's a problem with previously flashed GingerBread or Defy+ SBF images. So it would be good to know, what was the SBF running before trying "JORLA_U3_3.4.2_107-9". Also according to http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=27 that is 2.2.1 and there's also a "Android 2.2.2 Blur_Version.34.4.802.MB525.Latam.en.01". Tried that as well?

Anyhow, if the phone is seen by RSDlite it actually powers on and is recoverable. If the screen is just staying black, then you probably tried a downgrade from a Gingerbread SBF and didn't watch out for the BL-version.

If it's a BL-version problem then this might help. Also there is a guide to unbrick. And yes, keep an eye out for the battery level. Best would be an external charger, as the phone does not charge. McGyver way should still work though.

If it shows a LED and is seen over USb, it's not dead (yet) ;)

Also look out for section "Common Problems/Questions" here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Niko.

Niko.

Mar 10, 2014

Hey there. Well, if it's still flashable it ain't bricked. I've got my other one to not be recognized (broken bootloader), which is beyond usual repair. So, did you you flash some random SBF before the rescue one you're trying out now? There's a problem with previously flashed GingerBread or Defy+ SBF images. So it would be good to know, what was the SBF running before trying "JORLA_U3_3.4.2_107-9". Also according to http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=27 that is 2.2.1 and there's also a "Android 2.2.2 Blur_Version.34.4.802.MB525.Latam.en.01". Tried that as well?

Anyhow, if the phone is seen by RSDlite it actually powers on and is recoverable. If the screen is just staying black, then you probably tried a downgrade from a Gingerbread SBF and didn't watch out for the BL-version.

If it's a BL-version problem then this might help. Also there is a guide to unbrick. And yes, keep an eye out for the battery level. Best would be an external charger, as the phone does not charge. McGyver way should still work though.

No, i have not flashed other SBF's ever... only CM roms but i did it through the phone itself, in recovery mode.. I'll try the 2.2.2 one you told me about and see how that works out!

EDIT: No luck, the phone stays at a black screen.. it wont even reboot when RSD is done flashing.. i have to take the battery out and put it in bootloader again for RSD to say it PASSED the flashing

Last edited:

htto

Feb 12, 2014
gist.github.com
No, i have not flashed other SBF's ever... only CM roms but i did it through the phone itself, in recovery mode.. I'll try the 2.2.2 one you told me about and see how that works out!

EDIT: No luck, the phone stays at a black screen.. it wont even reboot when RSD is done flashing.. i have to take the battery out and put it in bootloader again for RSD to say it PASSED the flashing

Too bad :( Anyway, did you try 8. from here, that is
"
If you get " Please manually power up this phone " in RSD Lite pull battery out > put your battery back > reboot into stock recovery by holding Power button and Vol- button > Choose Wipe data/cache > Choose Reboot system now
"? Also holding Power and Vol-Down while inserting battery is said to work.

I wonder if there is an SBF that also flashes cache and userdata partitions...

Niko.

Mar 10, 2014
Nope, it just stays black-screened.... It only works if i do VOL-UP for bootloader mode, but that doesnt help

htto

Feb 12, 2014
gist.github.com
Umm, as a shot into the blue: Did you try to reinstall the Defy drivers from Motorola? It seems that missing those hinder RSD lite from detecting the Phone as MB52x and instead just show the Processor identification, i.e. "S Flash OMAP3630"

htto

Feb 12, 2014
gist.github.com
Try dfp 231. The processor identification is correct( rsdlite has been set up properly).

Yeah, it worked also for the defy in this thread.

And just for reference the original thread with the hinted SBF:in post #4
"
WIIII i have successfull unbriked my defy with this rom
defyplus_u3_4.5.1-134_dfp-231_cn_sign_ucadefyemarab1b50aa009.0r_pds03c_usajr dngibrird15_p015_a030_service1ff.sbf.gz
"
Basically had the same BL7-problem.

Niko.

Mar 10, 2014

"
defyplus_u3_4.5.1-134_dfp-231_cn_sign_ucadefyemarab1b50aa009.0r_pds03c_usajr dngibrird15_p015_a030_service1ff.sbf.gz
"

wtf, the phone flashed correctly and everything but the screen won't turn on.... The computer recognizes it as MB526 now, and i can touch the home button and stuff and it will vibrate like it used to when it worked... i can also make the ringtones play using the moto portal page... Everything works (except for calls) other than the fact that i still have a black screen... the screen just wont turn on... Also it said it had very little internal memory compared to what it had before (had at least 2 gb i think.. now not even one)

I had sent the phone over to fix, and they told me it was unfixable... Is it possible that the guy (it wasnt an official company) who "tried to fix it" simply took parts out of it ? -_- (if he had taken parts out of it im guessing the phone wouldnt turn on at all..?)

What can i do to turn the screen on??

EDIT: i flashed DEFYPLUS_U3_4.5.1-134_DFP-231_GR_SIGN_UCADEFYEMARAB1B80AA004.0R_PDS03C_USAJRDNGIBRRTCEE_P022_A022_Service1FF.sbf

I couldnt find the one you posted there so i did the central europe one...

Last edited:

htto

Feb 12, 2014
gist.github.com
wtf, the phone flashed correctly and everything but the screen won't turn on.... The computer recognizes it as MB526 now, and i can touch the home button and stuff and it will vibrate like it used to when it worked... i can also make the ringtones play using the moto portal page... Everything works (except for calls) other than the fact that i still have a black screen... the screen just wont turn on... Also it said it had very little internal memory compared to what it had before (had at least 2 gb i think.. now not even one)

I had sent the phone over to fix, and they told me it was unfixable... Is it possible that the guy (it wasnt an official company) who "tried to fix it" simply took parts out of it ? -_- (if he had taken parts out of it im guessing the phone wouldnt turn on at all..?)

What can i do to turn the screen on??

EDIT: i flashed DEFYPLUS_U3_4.5.1-134_DFP-231_GR_SIGN_UCADEFYEMARAB1B80AA004.0R_PDS03C_USAJRDNGIBRRTCEE_P022_A022_Service1FF.sbf

I couldnt find the one you posted there so i did the central europe one...

Umm, according to this thread it is supposed to be this one.

The GR vs CN maybe doesn't make a difference, but maybe the P022_A022 vs. P015_A030?

Doesn't a working phone portal allow for somehow to get logs/adb etc?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Try dfp 231. The processor identification is correct( rsdlite has been set up properly).

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk

Finally, i found a way:
    1. Open RSDLite

Too bad :( Anyway, did you try 8. from here, that is
    "
    If you get " Please manually power up this phone " in RSD Lite pull battery out > put your battery back > reboot into stock recovery by holding Power button and Vol- button > Choose Wipe data/cache > Choose Reboot system now
    "? Also holding Power and Vol-Down while inserting battery is said to work.

I wonder if there is an SBF that also flashes cache and userdata partitions...

"
    "