For newcomers to this amazing community

Search This thread

TonyStark R.I.P.

Retired Moderator - R.I.P.
May 20, 2008
Malibu Point
This should be publicized more. In 5 yrs I can't recall seeing a single reference to this before today despite seeing many people ask questions on how to get started with developing for Android.

Thank you for pointing it out.

Sent from my EVO using xda premium
:good: It's been listed in the main General section>XDA University.

For some great reading material, write ups can be found here

yorisou

Feb 27, 2014
The Woodlands, Texas
plus.google.com
May I ask why you need 10 posts to be able to reply to dev threads? Seems a tad overbearing, considering all I wanted to do was post some logcat outputs and battery stats and thank someone who ported a rom over to my device. :eek:

AarSyl

in a dev thread apparently, pretty much anything besides viewing the thread is unavailable to me.

That wasn't his point. There is a thank button available for that. If you wanted to give the dev a logcat, you could'lve sent a PM. Besides, a logcat is only useful to the dev, not the general public, really....we don't need to know that you posted a logcat.

Reactions: Dread 7us

TonyStark R.I.P.

May 20, 2008
Malibu Point
That wasn't his point. There is a thank button available for that. If you wanted to give the dev a logcat, you could'lve sent a PM. Besides, a logcat is only useful to the dev, not the general public, really....we don't need to know that you posted a logcat.
You are correct but your point went a bit askew. In most cases a dev will make the statement, in the OP, asking people to post a lc. If you are a noob... you can PM the dev and explain your predicament.

The main reason for 10 post, is meant for "Joe Average". We used to have, way to many users starting out immediately posting in Development, with comments like "I'm new, is this ROM any good" - "will this damage my device" or one of my favorite (in a ROM thread) "how do I install ADB":eek:

Best for any new user to simply read and READ and post in Q&A or General for the first few posts.

Sorry that this may not be suitable to your liking, but this forum is called XDA Developers after all. Would you rather everything be closed to developers only?

Last edited:

TonyStark R.I.P.

May 20, 2008
Malibu Point
yes.

on some off topic stuff. when you use google now do you say okay Jarvis??

IronMan2.gif

yorisou

Feb 27, 2014
The Woodlands, Texas
plus.google.com
actually it had to do with something about block38 on the new partition tables. Nevermind though, I've already wiped it and gone back to just using Kali Linux on my htc evo 4g lte. Most of my attention is working on a way to get fedora 20 ARM running on my tablet that is not supported by any of the current builds, sorry for bothering you.

---------- Post added at 07:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 AM ----------

and correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see any thank button. And the one in his signature isn't one.
Untitled.png

AarSyl

and correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see any thank button. And the one in his signature isn't one.

That depends on which form of the forum that you are using. If you are using the xda app, then you have to tap near the top of the post that you want to thank, and it will be knew of the options.

If you are using the Tapatalk app, there will be a thumbs up in the top left corner of the screen.

If you are using a browser in desktop mode, or an actual PC, the thanks button is on the bottom of the post, towards the left. Make sure that you are signed into xda, and not browsing as a guest.

Just an extra tidbit of info: there are no thanks button within the off-topic section of xda.

yorisou

Feb 27, 2014
The Woodlands, Texas
plus.google.com
That depends on which form of the forum that you are using. If you are using the xda app, then you have to tap near the top of the post that you want to thank, and it will be knew of the options.

If you are using the Tapatalk app, there will be a thumbs up in the top left corner of the screen.

If you are using a browser in desktop mode, or an actual PC, the thanks button is on the bottom of the post, towards the left. Make sure that you are signed into xda, and not browsing as a guest.

Just an extra tidbit of info: there are no thanks button within the off-topic section of xda.

look at the screenshot I posted, and type in the URL. After confirming where I took the screenshot from, show me where on the bottom left is the thanks button? And of course I am signed in, I took that screenshot before the edit and after the original post. :rolleyes:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    We've all heard it at least once... "XDA sucks, no one helps anyone, they hate noobs, etc." I digress...

As with anything in life, we remember the bad much longer then we do the good. With a bazillion members, we are bound to have a few that know how to invoke bad reactions

Another thing that most don't care to think about is that maybe some of us that are uninitiated WOULD LIKE TO LEARN MORE. But AFAIK there are no threads specifically for EDUCATING us that want to learn more about how these devices work. (I'd love to see some)

XDA University

Now, I may cut a bit deep here but here goes... This topic probably has been brought up due to the questions popping up all over the Sense5.5 dev thread. I think I may know why since I watched it unravel. When the thread was created, there was of course the standard disclaimer, (Broke it? Your fault, not mine) the download link, and the normal reserved posts for extra documentation.
    Aside from that, the Q & A that is now posted, was copied from another thread AFTER I was shamed by @Sinistertensai for simply asking a question that WAS NOT posted in the thread YET!
    Thankfully @FinZ28 and others created a thread just for Q/A. A thread I have yet to post in because I get all of my questions usually answer by searching threads. (That would also explain my tiny post count...)

We mods are always here. While we may not answer in a timely fashion, suitable for some, we too are only human and get to peoples reports ASAP. Please always use the report button when you feel the ground comming out from beneath you. @FinZ28 is one of XDAs shinning examples of a Recognized Contributor. he gained his stripes by helping. Without the RC group, there would be much more chaos then what you have encountered.

I would love to learn more about how you all work your magic on these phones. I just don't want to get treated like a prick for asking a dumb question. The dumbest questions are the one's that are never asked.

I'm sorry you feel this way. It's a rarity of Devs (now a day) to determine the capability of any user.

Now consider the average 10 - 15y/o that comes in and demands attention (this of course never happens) and the end run is, had they read the slightest, they would have found an answer. Sadly today, this is the norm on XDA! That is what our Developers deal with.

While some Devs can be harsh or down right immature, we are here to try and keep the peace between the fractions.

And let me end with these parting words... Do not take offense to this, but see the humor XDA back in the 4 million member realm
    I'm not sure that you even understand why the kernels improve battery life. Custom kernels have much much more to bring to the table that simple overclocking, which is also something that most people do not do anymore since we don't have many single core decides these days.

Most kernels focus first on increasing performance. But by getting good performance, you get optimization from the processors, which results in better battery life (Intellidemand governor, anyone?).

If you want to greatly improve battery life, underclock your phone. You don't need a custom kernel to do that. But your phone will certainly suffer the speed differential that ours with custom kernels will not.

Agreed too many people think all a custom kernel does is oc the the cpu. They don't understand the features they provide. S2w, USB fast charge, better cpu governors(better battery life), better io schedulers, build optimizations, etc...

Sent from my HTCONE
    You are correct but your point went a bit askew. In most cases a dev will make the statement, in the OP, asking people to post a lc. If you are a noob... you can PM the dev and explain your predicament.

The main reason for 10 post, is meant for "Joe Average". We used to have, way to many users starting out immediately posting in Development, with comments like "I'm new, is this ROM any good" - "will this damage my device" or one of my favorite (in a ROM thread) "how do I install ADB":eek:

Best for any new user to simply read and READ and post in Q&A or General for the first few posts.

Sorry that this may not be suitable to your liking, but this forum is called XDA Developers after all. Would you rather everything be closed to developers only?
    Ok, back on topic for a sec...

I have been holding my tongue and just sitting back watching all of the shenanigans that have been going down between Dev's and Noobs both. Honestly, I'm going to say that both parties are to blame in some fashion. (More on that in a second...)

As you can see my post count is not very high here. I have lurked...and read...and learned...and flashed...and broke things...read some more...and fixed even more things. With everything I have learned from this "amazing" community, I have been able to make my EVOLTE do some really truly amazing things. Some people have gone out of their way to help and make sure that the XDA-experience is a good one. Some, on the other hand have not... That happens with every forum in existance. There will be jerks, trolls, noobs, fools, and people who just wont use the search function, RTFM, etc.

There are "other" forums available that have a lot of info about Android development, none IMHO that happen to be as organized and concise as XDA. The down-side is that XDA has gotten a reputation for being full of pretentious as$holes. We've all heard it at least once... "XDA sucks, no one helps anyone, they hate noobs, etc." I digress...

My experience has been lukewarm at best. I, for one, know that I know almost nothing about dev'ing. I would love to learn more but between age, having a family, work (2 jobs BTW), I probably won't be able to just "RTFM" for dev'ing. Another thing that most don't care to think about is that maybe some of us that are uninitiated WOULD LIKE TO LEARN MORE. But AFAIK there are no threads specifically for EDUCATING us that want to learn more about how these devices work. (I'd love to see some)

Now, I may cut a bit deep here but here goes... This topic probably has been brought up due to the questions popping up all over the Sense5.5 dev thread. I think I may know why since I watched it unravel. When the thread was created, there was of course the standard disclaimer, (Broke it? Your fault, not mine) the download link, and the normal reserved posts for extra documentation.
    Aside from that, the Q & A that is now posted, was copied from another thread AFTER I was shamed by @Sinistertensai for simply asking a question that WAS NOT posted in the thread YET!
    Thankfully @FinZ28 and others created a thread just for Q/A. A thread I have yet to post in because I get all of my questions usually answer by searching threads. (That would also explain my tiny post count...)

In closing, I just want to say I know the Dev's are busy! @chubbzlou @Captain_Throwback @Sinistertensai @FinZ28 This hard work is not unappreciated in any way guys and THANK YOU!
    I would love to learn more about how you all work your magic on these phones. I just don't want to get treated like a prick for asking a dumb question. The dumbest questions are the one's that are never asked.

2 pennies.
    n some cases the documentation is very wild and very on-the-go. Documentation is built over time and usually doesn't start off very well and can put-off certain users. Though that's not the problem.

What users need to understand that these development ROMs are not what you'd call a real release build. You're essentially testing everything that comes out... and that means it will have bugs. These ROMs, until "stable," are not plug and play type solutions. You are there to work with it and fix things. It always happens.

Change these user's mindset because that is the root cause. They think they're getting something that will be 100% what they want. It's not.