iPhone Notifications on Gear via Growl ?

Search This thread

Accounti

Sep 27, 2013
Hi,

Just got the Galaxy Gear. Everything is setup with the null rom and I'm thinking about all the different ways to put notifications on it.
The first way i think would be to develop an app on the iPhone just like the pebble the problem is that most people who own a Gear don't have an iphone and vice versa. But maybe by faking the bluetooth profile of the gear on the iPhone and developing an app that would redirect notifications to the Gear we could do something.

Another way would be maybe to use Growlnotifier on the iPhone and growl for android on the Gear. With the first one you can redirect notifications from the iphone to a Growl Client via the IP Adress. What i don't know is if there is some kind of local network created between the gear and the iphone via bluetooth ? if not even when bluetooth internet tethering is on ?

I started to look the different ways but i need more help on this. if fOmey or anyone else could help that is motivated and has some knowledge about all this stuff that would be great !

Thanking you in advance

fOmey

Recognized Developer
Mar 7, 2009
Sydney, AUS
Hi,

Just got the Galaxy Gear. Everything is setup with the null rom and I'm thinking about all the different ways to put notifications on it.
The first way i think would be to develop an app on the iPhone just like the pebble the problem is that most people who own a Gear don't have an iphone and vice versa. But maybe by faking the bluetooth profile of the gear on the iPhone and developing an app that would redirect notifications to the Gear we could do something.

Another way would be maybe to use Growlnotifier on the iPhone and growl for android on the Gear. With the first one you can redirect notifications from the iphone to a Growl Client via the IP Adress. What i don't know is if there is some kind of local network created between the gear and the iphone via bluetooth ? if not even when bluetooth internet tethering is on ?

I started to look the different ways but i need more help on this. if fOmey or anyone else could help that is motivated and has some knowledge about all this stuff that would be great !

Thanking you in advance

If you could code a application which would push notifications from your iPhone to the gear using bluetooth, you will have a functional notification system..

This would involved both a app on the gear & the iPhone tho... so keep that in mind.

Accounti

Sep 27, 2013
If you could code a application which would push notifications from your iPhone to the gear using bluetooth, you will have a functional notification system..

This would involved both a app on the gear & the iPhone tho... so keep that in mind.
The gear would need an app too ?! do you know which bluetooth protocol does it use ? MAP ?
Ok, so it would be a Growl-Like solution. Do you know if when connected over bluetooth the gear and the iPhone have some kind of IP adress ?

gidi

May 29, 2006
A growl like IP based solution is not optimal. Direct BT communication would be preferable for a number of reasons.

Accounti

Sep 27, 2013
A growl like IP based solution is not optimal. Direct BT communication would be preferable for a number of reasons.

Yeah, I understand but let's start with a non-optimal solution and after begin to think about a better way.
Do you if it is possible to create a local network via Bluetooth ? I heard about an app pourquoi android that could send notifications to a computer via Bluetooth using growl (the name is notifier for android) but what I don't know is if there is some kind of IP address between the iPhone and the Gear. On the iPhone there is GrowlNotifier that can send growl notifications via the network to a growl server and on android there is Growl for android that can listen for growl notifications but I have to find a way to make them communicate !

I'm looking for some help here ! fomey and gidi I need you !! ;)

fOmey

Recognized Developer
Mar 7, 2009
Sydney, AUS
The gear would need an app too ?! do you know which bluetooth protocol does it use ? MAP ?
Ok, so it would be a Growl-Like solution. Do you know if when connected over bluetooth the gear and the iPhone have some kind of IP adress ?

Bluetooth MAP protocol by definition on wikipedia:

Wikipedia said:
Message Access Profile (MAP)[edit]
Message Access Profile (MAP)[6] specification allows exchange of messages between devices. Mostly used for automotive handsfree use. The MAP profile can also be used for other uses that require the exchange of messages between two devices. The automotive Hands-Free use case is where an on-board terminal device (typically an electronic device as a Car-Kit installed in the car) can talk via messaging capability to another communication device (typically a mobile phone). For example, Bluetooth MAP is used by HP Send and receive text (SMS) messages from a Palm/HP smartphone to an HP TouchPad tablet.[7] Bluetooth MAP is used by Ford in select SYNC Generation 1-equipped 2011 and 2012 vehicles [8] and also by BMW with many of their iDrive systems. The Lexus LX and GS 2013 models both also support MAP as does the Honda CRV 2012, Acura 2013 and ILX 2013. Apple introduced Bluetooth MAP in iOS 6 for the iPhone and iPad. Android support was introduced in version 4.4 (KitKat).[9]

The gear runs 4.2.2, so MAP is not supported on the gear.

The gear sends JSON requests via bluetooth, you would assume it uses MAP to do this although I don't believe it does. If it did, you would see alot more custom gear apps.

It uses a API embedded in all the APK's which require data transfer from host phone to gear..

If you decompile a gear APK it can be found in:

• com.samsung.accessory.api
  • com.samsung.accessory.safiletransfer
  • com.samsung.android.sdk.accessory

Reactions: bonesnj0

Accounti

Sep 27, 2013

The gear sends JSON requests via bluetooth, you would assume it uses MAP to do this although I don't believe it does.

It uses a API embedded in all the APK's which require data transfer from host phone to gear..

Hmm that's not a good news.
There is no way on the Rom side to avoid this ?
This would only leave us with the Growl possibility...
Do you have any idea on the Bluetooth local network thing I talked earlier ?

Last edited:

Accounti

Sep 27, 2013
What do you mean bluetooth local networking thing ?

I mean if when the gear is connected to the Iphone there is a local network that is created so that we could redirect the notifications of the iPhone via growl to the gear.
To do this we have to know the IP address of the gear to enter them in GrowlNotifier

gidi

May 29, 2006
Yeah, I understand but let's start with a non-optimal solution and after begin to think about a better way.
Do you if it is possible to create a local network via Bluetooth ? I heard about an app pourquoi android that could send notifications to a computer via Bluetooth using growl (the name is notifier for android) but what I don't know is if there is some kind of IP address between the iPhone and the Gear. On the iPhone there is GrowlNotifier that can send growl notifications via the network to a growl server and on android there is Growl for android that can listen for growl notifications but I have to find a way to make them communicate !

I'm looking for some help here ! fomey and gidi I need you !! ;)

Dude, you certainly do not need me. I am not a dev. I was just one of the people in here who would love to see the Gear work with the iPhone. Put your hopes on fOmey!

Accounti

Sep 27, 2013
Dude, you certainly do not need me. I am not a dev. I was just one of the people in here who would love to see the Gear work with the iPhone. Put your hopes on fOmey!

Any help is welcome ! To try things or to try to contact developers ! (Maybe some iPhone tweak developers can help like rpetrich) they have a very good knowledge of iOS limitations and Bluetooth capabilities

Accounti

Sep 27, 2013

The gear sends JSON requests via bluetooth, you would assume it uses MAP to do this although I don't believe it does. If it did, you would see alot more custom gear apps.

Maybe we could use something like this : https://code.google.com/p/android-notifier/wiki/Setup

Do you think guys that the tizen SDK for galaxy gear 2 released today could help us ?

Last edited:

Accounti

Sep 27, 2013
No.. its for tizen not for android. There two completely different OS's.

As for the android-notifier, try it dude.. I dont own a iphone I cant say..

The problem is I don't know where to begin. I tried to get the IP address of the iPhone and the Gear via the Bluetooth PAN Connection. I did an ifconfig in the terminal on the gear and the iPhone. I told the iPhone to send growl notifications to the IP address (172.10.20.5 or something like that) but the Gear does not seem to receive anything ... I don't know if it is because the growl app on the gear is listening on the wifi only or what ...

Brendo

The problem is I don't know where to begin. I tried to get the IP address of the iPhone and the Gear via the Bluetooth PAN Connection. I did an ifconfig in the terminal on the gear and the iPhone. I told the iPhone to send growl notifications to the IP address (172.10.20.5 or something like that) but the Gear does not seem to receive anything ... I don't know if it is because the growl app on the gear is listening on the wifi only or what ...
Do you need a receiver app running on the watch?

fOmey

Recognized Developer
Mar 7, 2009
Sydney, AUS

Dude read the instructions on the site you posted..

If you use bluetooth a IP is not needed...

Bluetooth method
This method opens a serial (RFCOMM) connection between the device and the desktop, so they need to be paired. Because the device is specifically paired to your computer, you don't need any specific network connectivity, and the bluetooth connection is guaranteed to be encrypted.

IMPORTANT: This method is only supported in Android 2.0 or later, due to the bluetooth API not being accessible in older versions. To see what version of Android you have, go to Settings > About phone > Firmware version - if it's less than 2.0, you'll have to use the wi-fi method instead

To set it up using this method:

Install and run the Android app from the Android Market
Install and run the Desktop app for your OS from the Downloads section above
Ensure the android device is paired with your desktop (Settings > Wifi and networks > Bluetooth settings on Android)
Enable the Bluetooth notification method on the android app's settings (enabled by default)
Open bluetooth options in the android app's settings (see below for a description of each option)
Enable the Bluetooth notification method on the desktop app's settings (enabled by default)
The desktop app will listen to and start displaying events from the android app - try making your phone ring, or sending additional test notifications.
You can now exit the android app - the notifications service will be running in the background by default
The presented bluetooth options are the following:

Device pairing - select this to open Android's system bluetooth options, where you can pair your target device
Target device - once your device is paired, select this option to send notifications to a specific device. If this is set to "Any device" (the default), the notifications will be sent to the first computer device found
Auto-enable bluetooth - if enabled, notifications can be sent over bluetooth even if you keep it disabled - every time we need ot send a notification, we'll enable it, send the notification, then disable it again. The downside of this option is that it can take multiple seconds for the notification to actually be sent.

The IP, must be a public IP.. not a local IP which bluetooth tethering would use.

Last edited:

fOmey

Recognized Developer
Mar 7, 2009
Sydney, AUS
Yeah but this app is to send notifications from the android device to a computer. I wanted know if we could use the same protocol.

Its possible to do, although you would need a iphone jailbreak developer to code up a app..

For example look at M2D, it sends notifications from a android phone to the gear without gear manager.. it is possible.. I just dont know if there is already a existing app out there to do it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Wikipedia said:
    Message Access Profile (MAP)[edit]
    Message Access Profile (MAP)[6] specification allows exchange of messages between devices. Mostly used for automotive handsfree use. The MAP profile can also be used for other uses that require the exchange of messages between two devices. The automotive Hands-Free use case is where an on-board terminal device (typically an electronic device as a Car-Kit installed in the car) can talk via messaging capability to another communication device (typically a mobile phone). For example, Bluetooth MAP is used by HP Send and receive text (SMS) messages from a Palm/HP smartphone to an HP TouchPad tablet.[7] Bluetooth MAP is used by Ford in select SYNC Generation 1-equipped 2011 and 2012 vehicles [8] and also by BMW with many of their iDrive systems. The Lexus LX and GS 2013 models both also support MAP as does the Honda CRV 2012, Acura 2013 and ILX 2013. Apple introduced Bluetooth MAP in iOS 6 for the iPhone and iPad. Android support was introduced in version 4.4 (KitKat).[9]