How do custom ROMs handle buttons?

Search This thread

DeanDomino

Mar 13, 2014
The kindle Fire HD does not have any buttons on the front side. If you're running an app in fullscreen then a little picker shows up at the bottom of the screen that contains the buttons "Back, Home" etc.

How do other ROMs handle this lack of buttons? I would like to install CyanogenMod on my Kindle, but I am not sure how it will cope with the Kindle having no buttons.

wire55

Feb 25, 2013
It does have buttons, they are at the bottom of the screen except for when on full screen mode. Then you just swipe up from the bottom of the screen and they show up

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD running AOKP

DeanDomino

Mar 13, 2014
It does have buttons, they are at the bottom of the screen except for when on full screen mode. Then you just swipe up from the bottom of the screen and they show up

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD running AOKP

I was talking about hardware buttons or soft-touch button - like actual physical buttons.

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
I'll show you a screenshot so you get the idea, though keep in mind I'm using a tablet ui so on a normal ROM they are still there but more centered whereas mine are left justified.

uploadfromtaptalk1395045925740.jpg

Wow that pic is old, surprised I still had it sitting around, you can tell by the date in the screenshot.

When in full screen, rather than minimizing the bar like in amazon's os, it turns all the symbols and such into a small dot that's a barely noticeable on the black bar so it doesn't take away from the video, though personally I liked Amazon's solution better, thought it was kinda neat despite everything else in the os I hated.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DeanDomino

Mar 13, 2014
I'll show you a screenshot so you get the idea, though keep in mind I'm using a tablet ui so on a normal ROM they are still there but more centered whereas mine are left justified.

View attachment 2634916

Wow that pic is old, surprised I still had it sitting around, you can tell by the date in the screenshot.

When in full screen, rather than minimizing the bar like in amazon's os, it turns all the symbols and such into a small dot that's a barely noticeable on the black bar so it doesn't take away from the video, though personally I liked Amazon's solution better, thought it was kinda neat despite everything else in the os I hated.

Thanks for the pic. What ROM are you using?

Personally, I kind of like Amazons solution, but I would like to see it improved. My ideas is the following: Make the button-bar auto-hide when running a fullscreen-app. A click on the volume buttons on the backside could make the button-bar visible for a few seconds.

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
I'm on cm 10.1 with my tablet ui patch flashed on top of it. I couldn't get tablet ui working on cm 10.2, jester supposedly did but he never released it on his tablet ui page. I think I can also get this look using a ROM link the pacman ROM or one of the others on cm 11, I've just been lazy and haven't tested them out.