Q: Reset phone but keep root

Search This thread

Hell-Razor

Jan 21, 2011
I am not sure where things started to go fubar (I moved to the Windows phone for a while but now I am back), but things on my rooted note 3 dont work like they should. For example, I cannot setup my work email (enterprise) or school email (microsoft exchange webmail) because it keeps on crashing. I have to reinstall the gmail email app every now and again because that goes haywire and the system update check crashes. I have frozen a few apps but I unfroze and it still doesnt work.

Well to my real question if all that was just mumbo jumbo, how can I reset my phone back to stock (like apps, settings, etc) without losing root? Is it as simple as just selecting factory reset in the settings menu?

Last edited:

Hulk0069

Oct 25, 2010
Well since your rooted how about flashing a stock rom,but make a backup and I'd your content with the stock rom then make a backup of that.

Sent from my SM-N900V using xda premium

sulla65

Feb 11, 2012
Doing a factory data reset will reset the phone back to what it was like out of the box. However It won't make you lose root.

TechSavvy2

Sep 26, 2011
Yes, you can factory reset. Root is in /system files, where when you wipe you only lose /userdata and /cache

lmike6453

Dec 17, 2010
Eagleville PA
Reboot into Recovery mode, select Wipe /data and /system and /cache and dalvik cache if you can, or make a selection similar to "Factory Reset". Be sure to not wipe your SD Card(s)

When you reboot your phone, it will be OOBE(out of box experience) so be sure to backup any call logs, texts, and user apps ahead of time. DO NOT backup/restore "system" apps as it will cause problems

LeftyGR

Oct 18, 2011
Bloomington, IL
Reboot into Recovery mode, select Wipe /data and /system and /cache and dalvik cache if you can, or make a selection similar to "Factory Reset". Be sure to not wipe your SD Card(s)

When you reboot your phone, it will be OOBE(out of box experience) so be sure to backup any call logs, texts, and user apps ahead of time. DO NOT backup/restore "system" apps as it will cause problems

Actually, do not wipe system unless you have a rom to flash on your ext sd. If you do, the only way to use your phone again is by using odin.

<Note3>

Reactions: lmike6453

Hell-Razor

Jan 21, 2011
Thanks guys. I would have done the same mistake.

I have frozen some of the files, do I need to unfreeze them before I do this?

LeftyGR

Oct 18, 2011
Bloomington, IL
Bumps allowed only once a day per forum rules. You're new, so we won't beat you...this time. lol

To answer your question, I don't think it would matter. I believe the settings that hold an app as frozen get wiped when you factory reset. If I'm wrong, it really shouldn't matter. What apps are frozen?

<Note3>

Hell-Razor

Jan 21, 2011
A lot was frozen but I did it anyways. I'm now hunting for what can safely be frozen so I don't fubar my phone

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: LeftyGR

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Actually, do not wipe system unless you have a rom to flash on your ext sd. If you do, the only way to use your phone again is by using odin.

<Note3>
    A lot was frozen but I did it anyways. I'm now hunting for what can safely be frozen so I don't fubar my phone

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk