[Q] Rooting/unlocking

Search This thread

Hunter-Nyan

Mar 21, 2014
So I've got myself a Sony Xperia Z1 and I'm a little unsure about how you root it.

From my understanding you need root to backup the DRM keys. but to get root apparently I need to unlock the bootloader to be able to put a certain version of the ROM on (which wipes the DRM keys).
Then I can root the phone.
Then I can backup the DRM keys

I'm seeing a loop here and I'm not sure what the first step would be. if anyone could point me in the right direction it would be heavily appreciated.

gregbradley

Retired Forum Moderator
So I've got myself a Sony Xperia Z1 and I'm a little unsure about how you root it.

From my understanding you need root to backup the DRM keys. but to get root apparently I need to unlock the bootloader to be able to put a certain version of the ROM on (which wipes the DRM keys).
Then I can root the phone.
Then I can backup the DRM keys

I'm seeing a loop here and I'm not sure what the first step would be. if anyone could point me in the right direction it would be heavily appreciated.

You do not need to backup the TA area (Which contains the DRM keys) if you just want to root. you only need to do that if you unlock the bootloader.

First, read this about unlocking the bootloader
http://unlockbootloader.sonymobile.com/

If you can and you want to unlock the bootloader then do so, making sure you have backed up your TA

If you cant (And in any case you must do this in order to backup your TA) you must

1) Downgrade to 4.2
2) Root using Bin4rys method, google it
3) Install dual recovery for 4.2, Its in the development thread
4) Flash a prerooted 4.4 Rom, in the development section.

If you still want to unlock the bootloader, backup the TA