[Q] Droid Razr Maxx Screen Fixed, But Wont charge Past 5%

Search This thread

Garret27

Feb 15, 2014
Hello all!

I recently purchased a used Droid Razr Maxx from a co-worker. The lcd screen was cracked so I replaced it. I took apart the phone completely and reassembled it with the new screen in place. The phone turns on just fine, the Motorola icon shows up and it gets to the charging battery icon with 5%, but after a few hours of letting it charge, it stays at 5% and wont turn on. Keep in mind, the phone has been charging for two hours from the time this post was made.

My question is, did I somehow damage the battery when operating internally? I can replace the battery if needed.
Another question. If I damaged the motherboard, would the phone turn on at all?

I am kind of wondering if there is a certain thing I needed to do before plugging it in.

To answer any questions that might be asked: The battery was completely dead when I did repair the screen. The charger is a wall usb charger, not plugged into my computer. I did place all the components inside the phone, to the best of my knowledge. I have had experiences when it comes to internal repair.

Last edited:

neo.ank

Apr 28, 2011
Hello all!

I recently purchased a used Droid Razr Maxx from a co-worker. The lcd screen was cracked so I replaced it. I took apart the phone completely and reassembled it with the new screen in place. The phone turns on just fine, the Motorola icon shows up and it gets to the charging battery icon with 5%, but after a few hours of letting it charge, it stays at 5% and wont turn on. Keep in mind, the phone has been charging for two hours from the time this post was made.

My question is, did I somehow damage the battery when operating internally? I can replace the battery if needed.
Another question. If I damaged the motherboard, would the phone turn on at all?

I am kind of wondering if there is a certain thing I needed to do before plugging it in.

To answer any questions that might be asked: The battery was completely dead when I did repair the screen. The charger is a wall usb charger, not plugged into my computer. I did place all the components inside the phone, to the best of my knowledge. I have had experiences when it comes to internal repair.
It could be a faulty charger.
Normally, If the battery is poor, it won't hold charge but it won't stick to a particular percentage. It will only discharge sooner. But given the fact you got the phone dead, it might as well be the battery.
Worst scenario, you damaged the charging port.
I'd begin with using a different charger, if that doesn't work, try another battery.

Garret27

Feb 15, 2014
It could be a faulty charger.
Normally, If the battery is poor, it won't hold charge but it won't stick to a particular percentage. It will only discharge sooner. But given the fact you got the phone dead, it might as well be the battery.
Worst scenario, you damaged the charging port.
I'd begin with using a different charger, if that doesn't work, try another battery.

I have used other chargers and they all work for my other phones, just not this one. I am hoping it's a dead battery and not something to do with the motherboard. My friend wont let me dismantle his phone to see if it's the batter, lol.

Just the clarify, the phone doesn't boot up completely, only to the charging screen. The battery icon with 5% shown. When I unplug the phone from the charging screen, it just dies. Will not even boot up to the phone animation.

Garret27

Feb 15, 2014
I purchased a battery replacement off of Ebay. It'll arrive in a few days. Let's hope this works!

angrist

Dec 9, 2008
Still could be the charger. Did you check voltage and amp specs? 850amps 5.1v

This phone can be picky. First razr I got had broken screen, repaired it and found myself in the same situation.

Connecting to a laptop would not charge it. Only stock charger. IPhone charger or chargers designed for iphones will not work.

Edit: When replacing battery, position is critical. If battery terminals are a little bit displaced it will not turn on.

Displacement can be minimal or imperceptible but will cause troubles. If possible don't place cover before checking that it turns on. (please avoid touching circuits or battery terminals or will get worse).

Sent from my XT910 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:
Reactions: Draxin

Garret27

Feb 15, 2014

This phone can be picky. First razr I got had broken screen, repaired it and found myself in the same situation.

Connecting to a laptop would not charge it. Only stock charger. IPhone charger or chargers designed for iphones will not work.

Edit: When replacing battery, position is critical. If battery terminals are a little bit displaced it will not turn on.

Displacement can be minimal or imperceptible but will cause troubles. If possible don't place cover before checking that it turns on. (please avoid touching circuits or battery terminals or will get worse).

That was exactly the problem....

I got the new battery, but not 24 hours later, I was realigning the cables inside it (like the front facing and rear cameras, along with the WiFi antenna) I slightly moved the replaced battery and the cable to the battery to the motherboard tore itself. After a long face-palm moment, I got the old battery back in place and realigned it very carefully. It turns out it still works, but I am out a new battery.

Apart from the battery, I need to find out why the front speaker won't work. Either the speaker is damaged or something needs to be in place correctly, besides the cable. Also need to get some adhesive gel to bond the screen and case together.

angrist

Dec 9, 2008
Damn I really had forgotten about that speaker. The fact is it tends to break. It has very fine copper wire winding that can break when you remove it the wrong way.

Having no experience I pulled not knowing that speaker is glued to motherboard. At that time I didn't knew it and thought that little bar left was part of the motherboard.

Since you disassembled almost everything, that must be the reason it is failing. If it is not that, it is badly plugged but I really doubt it.

Alas Never fixed it, so i can't tell correct process to reassemble or disassemble that speaker. Instead I searched for apps that would activate loud speaker automatically during calls.

Would have been nice to fix it but I got the opportunity to acquire a RAZR maxx so never touched and sold instead.

Removing that glue might involve using a hot air gun. So that you don't damage motherboard removing by force. (But again too much heat could Fry motherboard)

Maybe someone could share it's experience?

About that screen, Remember to have read about a 3m adhesive spray in some thread.

Also some one just passed hot air that melted original glue but it would be better not to play with heat over a battery.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.