UPDATED 5-12-14 T-Mobile native wifi hotspot hack

Search This thread

justinswidebody

Jun 20, 2010
That might be a good thing then. We shall see. Have a good night. If the permissions were different then you have the right ones in there now

Sent from my LG-LS995 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: PattyNYC

nevarDeath

May 10, 2010
sorry just to recap.
1.put your deodexed jar file in my "finish" folder.
2.put original unedited odex and jar files in the "put-file-here"
confused as to what "Current-apk/jar, and Current-Odex are set to original files." mean?
the rest is clear

Did anyone ever gets these files to work? I have set the tether_dun_required to 0, tried 2 different hotspot widgets, and made the new APN as suggested in this, but I still get routed to the upgrade page when I connect my tablet to the wifi. Does anyone have suggestions? I don't have a tethering plan, if that makes a difference. Justinswidebody, if you need someone to odex and reodex those files, I'd be happy to finish that.

PattyNYC

Sep 26, 2009
Queens
Did anyone ever gets these files to work? I have set the tether_dun_required to 0, tried 2 different hotspot widgets, and made the new APN as suggested in this, but I still get routed to the upgrade page when I connect my tablet to the wifi. Does anyone have suggestions? I don't have a tethering plan, if that makes a difference. Justinswidebody, if you need someone to odex and reodex those files, I'd be happy to finish that.
If you read this thread properly you would have read that I already did that.

kintwofan

Jul 1, 2011
Irmo, SC
OnePlus 7T
Sony Xperia 1 III

I'm pretty sure the problem is you're still using the default T-Mobile tethering APN. Replace /system/etc/ apn-config.XML with this one and see if it works

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4oaeujupw5xks8l/apns-conf.xml

Sent from my LG-D959 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:41 PM ----------

while using those modded files of course

PattyNYC

Sep 26, 2009
Queens
I'm pretty sure the problem is you're still using the default T-Mobile tethering APN. Replace /system/etc/ apn-config.XML with this one and see if it works

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4oaeujupw5xks8l/apns-conf.xml

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:41 PM ----------

while using those modded files of course

OK just replaced apn-config.XML with the one you edited. I am testing now. Thanks
Update - Unfortunately I still have to mask the user string and edit the value for "tether dun required"

Last edited:

nevarDeath

May 10, 2010

Thanks for assuming I didn't read the thread 'properly'. That's real classy. I actually read through it twice, thinking I had missed something the first time. I'm not a noob that skips over stuff.

Your last post in March:

changed the permission from "rw-rw-r-" to "rw-r-r-" to match the rest of the framework files. I will retry tomorrow afternoon at work. I have work early a.m.. Thanks again for your time and work. When the phone rebooted after the framework files were overwritten the phone seemed to take twice as long to boot up to. Also I checked the properties to make sure they were newly created.

You said you would try again. In earlier posts you made it clear this isn't something you're familiar with. With the files still not giving the desired effect, then dead silence for nearly a month after that, it looked like you had given up. While it's possible this method just won't work, I was hoping you had missed some small thing and that perhaps I could try and perhaps I might succeed where you didn't. So I read it pretty well and made inferences from multiple posts. I'll make sure I'm super specific about my intentions in the future so I don't get accused of things.

PattyNYC

Sep 26, 2009
Queens
Thanks for assuming I didn't read the thread 'properly'. That's real classy. I actually read through it twice, thinking I had missed something the first time. I'm not a noob that skips over stuff.

Your last post in March:

You said you would try again. In earlier posts you made it clear this isn't something you're familiar with. With the files still not giving the desired effect, then dead silence for nearly a
month after that, it looked like you had given up. While it's possible this method just won't
work, I was hoping you had missed some small thing and that perhaps I could try and perhaps I might succeed where you didn't. So I read it pretty well and made inferences from multiple posts. I'll make sure I'm super specific about my intentions in the future so I don't get accused of things.

Relax you quoted me while i was in the process of trying to figure this out. It looked like you didnt read any further. If you didnt quote me I wouldnt have said anything. I was and am willing to try and make this work. Whatever i can do.

kintwofan

Jul 1, 2011
Irmo, SC
OnePlus 7T
Sony Xperia 1 III
OK just replaced apn-config.XML with the one you edited. I am testing now. Thanks
Update - Unfortunately I still have to mask the user string and edit the value for "tether dun required"

Well darn. Sorry that didn't work, maybe Justin will try another method or when I get my flex back from lg I'll look into it.

PattyNYC

Sep 26, 2009
Queens

Links to both the odexed and deodexed files are on the third page of this thread please take a look and see what you can do. That is page number 3 of 5 of total pages.

waynestatemac

Feb 8, 2007
4.4.2 Tether Working - Not counting data toward tethering plan

Guys I just updated to 4.4.2 rooted using the D-Fuse method and have no problem with tethering or it counting tethered data as tethered data. NOTE: I have the unlimited mobile plan with 3 GB tethered data.

I updated android to 4.4.2 according to D-Fuse’s post, created a new APN with “dun” added to the APN type, lastly updated the settings.db file to have tether_dun_required set to 0.

I purchased the Fabio WIFI Tether Router app for another one of my phones so I tried this app with the above settings and it ran perfect! The tmobile app shows 0 MB of data used from my 3GB tethered allotment, while my regular data amount went up. Only thing I noticed is when I reboot the tether_dun_required is set back to 1 and I have to reset that to 0, but its not a big deal. I'll work on this soon but so far it was vary easy to use tethering with 4.4.2 compared to 4.2.2.

PattyNYC

Sep 26, 2009
Queens
Guys I just updated to 4.4.2 rooted using the D-Fuse method and have no problem with tethering or it counting tethered data as tethered data. NOTE: I have the unlimited mobile plan with 3 GB tethered data.

I updated android to 4.4.2 according to D-Fuse’s post, created a new APN with “dun” added to the APN type, lastly updated the settings.db file to have tether_dun_required set to 0. just like bobarino said it's the same process

I purchased the Fabio WIFI Tether Router app for another one of my phones so I tried this app with the above settings and it ran perfect! The tmobile app shows 0 MB of data used from my 3GB tethered allotment, while my regular data amount went up. Only thing I noticed is when I reboot the tether_dun_required is set back to 1 and I have to reset that to 0, but its not a big deal. I'll work on this soon but so far it was vary easy to use tethering with 4.4.2 compared to 4.2.2.
i dont understand what you mean? just run that script at boot and it will automatically make that value "0" and then you are done. you should still try to hide the user agent though. just like bobarino said its the same process for kk

Last edited:
Reactions: bbobarino

waynestatemac

Feb 8, 2007
Everything u done is done exaxctly the same on 4.2

Yes you're right but I was having issues trying this method with JB. The fabio tether would not run correctly, and would not start up a Wi-Fi signal. The programmer of the app even talks about issues with the flex in his description of the app and is working on it fixing it. However using the guide in post 1 and KK the fabio app works perfect and can tether great!

Last edited:

waynestatemac

Feb 8, 2007
i dont understand what you mean? just run that script at boot and it will automatically make that value "0" and then you are done. you should still try to hide the user agent though. just like bobarino said its the same process for kk

PattyNYC,

Thanks for your post! I didn't notice the script to fix the tetherdun resetting issue. I just followed the guide and and tether dun is staying at 0 on reboot now! Thank you! I'm not as concerned with the user agent as I'm using a VPN on my computer and sending encrypted information.

-Mike

virgo09

May 15, 2009
Facebook, google and dropbox not working

hi all, i did all what you all wrote in the post and i can access to internet but the facebook and goolge is not working...for google i need to change my user agent to get it work but for facebook i cant get it work!!! can someone help me?

Last edited:

pflatlyne

Apr 24, 2007
After reading through the G2 forums I found this and it also worked for the T-mobile G Flex.http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51213845&postcount=43 I couldn't get the other method posted here to work at all. All credit goes to xda member mrgodai. Follow the instructions in the link provided and a script will automatically change the value to 0 on boot. You will still need to change the user agent to something mobile or in my case Safari browser. This only allows you to go over your tethering limit. If you don't have unlimted data then this will only work until you reach your data cap.https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/user-agent-switcher-for-c/djflhoibgkdhkhhcedjiklpkjnoahfmg?hl=en-USAlso make sure to edit your APN scroll down to the bottom where it says APN protocol: and make sure it is IPv4 not IPv6 and add "dun" to the line for APN type: default,supl,mms,dun
Outdated method below
Prerequisites
1. Rooted T-mobile G Flex
2. SQlite Editor app($2.99) probably a free alternative out there
3. Hotspot Widget from Google Play
Instructions
1. Open SQlite Editor look in - /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db then click global scroll down to field "tether_dun_required" edit the original value set 1 and change it to 0.
Note: Every time the phone reboots the original value defaults back to 1 so you will need to change the value back to 0 every time the phone reboots.
2. Only enable tether through the widget that you downloaded earlier. For some reason if you use the official t-mobile widget it won't work.
3. I don't have a working G Flex to test but you may have to use UA spoofer for chrome and set the browser to safari or something mobile.

Ive found on my nexus 5 that it throttles windows traffic but not traffic from a linux laptop. It used to work fine on windows if I changed the useragent to something non windows. Not necessarily a mobile browser. I use firefox and change the useragent to the linux version. It stopped working a while ago. I now just use a VPN. It works fine when I vpn off the windows laptop. I think they are inspecting the packets for something specifically windows and they dont recognize the VPN stream. I did have it setup with cyanogen mod,but needed to go back stock.
WIth cyanogen mod,you can do a bit of google searching and find out how to set it up to tunnel over the VPN connected from the phone. In other words,phone connects to VPN and ALL traffic tunnels over that. it does not seem to work the stock kitkat from google. Im getting ready to build my own version. Im just going to rip any carrier stuff out completely. I dont need it. I want ALL traffic to go over unlimited internet,since I have no wifi,and I want that to allways run over the vpn.

maluminse

Mar 14, 2011
Chicago
Redmi K20 / Xiaomi Mi 9T
Long awaited.

Are you ready? It might seem complicated but in reality, the simulated reality, its actually quite simple.

Step 1)

Root your phone. Towelroot is awesome. Google.

Step 2)

Install this wifi tether. All thanks to Fabio who is fab yo.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.snclab.wifitetherrouter

Step 3)

Use mouse 3 to scroll down to flex. OR for advanced users ctrl-f type in flex hit enter
Follow the directions:

https://sites.google.com/site/wifitetherrouter/home/device-configuration

Step 4)

Have a pralines and cream scoop of ice cream. (crucial)

(Im on Sprint!!!!! So give it a go. No promises)

Use at your own risk!!
Not responsible for global warming, obesity or malaria.

peace

:cool:

socalborn

Jan 22, 2011
Orange County
No

Long awaited.

Are you ready? It might seem complicated but in reality, the simulated reality, its actually quite simple.

Step 1)

Root your phone. Towelroot is awesome. Google.

Step 2)

Install this wifi tether. All thanks to Fabio who is fab yo.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.snclab.wifitetherrouter

Step 3)

Use mouse 3 to scroll down to flex. OR for advanced users ctrl-f type in flex hit enter
Follow the directions:

https://sites.google.com/site/wifitetherrouter/home/device-configuration

Step 4)

Have a pralines and cream scoop of ice cream. (crucial)

(Im on Sprint!!!!! So give it a go. No promises)

Use at your own risk!!
Not responsible for global warming, obesity or malaria.

peace

:cool:
This is not a fix, only a band aid. It will not make your tether go back to the way it was. Not for tmobile anyway.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After reading through the G2 forums I found this and it also worked for the T-mobile G Flex.http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51213845&postcount=43 I couldn't get the other method posted here to work at all. All credit goes to xda member mrgodai. Follow the instructions in the link provided and a script will automatically change the value to 0 on boot. You will still need to change the user agent to something mobile or in my case Safari browser. This only allows you to go over your tethering limit. If you don't have unlimted data then this will only work until you reach your data cap.https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/user-agent-switcher-for-c/djflhoibgkdhkhhcedjiklpkjnoahfmg?hl=en-USAlso make sure to edit your APN scroll down to the bottom where it says APN protocol: and make sure it is IPv4 not IPv6 and add "dun" to the line for APN type: default,supl,mms,dun
    Outdated method below
    Prerequisites
    1. Rooted T-mobile G Flex
    2. SQlite Editor app($2.99) probably a free alternative out there
    3. Hotspot Widget from Google Play
    Instructions
    1. Open SQlite Editor look in - /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db then click global scroll down to field "tether_dun_required" edit the original value set 1 and change it to 0.
    Note: Every time the phone reboots the original value defaults back to 1 so you will need to change the value back to 0 every time the phone reboots.
    2. Only enable tether through the widget that you downloaded earlier. For some reason if you use the official t-mobile widget it won't work.
    3. I don't have a working G Flex to test but you may have to use UA spoofer for chrome and set the browser to safari or something mobile.
    There is a very simple program that does it for you and won't screw anything up let me find it

---------- Post added at 01:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 AM ----------

Sorry Justin. Just looked into re-odexing and i'm a litle too nervous to do it without a custom recovery available for a backup. I have no experience in re-odexing. I already screwed up and my G Flex once and it was a real pain to re-flash the stock kdz. I can test I just can't re-odex sorry

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2345767

If you want, you can even practice. I should have the test deodexed services done in about 10 min

---------- Post added at 01:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 AM ----------

Here you go. It's already renamed for that odexer tool so just put it in the the finish folder

https://www.dropbox.com/s/opnvzivmhiic1am/Deodexed_services.jar

---------- Post added at 01:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 AM ----------

Yeah i think i can manage it. thanks

Were you able to odex it back?

here you go. these are it

Thank you. Do you know how to deodex and odex? If so I will make this for you tonight to test if you want. I won't be able to odex back because it has to use your phone to do this. I don't have a T-Mobile flex so it will cause boot loop

here you go. these are it
    do you know if this method works for sprint variant LS995

Try this one http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2647656

Sent from my LG-D950 using Tapatalk