[Q] Xoom: 4.4.2, CM 11: Stingray with Wingray ROM

Search This thread

razorbuzz

Mar 6, 2014
I've searched the forum, and I've read the threads related to CM11 for Xoom that I was able to find. If I missed the answer to this somewhere, please redirect me to it.

I have a Stingray / MZ602 device for which I no longer use Verizon's service. It is a WiFi Xoom for all intents and purposes.
Historically, I recall that Wingray ROM's would work on Stingray devices, just the mobile data wouldn't exist. However, upon trying to install CM11 4.4.2 Wingray ROM on the Stingray I get a massive amount of FC's upon booting the device. I can't even get my Google account signed in because Google Play Services FC's at launch. I have tried the Feb. 16th, March 9th and March 12th versions of the ROM and have the same failed results.

The reason I want the Wingray ROM instead of Stingray is because even with Mobile Data toggled off the lockscreen still displays "Searching for Service" and various mobile-data related services are eating 12-15% of the battery on a daily basis. And that's WITH mobile data toggled off.

Any suggestions on what I can do to get Wingray to install, or otherwise solve the data-using-battery issue?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: MReinke

razorbuzz

Mar 6, 2014
The for this topic really informative

The what is really informative?

The title is clear: Stingray device with a Wingray ROM. It's a Xoom (explicitly stated, and implied by the Stingray/Wingray reference.) It's CM11, Android 4.4.2.

The body is clear: I state my goal (use less battery, stop searching for cellular data signal.) I state my attempt to resolve the issue (install Wingray ROM on a Stingray device.) I state that this worked historically, but does not for this ROM. I stated my attempt to search and inquired for search suggestions/links if I simply missed it. And I request advice for resolution.

webeougher

Jan 24, 2009
The what is really informative?

The title is clear: Stingray device with a Wingray ROM. It's a Xoom (explicitly stated, and implied by the Stingray/Wingray reference.) It's CM11, Android 4.4.2.

The body is clear: I state my goal (use less battery, stop searching for cellular data signal.) I state my attempt to resolve the issue (install Wingray ROM on a Stingray device.) I state that this worked historically, but does not for this ROM. I stated my attempt to search and inquired for search suggestions/links if I simply missed it. And I request advice for resolution.

I leave mine in airplane mode with WiFi on and I have great battery life.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app

razorbuzz

Mar 6, 2014
I leave mine in airplane mode with WiFi on and I have great battery life.

Great advice! I thought of turning off the mobile data but not full airplane (then turn on what I actually use). This removed the "Searching for Service" warning on the lock screen (which was an annoyance - I like a clean screen). "Cell Standby" in battery stats has been greatly reduced from the 12-15%, but it still eats around 4-5%.

Not a huge deal, I get pretty decent battery life. More of an annoyance at this point and something I probably wouldn't be aware of had I not been so hell-bent on getting the "Searching for Signal" removed from the lock screen.

Kingsman1

Dec 27, 2013
Salt Lake City
There is an answer

I've searched the forum, and I've read the threads related to CM11 for Xoom that I was able to find. If I missed the answer to this somewhere, please redirect me to it.

I have a Stingray / MZ602 device for which I no longer use Verizon's service. It is a WiFi Xoom for all intents and purposes.
Historically, I recall that Wingray ROM's would work on Stingray devices, just the mobile data wouldn't exist. However, upon trying to install CM11 4.4.2 Wingray ROM on the Stingray I get a massive amount of FC's upon booting the device. I can't even get my Google account signed in because Google Play Services FC's at launch. I have tried the Feb. 16th, March 9th and March 12th versions of the ROM and have the same failed results.

The reason I want the Wingray ROM instead of Stingray is because even with Mobile Data toggled off the lockscreen still displays "Searching for Service" and various mobile-data related services are eating 12-15% of the battery on a daily basis. And that's WITH mobile data toggled off.

Any suggestions on what I can do to get Wingray to install, or otherwise solve the data-using-battery issue?

Thanks.

I have a Verizon 3G MZ600 That I am running with wingray roms. For the most part these seem to be working pretty well. The latest cm11 Big Part Roms seem to be far more stable (March 17,19,21,23)than the earlier ones. However, there seem to be issues with a lot of Google apps. Honestly though, as I've check out all of the "stable" upgrades, I find that the Omnirom Roms seem to be more stable and are more compatable with Google apps, with much less chance of crashing than the CM11 Roms. I have no issues with searching for service, and with my screen running at full brightness, my CPU at 1700 I'm running a solid 11,500 on Antutu, and getting a real 5½-6½ hours, solid, hard work out of my battery on a full charge.

There are a lot of programs that don't work or play well with either CM11, or Omnirom yet. Just give our developers time. (They're really good guys). Pay close attention-You and I may be able to see some of the things that would help them produce even better custom roms in the future, or that we could even learn enough from them to help them with the programming ourselves

Last edited:

razorbuzz

Mar 6, 2014
Thanks for the reply, Kingsman1

Just give our developers time. (They're really good guys). Pay close attention-You and I may be able to see some of the things that would help them produce even better custom roms in the future, or that we could even learn enough from them to help them with the programming ourselves

I absolutely agree! The developers are fantastic. By no means did I intend anything that I said to come as negative towards them nor their product. It's a minor annoyance, but absolutely not a problem. :good:

Hanging tight with Stingray CM11 for now. I should have time in a couple weeks to run through some fun testing with the device. The other odd problem that's keeping me from doing it now is that BigPart/TWRP's nandroid's fail to restore and I can't do without the tablet at the moment.

I do wonder if I should give ART a shot just to play though. But now I'm just rambling.

**I hope this doesn't come off as defensive. Truly, I'm appreciative of their product and wanted to add extra praise into it.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks.