[Q] Best stable ROM for HD+

Search This thread

sany

Nov 13, 2006
Hi

Just received a Nook HD+ but after quickly browsing and playing for a while, I was not pleased with the stock rom, scrolls were not as smooth as I had seen on my nexus 4 for nexus 7 (maybe I am spoilt), I could notice some jitters and hope a custom ROM could fix this.

When I see in the Android development forum for this device, as usual the very many listing of the ROMs makes it difficult to identify which is the latest and the stable one (I suggest in future we should group the threads as - stable and non-stable which will help Noobs like me to jump into the act immediately).

Can somebody please advise me this bit of information as to which is the most latest custom rom that is stable, I am guessing it could the 10.1 build here [NookHD+] CM10.1 native emmc install Now part of CM Nightlies . Also to a step by step resource starting from rooting to the final flashing of the custom rom.

Also, is it possible to use 'Cyonogenmod installer' instead directly from their website!?

thanks
S

Last edited:

dajmaa

Aug 18, 2012
reply cm

Believe me I tried everything on nook.my initial thoughts were to run on SD card.but you have no official stable ROM for SD card .and the one available from bookbane was quite laggy .I tried both cm 11 and cm 10.2.then I installed on emmc again cm 11,cm 10.1 ,xperia ROM.but trust me the best experience I had so far was from cm10.2 on emmc .works beutiffully without any lag.
Just received a Nook HD+ but after quickly browsing and playing for a while, I was not pleased with the stock rom, scrolls were not as smooth as I had seen on my nexus 4 for nexus 7 (maybe I am spoilt), I could notice some jitters and hope a custom ROM could fix this.

When I see in the Android development forum for this device, as usual the very many listing of the ROMs makes it difficult to identify which is the latest and the stable one (I suggest in future we should group the threads as - stable and non-stable which will help Noobs like me to jump into the act immediately).

Can somebody please advise me this bit of information as to which is the most latest custom rom that is stable, I am guessing it could the 10.1 build here [NookHD+] CM10.1 native emmc install Now part of CM Nightlies . Also to a step by step resource starting from rooting to the final flashing of the custom rom.

Also, is it possible to use 'Cyonogenmod installer' instead directly from their website!?

thanks
S[/QUOTE]

sany

Nov 13, 2006
Believe me I tried everything on nook.my initial thoughts were to run on SD card.but you have no official stable ROM for SD card .and the one available from bookbane was quite laggy .I tried both cm 11 and cm 10.2.then I installed on emmc again cm 11,cm 10.1 ,xperia ROM.but trust me the best experience I had so far was from cm10.2 on emmc .works beutiffully without any lag.

thanks
S
[/QUOTE]

Could you please point me to the source please with instructions to the best experience ROM 10.2!? will this autoupdate to any other new updates from Cyanogenmod?

thanks
S

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006

Could you please point me to the source please with instructions to the best experience ROM 10.2!? will this autoupdate to any other new updates from Cyanogenmod?

thanks
S[/QUOTE]Go to the dummies guide for installing CM10.1/CM10.2 linked in my signature.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using Tapatalk

Reactions: sany

JimJ2Mz

Jan 3, 2013
CM11

Best choice for HD+ is CM11 EMMC from verygreen.
It's officially supported by Cyanogemod and gets nightly updates.
The ROM is smooth and efficient.
There may be tiny little bugs for the ROM, but they won't stop you from using your device as a daily driver.
3/27 is very stable btw.

PMikeP

Jul 12, 2013
CM 10.2.1. vs. CM 11

After reading some of the posts here, I decided to "downgrade" from CM 11 0327 to the last stable CM 10, 10.2.1. (Per dajmaa's suggestion.)

I'd never tried CM 10 before. When I got my HD+ a few weeks ago, I went from the Nook stock ROM direct to a CM11 SD install (0308) and then ended up at CD 11 0327 on emmc the other day.

While CM 11 was usable for me (except for one annoying problem, where I couldn't download mp3's), I see that CM 10 is much more finished. For example, it has zRam implemented. (But maybe KitKat doesn't need that, with it's ostensibly better memory management?) Trebuchet launcher works like it's supposed to in CM 10.2.1, although I liked the ability to enlarge the icons in CM 11. And the font in the status bar seemed bigger to my old eyes in CM 11 than CM 10.

Lagwise, they both seem the same. No lag, although I noticed that CM 10 gets "stuck" every now and then when I switch back and forth quickly between apps. And it keeps wanting to put "Extended Desktop" in the Power menu.

I haven't had it running long enough with my aviation moving maps to see if I get any random reboots like I did with CM 11.

As JimJ2Mz said, 0327 runs well. (Except that I couldn't download podcasts.)

But I'll plan to stay put now until there's some major announcement about CM 11, like a RC or something.

sany

Nov 13, 2006
There may be tiny little bugs for the ROM, but they won't stop you from using your device as a daily driver.
3/27 is very stable btw.

Thanks Jim, I installed 10.2.x after trying out 10.1.3 for some time. I notice, GAPPS crashing randomly once in a while although not that too bad. Sometimes hangs for a while before it gets normal. So I guess there are still some bugs around. So was wondering 10.1.3 must be the one for me unless something stable comes up.

Now I see your post, and wondering why not I try it if there is going to be future updates. Do you feel it is smoother than the 10.1.x and 10.2.x as we all know KitKat is designed to run better on older hardware? If so I will proceed with CM11 and live minor bugs if that is not going to stand in the way of my daily usage like you mentioned.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Thanks Jim, I installed 10.2.x after trying out 10.1.3 for some time. I notice, GAPPS crashing randomly once in a while although not that too bad. Sometimes hangs for a while before it gets normal. So I guess there are still some bugs around. So was wondering 10.1.3 must be the one for me unless something stable comes up.

Now I see your post, and wondering why not I try it if there is going to be future updates. Do you feel it is smoother than the 10.1.x and 10.2.x as we all know KitKat is designed to run better on older hardware? If so I will proceed with CM11 and live minor bugs if that is not going to stand in the way of my daily usage like you mentioned.
When you updated to CM10.2, did you also update to 20120813 gapps? That could be the reason for your gapps problems if you didn't.

And an HD+ is not 'older hardware'.

I recommend CM10.1.3 as the most stable.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app

JimJ2Mz

Jan 3, 2013

In my own experience, yes, CM11 feels much more fluid than the older versions.
4.4 RAM usage is optimized for older hardware, which actually benefits ALL devices, but that doesn't mean that the Nook HD/HD+ is old. It's modern and is still very powerful, just as leapinlar said. Well, not powerful, but not weak. Haha.
And as leapinlar also recommended, CM10.1.3 is indeed stable. Anyway. It's up to you. I've had my experiences with the ROMs and they can differ from others, so it's all up to you whether you want to try CM11 or stick to any other ROM.

sany

Nov 13, 2006
4.4 RAM usage is optimized for older hardware, which actually benefits ALL devices, but that doesn't mean that the Nook HD/HD+ is old. It's modern and is still very powerful, just as leapinlar said. Well, not powerful, but not weak. Haha.
And as leapinlar also recommended, CM10.1.3 is indeed stable. Anyway. It's up to you. I've had my experiences with the ROMs and they can differ from others, so it's all up to you whether you want to try CM11 or stick to any other ROM.

I tried CM11 but it was throwing lots of google app erros on load, I was actually using the same GAPPS file that was on the 10.2.1, is there a used diferent GAPP file for CM11? maybe that caused the error. And also I struggled to go back to the CWM recovery for CM10.1 and 10.2 as it was just stuck at the recovery used for CM11 even after flashing the ver.3 recovery zip several times.

JanSpatschek

Dec 1, 2012
Waidhofen
www.rlbrt.de
Last edited:

JimJ2Mz

Jan 3, 2013
OH GEEZ

I tried CM11 but it was throwing lots of google app erros on load, I was actually using the same GAPPS file that was on the 10.2.1, is there a used diferent GAPP file for CM11? maybe that caused the error. And also I struggled to go back to the CWM recovery for CM10.1 and 10.2 as it was just stuck at the recovery used for CM11 even after flashing the ver.3 recovery zip several times.

DUDE YOU HAVE TO USE GAPPS DEDICATED FOR CM11 (4.4)!
That's a given. You're having errors due to the fact that you're using 4.2 gapps on 4.4!
Follow this guide and FIX EVERYTHING. I followed it myself it everything works perfectly.
Please do ask if you need help on anything. I may be a noob, but I do know some stuff.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2602796

Last edited:

sany

Nov 13, 2006
Thanks Jim

That's a given. You're having errors due to the fact that you're using 4.2 gapps on 4.4!
Follow this guide and FIX EVERYTHING. I followed it myself it everything works perfectly.
Please do ask if you need help on anything. I may be a noob, but I do know some stuff.

Thanks Jim, I will do this. Why do you think I was unable to go back to CWN recovery for 10.1/10.2 - everytime after flashing the old recovery and go into the recovery mode, I still see the ver.6 (of CM11) in action.

S

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

thanks
    S[/QUOTE]Go to the dummies guide for installing CM10.1/CM10.2 linked in my signature.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using Tapatalk
    CM11

3/27 is very stable btw.

OH GEEZ