[Q] .DATA Files in WP8 Isolated Storage

Search This thread

shadowD1026

Feb 3, 2014
Seattle
Hello - I'm doing some security testing on a WP8 application. The isolated storage has a bunch of .DATA files. If I try and view these in notepad ++ it is gibberish. Any ideas on how to view the contents of these files? I'm assuming they are database files.

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
OK, first of all, you already asked this in another thread. DON'T DO THAT.

Without knowing what the app in question is - which I don't really expect you to tell me - I can't much help you. I assume this is a blackbox assessment, or you'd have checked the source code. If the app is managed code, you can try decompiling it (you can try this if it's native code too - IDA Pro supports ARM - but that's obviously more difficult).

The extension .DATA doesn't mean anything. There are only a few common database formats used on WP8, so it might be one of those... but then, it could also be encrypted so even if you figure out the format you'll need the key too. It could just be a flat text file that has been compressed and/or encrypted, for that matter. You could try checking the file for magic numbers, either manually using a hex editor or by checking the file using libmagic (on *nix systems, /bin/file is usually a front-end to libmagic and should be able to tell you if the file is, for example, a known compressed format).

shadowD1026

Feb 3, 2014
Seattle

Without knowing what the app in question is - which I don't really expect you to tell me - I can't much help you. I assume this is a blackbox assessment, or you'd have checked the source code. If the app is managed code, you can try decompiling it (you can try this if it's native code too - IDA Pro supports ARM - but that's obviously more difficult).

The extension .DATA doesn't mean anything. There are only a few common database formats used on WP8, so it might be one of those... but then, it could also be encrypted so even if you figure out the format you'll need the key too. It could just be a flat text file that has been compressed and/or encrypted, for that matter. You could try checking the file for magic numbers, either manually using a hex editor or by checking the file using libmagic (on *nix systems, /bin/file is usually a front-end to libmagic and should be able to tell you if the file is, for example, a known compressed format).

Sorry about posting in multiple spots. I figured I shouldnt ask multiple questions (diff topics) in one thread so I thought I would do a stand alone. Won't happen again. The vendor has told me that these files are encrypted...but I am also trying to get some more info on what that actually means and what they are doing for key storage.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.