FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

Anyone get the M8 using Edge program?

1,616 posts
Thanks Meter: 135
 
By pettigrew95, Senior Member on 3rd April 2014, 03:39 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
3rd April 2014, 08:07 AM |#21  
nicholi2789's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Newport
Thanks Meter: 181
 
Donate to Me
More
I used Edge to get the M8 as well. Verizon got me with their clever marketing and "Edge open-enrollment". I don't use much data at all, so the way I see it is this: I reduced my data plan from 4 gbs to 2 gbs, plus the 10$ credit. My bill will actually be less than what it was before and I have a brand new M8. And in a month if I decide I just can't live without the S5 then I will pay the remaining 200$ to Edge up and get the S5. Win win. The only hitch is my custom Loki'd S4. I plan on keeping it and just paying the fee for not turning in the device. It will prolly be the last custom bootloader samsung i ever own after all.
 
 
3rd April 2014, 08:26 AM |#22  
Karl's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 488
 
More
if i buy the phone out right you still pay the plan subsidies so its damned if you do and damned if you dont
3rd April 2014, 08:29 AM |#23  
nicholi2789's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Newport
Thanks Meter: 181
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl

if i buy the phone out right you still pay the plan subsidies so its damned if you do and damned if you dont

The only way it would be advantageous to buy the phone outright off contract is if you had unlimited data and didn't want to lose it. Or if you did have an upgrade and we're unwilling to do edge.
3rd April 2014, 08:32 AM |#24  
pettigrew95's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag New Jersey
Thanks Meter: 135
 
More
Can someone please explain the subsidies and how you pay for that along with the phone cost? Would be much appreciated as I am very confused...
3rd April 2014, 08:35 AM |#25  
Karl's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 488
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholi2789

The only way it would be advantageous to buy the phone outright off contract is if you had unlimited data and didn't want to lose it. Or if you did have an upgrade and we're unwilling to do edge.

true but most of us phone junkies did just that before edge came along even with out unlimited
3rd April 2014, 08:45 AM |#26  
nicholi2789's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Newport
Thanks Meter: 181
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pettigrew95

Can someone please explain the subsidies and how you pay for that along with the phone cost? Would be much appreciated as I am very confused...

Basically when you sign a two year contract, they give you a subsidized price on a device, a discount if you will for signing a two year contract. With Verizon you can only get a subsidized price on a device every two years. Every two years they offer you an "upgrade" to renew your contract and you get a device again at the subsidized price.
Now the reason people pay full retail for a device is because they aren't eligible for an upgrade/contract renewal and have no other way to get it aside from just paying the full retail price of the device and not the subsidized price.
Then there's the people who still have unlimited data. Verizon quit doing unlimited data over a year ago. They offered tons of people "early upgrades" in exchange for dropping their unlimited data plan. So alot of the people who still have unlimited data are eligible for upgrading their two year contract and getting a new device, but don't do it as it would mean losing the unlimited data plan that they will never get again. So instead of renewing their contract, they just pay full retail for the device and don't have to.
Then there is Verizon Edge. Which really when it comes down to it is a total rip-off. But it does allow for people to upgrade their devices sooner.
Basically the way it works is almost like a car lease. The price of the device (full retail) is broken down into 24 payments. So for example the HTC One M8 is 599$ You could go in to a Verizon store pay 25$ down, with 25$ extra a month on your plan, trade in your old device, and take home a new device. Then after thirty days if you pay at least half the total cost of the device you can edge up again. It's kinda cool, but its total rape, because they are getting your two years of patronage at the normal plan rates AND your paying for retail for the device AND you are trading in your old device which they are just gonna sell as a CLNR device. The one saving grace is that you can get a new device as often as you like pretty much.
Hope that answers your questions.
The Following User Says Thank You to nicholi2789 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nicholi2789 Ad-Free
3rd April 2014, 08:49 AM |#27  
Karl's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 488
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholi2789

Basically when you sign a two year contract, they give you a subsidized price on a device, a discount if you will for signing a two year contract. With Verizon you can only get a subsidized price on a device every two years. Every two years they offer you an "upgrade" to renew your contract and you get a device again at the subsidized price.
Now the reason people pay full retail for a device is because they aren't eligible for an upgrade/contract renewal and have no other way to get it aside from just paying the full retail price of the device and not the subsidized price.
Then there's the people who still have unlimited data. Verizon quit doing unlimited data over a year ago. They offered tons of people "early upgrades" in exchange for dropping their unlimited data plan. So alot of the people who still have unlimited data are eligible for upgrading their two year contract and getting a new device, but don't do it as it would mean losing the unlimited data plan that they will never get again. So instead of renewing their contract, they just pay full retail for the device and don't have to.
Then there is Verizon Edge. Which really when it comes down to it is a total rip-off. But it does allow for people to upgrade their devices sooner.
Basically the way it works is almost like a car lease. The price of the device (full retail) is broken down into 24 payments. So for example the HTC One M8 is 599$ You could go in to a Verizon store pay 25$ down, with 25$ extra a month on your plan, trade in your old device, and take home a new device. Then after thirty days if you pay at least half the total cost of the device you can edge up again. It's kinda cool, but its total rape, because they are getting your two years of patronage at the normal plan rates AND your paying for retail for the device AND you are trading in your old device which they are just gonna sell as a CLNR device. The one saving grace is that you can get a new device as often as you like pretty much.
Hope that answers your questions.

anyone test to see if they try to force you out of unlimited if you try to go to edge?
3rd April 2014, 08:51 AM |#28  
pettigrew95's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag New Jersey
Thanks Meter: 135
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholi2789

Basically when you sign a two year contract, they give you a subsidized price on a device, a discount if you will for signing a two year contract. With Verizon you can only get a subsidized price on a device every two years. Every two years they offer you an "upgrade" to renew your contract and you get a device again at the subsidized price.
Now the reason people pay full retail for a device is because they aren't eligible for an upgrade/contract renewal and have no other way to get it aside from just paying the full retail price of the device and not the subsidized price.
Then there's the people who still have unlimited data. Verizon quit doing unlimited data over a year ago. They offered tons of people "early upgrades" in exchange for dropping their unlimited data plan. So alot of the people who still have unlimited data are eligible for upgrading their two year contract and getting a new device, but don't do it as it would mean losing the unlimited data plan that they will never get again. So instead of renewing their contract, they just pay full retail for the device and don't have to.
Then there is Verizon Edge. Which really when it comes down to it is a total rip-off. But it does allow for people to upgrade their devices sooner.
Basically the way it works is almost like a car lease. The price of the device (full retail) is broken down into 24 payments. So for example the HTC One M8 is 599$ You could go in to a Verizon store pay 25$ down, with 25$ extra a month on your plan, trade in your old device, and take home a new device. Then after thirty days if you pay at least half the total cost of the device you can edge up again. It's kinda cool, but its total rape, because they are getting your two years of patronage at the normal plan rates AND your paying for retail for the device AND you are trading in your old device which they are just gonna sell as a CLNR device. The one saving grace is that you can get a new device as often as you like pretty much.
Hope that answers your questions.

Thank you, that definitely answers most of them. In my scenario, I signed up for Verizon in Sept. of 2012. Last week I went into Verizon and got the M8 through the Edge program. Once I received the phone and I signed the Edge agreements etc. my data plan was bumped from 8 GB a month to 10 GB a month and I'm paying less monthly on my bill. Now logging onto the Verizon wireless website I see my contract end date is still Sept. 2014 so that didn't change, however, my device upgrade date is now 2016 so that changed. So once Sept. 2014 hits I will be off-contract and paying for my service month-to-month and also paying for the M8 if I don't pay it off sooner obviously. So do you think I am getting ripped off using Edge now? P.S. I have a GS3 and about an hour before I went into Verizon I changed devices to my girlfriends old HTC Rhyme and traded that in through Edge for the M8 lol so I still have my GS3.
3rd April 2014, 08:52 AM |#29  
nicholi2789's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Newport
Thanks Meter: 181
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl

anyone test to see if they try to force you out of unlimited if you try to go to edge?

They do. I had a couple friends who both wanted to Edge up and both didn't do it because they would lose unlimited.
3rd April 2014, 08:53 AM |#30  
Karl's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 488
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholi2789

They do. I had a couple friends who both wanted to Edge up and both didn't do it because they would lose unlimited.

gotta love Verizon
3rd April 2014, 09:03 AM |#31  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
nope

Mods, please delete.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes