[Q] cant root i9505 4.4.2

Search This thread
G

goodboybond

Hello everyone,
I apologise if, it probably is, my post is in the wrong place. I am very new to forums and cant seem to find excactly what I'm looking for in this sea of information. I have been trying for over a week now to root my Galaxy S4 which is running 4.4.2 I have followed many tutorials but none seem to work. My latest folly, with ODIN 3.09, is fruitless. Before I go any further I'm wondering if it can be rooted in the first place. My main reason for rooting, as this ROM is quite nice, is to rid the phone of a ton of bloatware and try to improve the battery life, not to mention use superior apps. I'm a novice at this stuff but wouldn't bother others if I could manage it myself. Could some kind soul give me advice on where I'm going wrong, if indeed it is able to be rooted. Also, point me in the correct direction of an appropriate thread if this one is wrong?
Many thanks in advance

Here are the details of my phone (UK version)
GT-i9505
Baseband version - I9505VJUFNB2
Kernel version - 3.4.0-718801
Build number - KOT49H.I9505VJUFNB2

When I'm using ODIN 3.09 I do not get the COM port light up the appropriate colour (yellow I believe) but I do get the "ADDED" text.

Can someone point me in the right direction please? I will be extremely grateful, thank you.

I also have this information on the download screen of my phone, some of which I haven't seen referenced elsewhere, which makes me think it can't be done on this phone or I have missed somnething about the root process.......

PRODUCT NAME: GT-I9505
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Official
KNOX KERNEL LOCK: Ox0
KNOX WARRANTY VOID: 0x0
CSB-CONFIG-LSB: 0x30
WRITE PROTECTION: Enabled
eMMC BURST MODE enabled

Many thanks in advance
Craig

Joku1981

Jun 4, 2012
1. Your phone have to be in DOWNLOAD MODE for flash through ODIN.
2. You can try to install the latest drivers for ur phone: HERE

G

goodboybond

1. Your phone have to be in DOWNLOAD MODE for flash through ODIN.
2. You can try to install the latest drivers for ur phone: HERE

thanks for the reply. my phone is/was in download mode, the last part of my post describes that and what is displayed (on the top left) of the screen and as far as I'm aware (Kies3 installed, Dev mode activated & debugging on) all appropriate drivers are installed.

Joku1981

Jun 4, 2012
thanks for the reply. my phone is/was in download mode, the last part of my post describes that and what is displayed (on the top left) of the screen and as far as I'm aware (Kies3 installed, Dev mode activated & debugging on) all appropriate drivers are installed.

You dont attach any pic of ODIN showing the errors... and what u are using for root ur phone? The unique that works is CF-Auto-root and this will void ur warranty

Last edited:
G

goodboybond

You dont attach any pic of ODIN showing the errors... and what u are using for root ur phone? The unique that works is CF-Auto-root and this will void ur warranty

I'll post a screenshot when I next get a chance. the phone is out of warranty now.

G

goodboybond

Success :victory: !!! After uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers from the link you kindly posted it worked. I now have a rooted S4 i9505 4.4.2 :D Thank You! :good:

Since then I have been trying to educate myself on the ways of the force. My main reason for rooting the phone was to remove the many apps on the phone I had no desire to use. However, it seems I have opened up a large can of worms and may have bitten off more than I can chew :confused: I'm currently trying to work out how to flash the appropriate recovery image on to my phone because it is not supported by Rom Manager All the links to the relevant information I am reading are dated way back to last year and beyond so I am unsure whether I am following the correct procedures. I have used Titanium Back Up to back up all system & user apps successfully. Now I just need to know, definitively, how to install a Rom Manager compatible recovery image for my phone, which is a lot lot harder it seems :eek:. If you or anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful :fingers-crossed:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-04-04-12-25-36.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-04-04-12-25-36.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 61
G

goodboybond

So, I managed to install CWM and I carried out (what I thought was) a back up. I then followed a couple of videos on YouTube on how to install a custom rom, I found this...(sorry I can't post links yet as I'm a newbie) I9505_-_Official_Google_Edition_4.4.2_by_Jamal2367_Final-R1.2 and upon trying to install it I am now stuck in recovery. I've read so damn much about all this in the last few days my brain is fried and I don't know where the hell to go next. I'll attach of a few pics I've taken of the screen in the hope that helps to identify what ****-up I've made. I pray someone can help me with this please :fingers-crossed:

Attachments

• P1000930.jpg
    P1000930.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 47
  • P1000926.jpg
    P1000926.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 40
  • P1000928.jpg
    P1000928.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 35
  • P1000929.jpg
    P1000929.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 33
G

goodboybond

managed to sort it myself with a lot of pain. there was me thinking these forums would help. Yeah. Cya :rolleyes: