[Q] Is this phone still worth buying?

Search This thread

Descendent182

Oct 27, 2013
Hi, someone is trying to sell my gf this phone for about 150 USD, Is it better than a moto g? Is it still worth buying?

XxPixX

Dec 19, 2012
Warsaw
Hi, someone is trying to sell my gf this phone for about 150 USD, Is it better than a moto g? Is it still worth buying?

That's a pretty good price... but I wouldn't buy this phone for $150 (Way too many problems with it to fit in 1 post).
The main problems with it:
-Terrible performance in Samsung Jelly Bean (very slow, slightly laggy in scrolling, not enough RAM to keep 2 apps in memory at the same time)
-Appalling performance in AOSP firmwares (extremely fast, terribly laggy in scrolling) - that's Samsungs fault due to them not giving a rats ass about devs
-Black clipping with the screen
-A legacy phone now (No more official updates, fewer devs)

If your GF doesn't mind a small screen and probably an inferior camera to the Note's then she should get the Moto.

Azeazezar

Aug 5, 2011
ಠ_ಠ

150 would be spot on for value, imho. If the N7000 is in peak condition. Is it better then a moto G? No. I would say the moto G is slightly better. But the note does have some things going for it: Bigger, Better screen (IMHO) and the stylus.

I would only recommend it with a custom rom. Stock firmware is not good.

I would not trade my N7000 for a moto G.

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
Go with the Moto G. You'll get official KitKat, future updates and a fresher community here at XDA. You're basically buying a "dead" device if you choose the Note.

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

Reactions: XxPixX

tatkovladko

May 29, 2012
Sofia
Descriptions above are generally correct, however there are things not to forget (from my personal experience, I still own the Note):

1. Much larger screen
2. SD card slot (mine was effectively 48 GB)
3. Replaceable battery (2 times already replaced for ~$15 a piece)
4. Better camera

If I was forced to choose between the two it'd be real hard for me.

Irwenzhao

Nov 23, 2013
Singapore
Descriptions above are generally correct, however there are things not to forget (from my personal experience, I still own the Note):

1. Much larger screen
2. SD card slot (mine was effectively 48 GB)
3. Replaceable battery (2 times already replaced for ~$15 a piece)
4. Better camera

If I was forced to choose between the two it'd be real hard for me.

I would still go for the Note 2. Not to be bias, but since the Note 2 is getting cheaper now, it's a good choice due to it's screen size, performance and the support u can get here at XDA.

Sent from the fabulous N7105 running AOSB,
From a small country named Singapore,
PM me if u need help,
And "Thank" me if I helped you!

FabreFaction

Oct 22, 2009
www.endoftheinternet.com

I would say it is worth buying for that price.
I haven't played with a Moto G so I don't know if it is better or not.
The Samsung Note is still a great phone is you run the right ROM.
I have had mine since it was released and can't see any great reason to upgrade as it does everything I need it to do.
I don't get my phones on contract, I tend to buy them outright and get a cheap SIM only deal.

There are lots of customised stock ROMs with the Samsung UI and apps for the S-Pen.
Or there are many awesome vanilla-esque tweaked KitKat ROMs such as Omni and Dirty Unicorns.

Watch out for a phone that won't charge.
Could be a damaged USB daughter board (about £35 in the UK at Samsung repair centre).
Or could be a knackered battery (about £30 from Samsung, good alternatives from Anser etc. for under £20)

Also...............
The camera is awesome.
You can slot anything up to 64Gb SD card into the Note, depending upon ROM/Kernel.
It is very well built.
But don't expect any further Samsung support, your support will be through Google and XDA.

Last edited:

Theo Chamalis

Oct 28, 2013
Serres
www.cs.uoi.gr
Note ftw

Having tried both phones (moto g has a friend of mine and i am a proud owner of a Note), i can assure you it is great value for money for the price you said. Here in greece it is sold around 230$ for a used one. You should consider buying it if you want a bigger and better screen (AMOLED = deeper blacks and more vibrant colours), a stylus, more cases, back covers, huge batteries(3000 mAh +) and generally more accessories :). Also keep in mind that with a stock rom (many crapsung apps and stuff in it...) it is a bit sluggish and you better go custom (or else it is not worth it IMHO). Since it is a rather popular phone there are many custom roms with kitkat at the moment. I choose roms compiled with linaro or sabermod toolchains since they are a lot smoother(my note is more buttery smooth compared to my cousin's stock galaxy s4) and more battery friendly than other custom roms. I use the Slimsaber rom and never thought of changing to another phone since then :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Go with the Moto G. You'll get official KitKat, future updates and a fresher community here at XDA. You're basically buying a "dead" device if you choose the Note.

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk