FORUMS

[Kitkat][Nightlies] CM11 Android 4.4 for the Defy(+)

1,322 posts
Thanks Meter: 18,852

Post Reply Email Thread
7th April 2014, 06:15 AM |#3781  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Where is USB "phone portal" mode? When USB is connected, only storage mode could be opened. But I need USB as a LAN network connection, and use computer as the gateway to get out.
7th April 2014, 08:22 AM |#3782  
Thanks Meter: 81

More
Hi, anyone who can help me to revert from cm11 to cm7.2 with the new no bootmenu system please head over to this thread to give me a hand? thanks:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2708771
7th April 2014, 08:33 AM |#3783  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Stuttgart
Thanks Meter: 4,512

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by okij

@Blechd0se: Could you probably give some more infos about this approach? Particulary I have the following questions:

1. Is it possible that swappiness has an influence on the system if there is no virtual memory or zRAM activated? If this is not the case, I think we can leave swappiness at its default 60.
  2. Does setting min_free_kbytes to e.g. 40000 have a negative influence on the system? So far I have no problems with it and even using memory hungry apps like Navigon still works fine. I know that the approach of Linux and Android is to occupy as much RAM as possible to avoid reloading apps and such. Nevertheless, I have the feeling that keeping more than just the default ~3 kBytes free makes the system faster, because if e.g. an app is freshly started, the necessary RAM hasn't to be cleared first (which seems to slow down the system).

If changing min_free_kbytes (and probably also swappiness) really helps to improve the performance on our Defys or to keep performance high even after some days of uptime, it would be worth to implement these settings into CM11 by default.

Therefore it would be great if other users could also try these settings and give some feedback if it has an influence on their systems.

Edit: As user noideaforaname writes here, Sygic (as a memory hungry app) doesn't work anymore if setting min_free_kbytes to about 40000, but still works if setting it to 9216 (9 kBytes), while performance increase is still there.

This should be the size in kbytes, meaning its not 9 kbytes, but rather mbytes. Just wanted to clarify that.

1.) No. If no swap alike device is attached then swappiness should have zero impact on anything. In return, if something is attached than it has an influence.
2.) In short; it depends. It could have a negative influence if the value is set to high, but this also happens if the the value is too low.
Something like 40000 kbytes (= 40 mb) sounds a bit to aggressive for me, normally we should set it to something like 5-10% of the total memory (according
to the redhat source i linked, there are also explanations for other vm settings).
When we prepared the kernel for kitkat we also integrated a similar feature which did exactly the same (turned out it was a bit buggy and needed to be reverted).
If some of you find the sweet spot we are willingly to integrate that, because in the end thats exactly what i made aero control for.
For users to share their "best" configuration to help us improving the device experience for everyone

Just won't happen to soon from my side, since exams are incoming...
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Blechd0se For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Blechd0se Ad-Free
7th April 2014, 02:41 PM |#3784  
Thanks Meter: 1,669

More
Quote:

I can not confirm this bug, a ROM compiled today works without the problems you mentioned.

Another day, another try. A fresh build (from a clean tree), last synced [email protected] Installed 'the normal way' for me (without factory reset, with cleared cache and dalvik, pre-set for ART) dies in a frenzy of messages about systemui and incallui errors. After clearing /data (and cache and dalvik) and reverting build.prop to dalvik the phone boots and seems to work. After enabling ART and allowing the boot process to run to completion the phone hangs with a black screen. Removing the battery to get it unstuck, the phone boots and... dies in a frenzy of messages about systemui and incallui errors.

These results were achieved with a local build from a 'clean' repo - no local changes other than a few culled apps. With dalvik it seems to work, with ART it does not. I'm back to 20140327 for now. If anyone else around here attempted a build around this time AND uses ART it would be enlightening to hear about their experience...
The Following User Says Thank You to YetAnotherForumUser For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift YetAnotherForumUser Ad-Free
7th April 2014, 02:46 PM |#3785  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Thumbs up F2FS on defy
Quarx has created AeroKernel-f2fs branch. Hoping to see a new build with working f2fs.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mayur2j For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mayur2j Ad-Free
7th April 2014, 02:52 PM |#3786  
Flag Düsseldorf
Thanks Meter: 3,554

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blechd0se

This should be the size in kbytes, meaning its not 9 kbytes, but rather mbytes. Just wanted to clarify that.

Of course you are right! I now corrected this in my post.

Thanks a lot for your answers!

Quote:

1.) No. If no swap alike device is attached then swappiness should have zero impact on anything. In return, if something is attached than it has an influence.

OK, Then I will leave it at the default 60 for now.

BTW, I would love to see zRAM option back in CM11, since I used it quite a lot in CM10.x. As far as I know, Quarx disabled zRAM in CM11 because some users said that it would make the system unstable, but IMHO zRAM was running fine and those instabilities are rather caused by overclocking and/or undervolting.

@Quarx: Is there a chance that bring back zRAM option so that the brave among us can test it?

Quote:

2.) In short; it depends. It could have a negative influence if the value is set to high, but this also happens if the the value is too low.
Something like 40000 kbytes (= 40 mb) sounds a bit to aggressive for me, normally we should set it to something like 5-10% of the total memory (according
to the redhat source i linked, there are also explanations for other vm settings).

Our available memory under CM11 is 478 MBytes, so 5-10% is something from 24 to 48 MBytes.

This morning I changed min_free_kbytes to 20480 (20 MBytes, which is a about 4% of the total memory) and this setting so far is running very well.

Regardless if 4%, 5% or maybe 10% of the total memory is the best setting for min_free_kbytes, I'm quite sure that the default setting of 2850 (which is 2,8 MBytes or just 0,6% of our total memory) is far too low. As explained in the redhat source you linked, this is likely to prevent the system from reclaiming memory, can result in system hangs and OOM-killing multiple processes.

Quote:

When we prepared the kernel for kitkat we also integrated a similar feature which did exactly the same (turned out it was a bit buggy and needed to be reverted).
If some of you find the sweet spot we are willingly to integrate that, because in the end thats exactly what i made aero control for.
For users to share their "best" configuration to help us improving the device experience for everyone

You are right, we need some more feedback from the users to find the best setting for min_free_kbytes.

So people, please try different settings for min_free_kbytes with AeroControl (via Memory Settings -> VM Settings) and give some feedback after some time of usage.

To make a start: So far I tried 40960, 10240 and (currently) 20480 and all work well here, my Defy+ generally reacts better (i.e. less system hangs) than with the default 2850 setting.

Quote:

Just won't happen to soon from my side, since exams are incoming...

Good luck with your exams!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to okij For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift okij Ad-Free
7th April 2014, 03:25 PM |#3787  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Telephony Problem
I just installed the 1st April Build and the device is getting rebooted automatically to recovery mode. When the I reboot the device to System. It gives an error message saying that -

Telephony problem: The device was rebooted due to a problem in phone's telephony layer.

Also whenever the device is connected via USB in debugging mode, the touch become unresponsive.
7th April 2014, 04:16 PM |#3788  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
the 26 March build has not the "reboot the device to System" bug. 28 build has it.

always "phone's telephony layer" ril reboots after some hours. Yesterday evening i disabled gps completly and no more ril reboots since then.
7th April 2014, 04:47 PM |#3789  
Thanks Meter: 546

More
battery
Hi guys and @okij @Blechd0se @Quarx

I'm on 14-03-27 and experience a couple of problems that might be battery and/or USB related:
  1. Reboot while on USB charging brings lots of problems:
    - either a bootloop
    - or after a reboot the device doesn't charge anymore
    - and ADB via Windows CMD doesn't connect to device (tried kill-server)
    - and I just hud a reboot into bootloop while trying to save a log via catlog app.
    - there has been a close to similar report for wall charger by Nitro_100
    Log before reboot: 2014-04-07.1620_reboot.while.charging.txt
    Kmsg before reboot: 2014-04-07.1623_kmsg_reboot.while.charging.txt
    Catlog after reboot: 2014-04-07-16-32-34_after.reboot.while.on.usb.txt
  2. When switching batteries my device froze multiple times and I had to reboot 3-5 times with the old battery and charge some time to get it working again, plus percentage couldn't be determinded anymore. (Disclaimer: I updated Xposed right before the incident happend but I reverted the version and it happened again.)
    Log: 2014-03-30-12-55-52_reboots.after.battery.change.txt
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to measel For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift measel Ad-Free
7th April 2014, 06:08 PM |#3790  
Thanks Meter: 1,097

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherForumUser

With dalvik it seems to work, with ART it does not.

Small note: I never tried ART, only dalvik.
7th April 2014, 06:55 PM |#3791  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymfreak7855

I'm finding issues with Snapchat. I don't think it's to do with the app because plenty of third party camera apps work but this is the only one I'm having issues with. It must be something to do with the rom. I have a MB525 with a bayer camera module.

could it be to do with the texturing? Snapchat has a lot of different effects and features in the app.

attached is a screenshot of whats going on.

This issue was mentioned early on but I didn't find a solution for it. I'm using the latest build 04-07 and I've tried disabling HWA for Snapchat and Camera but both results in Snapchat showing a black screen. HWA was previously turned on for the two, but the double screen that @gymfreak7855 mentioned shows up instead.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
baseband switcher, led, quarx for world emperor, quarx is still a god

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)