[Q] Should I get the Xperia SP against the Moto G ?

Search This thread

x.marX

Apr 21, 2012
Hi !
I have an Xperia S which is dead now :crying: and am looking for a new phone at the moment.

Originally, I was looking at the Moto G 16gb but its got a very bad camera and lack of upgradable storage. So, I'm wondering whether the SP have a good camera or not !
BTW, what about the 4.4 availability ?
Is there any stable 4.4 custom ROM for SP ?

toksick

Oct 25, 2012
Mumbai
Sp is a good phone. Has a great camera. And feels premium to hold. In fact when my friend got it, I liked it so much that I sold my Galaxy s4 and bought an xperia z. Hope this helps.
Plus Sony makes camera modules for a lot of other manufacturers like Apple iPhones. Samsung galaxy series. So u almost always get a. Good camera with a mid range and higher sony phones

Sent from my C6603 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: x.marX

x.marX

Apr 21, 2012
Sp is a good phone. Has a great camera. And feels premium to hold. In fact when my friend got it, I liked it so much that I sold my Galaxy s4 and bought an xperia z. Hope this helps.
Plus Sony makes camera modules for a lot of other manufacturers like Apple iPhones. Samsung galaxy series. So u almost always get a. Good camera with a mid range and higher sony phones

Yeah but I read a review saying that the 8 mp camera of the Xperia SP is very poor compared to that of the Xperia L.

I work in a machine design company and I have to take a lot of photos and videos of our products for making quick demos and filing the records. That implies I need a decent camera phone.
The Xperia S and the Samsung Wave I had were good performers in that regard.

x.marX

Apr 21, 2012
I would be checking out the Xperia SP and the Galaxy S4 Mini and may be some LG phones today at this new shopping mall that opened in my city. If I'm not happy, I'll be going for the Moto G.

Its gonna be a good night :)

MagicMagicD

Jun 12, 2013
For the price you'd be hard pushed to beat the Moto G -- at only £120 sim free for the 8GB model it's an absolute bargain, but it's also a solid performer and has already been updated to 4.4.

Honestly speaking, you'd have to be getting a very good deal to make buying an Xperia SP now a good choice as it's already a year old and even at best would only be officially supported for another six months, which means that bug fixes and other software updates will dry up soon.

no_username_available

May 14, 2013
Toronto
Yeah but I read a review saying that the 8 mp camera of the Xperia SP is very poor compared to that of the Xperia L.

I work in a machine design company and I have to take a lot of photos and videos of our products for making quick demos and filing the records. That implies I need a decent camera phone.
The Xperia S and the Samsung Wave I had were good performers in that regard.
if you need a good camera, why not go for the Z1 or Z1 compact?

wiidbzxt

Jan 13, 2011
Cuautitlán Izcalli
Xperia SP's camera is a huge disappointment, if that's a big thing for you, looks elsewhere. I read that GS4 mini's camera is pretty good (though, it's only 5mpx, if I recall). Where XSP shines is in it's processing power, since it has a decent processor and Adreno 320 GPU, which GS4 mini lacks. However, the lack of KitKat and 1GB of RAM make the Xperia SP hard to recommend.

You should also check Xperia ZR, where I live, it is just $10-$15dls more expensive than Xperia SP. xperia ZR is water-proof and has a 13MPX with a Quad-Core processor.

Darth_Xardas

Jan 2, 2012
Xperia Sp camera its no so good. It you want a good camera phone buy a lumia 920/925 or a Galaxy s3 it you want android.

Enviado desde mi C5303 mediante Tapatalk

x.marX

Apr 21, 2012
I would be checking out the Xperia SP and the Galaxy S4 Mini and may be some LG phones today at this new shopping mall that opened in my city. If I'm not happy, I'll be going for the Moto G.

Its gonna be a good night :)
Didn't happen, they closed their shop early coz its the weekend :(
For the price you'd be hard pushed to beat the Moto G -- at only £120 sim free for the 8GB model it's an absolute bargain, but it's also a solid performer and has already been updated to 4.4.

Honestly speaking, you'd have to be getting a very good deal to make buying an Xperia SP now a good choice as it's already a year old and even at best would only be officially supported for another six months, which means that bug fixes and other software updates will dry up soon.
I'm from India and I'm getting the Xperia SP for ~300 USD (18000 INR) and yeah the Moto G 16 GB is available here for ~233 USD.
As for updates, I don't care as long as there is custom ROMs available.
if you need a good camera, why not go for the Z1 or Z1 compact?

Xperia SP's camera is a huge disappointment, if that's a big thing for you, looks elsewhere. I read that GS4 mini's camera is pretty good (though, it's only 5mpx, if I recall). Where XSP shines is in it's processing power, since it has a decent processor and Adreno 320 GPU, which GS4 mini lacks. However, the lack of KitKat and 1GB of RAM make the Xperia SP hard to recommend.

You should also check Xperia ZR, where I live, it is just $10-$15dls more expensive than Xperia SP. xperia ZR is water-proof and has a 13MPX with a Quad-Core processor.
S4 Mini have a 8 mp camera as well.

Xperia ZR was actually my first target but its expensive here (~430 USD).

Xperia Sp camera its no so good. It you want a good camera phone buy a lumia 920/925 or a Galaxy s3 it you want android.

Enviado desde mi C5303 mediante Tapatalk
After dropping the ZR from my list, I thought about getting the S3 but I hear its battery backup is not that great and yeah, I hate the rounded design Samsung uses. I think their Bada phones look much much better.

BTW, there are some rumers about the Xperia M2 and Xperia G being priced really low to compete with the Moto G. I wonder how low Sony would go in pricing them !

x.marX

Apr 21, 2012
Xperia SP's camera is so pathetic that I am sure Moto G's pics will be much better than SP's. The reason I bought SP is its processing power and awesome design.
Is it that bad ?

BTW, if mediatek guys were a bit more "open", the Huawei Ascend g700 would have been a great buy for me....great camera, lots of RAM, good IPS Lcd display etc. But,AFAIK, there is no custom ROMs or any other development for that phone because there is minimal support from mediatek for custom android development projects :(

le grande magnetto

Jan 21, 2012
Samsung Galaxy A71
Redmi Note 10 Pro
You are concerned about SP camera but not about moto G camera? Haha. My friend has moto G, ant trust me, if you need (seems like that's your main priority) decent camera dont eve think about moto G. I have chosen SP over moto G and they both are about the same price.
Yet if you have doubts about SP camera, you can look into S3/S4mini (I considered those as options for me, but SP in overall seemed a better choice) or lumia 920 (I also considered this, but I need option too record my calls and WPs cant offer this yet L920 camera is amazing and I would assume price would be similar if its still available in sale).

x.marX

Apr 21, 2012
You are concerned about SP camera but not about moto G camera? Haha. My friend has moto G, ant trust me, if you need (seems like that's your main priority) decent camera dont eve think about moto G. I have chosen SP over moto G and they both are about the same price.
Yet if you have doubts about SP camera, you can look into S3/S4mini (I considered those as options for me, but SP in overall seemed a better choice) or lumia 920 (I also considered this, but I need option too record my calls and WPs cant offer this yet L920 camera is amazing and I would assume price would be similar if its still available in sale).

I thought Moto G's camera was betther than SP's :eek:

The problem with Samsung is that their designs look so awful to me. Sony and HTC are much much better.

I'm an Opera Mini/Mobile/Desktop addict, can't use any other browser (lots of bookmarks and notes in the Opera in my account) and sadly, that rules WP devices like 920.

My options currently:
1. Blackberry Z10. If it has an android ROM, I would be going for this one but there isn't any AFAIK.
2. Upcoming Xperia G
3. Xperia SP
4. Xperia ZR
5. Samsung GS4 Mini
6. Samsung GS3

le grande magnetto

Jan 21, 2012
Samsung Galaxy A71
Redmi Note 10 Pro
trust me

The problem with Samsung is that their designs look so awful to me. Sony and HTC are much much better.

I'm an Opera Mini/Mobile/Desktop addict, can't use any other browser (lots of bookmarks and notes in the Opera in my account) and sadly, that rules WP devices like 920.

My options currently:
1. Blackberry Z10. If it has an android ROM, I would be going for this one but there isn't any AFAIK.
2. Upcoming Xperia G
3. Xperia SP
4. Xperia ZR
5. Samsung GS4 Mini
6. Samsung GS3
Good to know that we are on the same track about Samesong. :D I hate them.

Z10 was an option for me too, but it was too little hardware for the the price for me, so I left it out yet it seems to work flawlessly in youtube videos. Also it is very sexy device and since 10.2.1 OS update it supports .apk files so basically its an android with Blackberry stuff. Why would you need a ROM for Z10? Just for sake of flashing something or there is serious reason?

Xperia G seems ok. Is it known when it will be available? Are you ready to wait (and possibly wait to find out if you would afford it when its released)?

AudioAw2-12

Nov 22, 2013
Is it that bad ?

BTW, if mediatek guys were a bit more "open", the Huawei Ascend g700 would have been a great buy for me....great camera, lots of RAM, good IPS Lcd display etc. But,AFAIK, there is no custom ROMs or any other development for that phone because there is minimal support from mediatek for custom android development projects :(

If your deciding factor is based the camera, I suggest you check this out:
http://www.gsmarena.com/piccmp.php3?idType=3&idPhone1=5831&idPhone2=5364

As you can see, the SP may have a bigger pixel count but the image is over processed and has a lot of chromatic noise. If you need to zoom into a picture to look at small text, it may not be an ideal phone for you.

However, as an overall package (build quality, performance, battery life) it's probably the best phone in its price range.

x.marX

Apr 21, 2012

Z10 was an option for me too, but it was too little hardware for the the price for me, so I left it out yet it seems to work flawlessly in youtube videos. Also it is very sexy device and since 10.2.1 OS update it supports .apk files so basically its an android with Blackberry stuff. Why would you need a ROM for Z10? Just for sake of flashing something or there is serious reason?

Xperia G seems ok. Is it known when it will be available? Are you ready to wait (and possibly wait to find out if you would afford it when its released)?
Samesong :laugh: apt name :good:

Yes, I love the launchers for the Android and the look and feel of different ROMS like MIUI, CM etc. Its so amazing. I don't think the BB10 would support that much of customization :confused:

I'm waiting for the Xperia G..hope that I can afford it.

If your deciding factor is based the camera, I suggest you check this out:
http://www.gsmarena.com/piccmp.php3?idType=3&idPhone1=5831&idPhone2=5364

As you can see, the SP may have a bigger pixel count but the image is over processed and has a lot of chromatic noise. If you need to zoom into a picture to look at small text, it may not be an ideal phone for you.

However, as an overall package (build quality, performance, battery life) it's probably the best phone in its price range.
The Moto G and the SP look so awful, doesn't it ? Samsung S4 mini's pic look really nice and detailed even matching the iPhone 5.

Gamer R

Jan 19, 2012
@x.marX

Go get Moto X.
Period.

I don't know where you reside , but if you have got access to Moto Maker , get a customized Moto X. The camera and the processioning power is alot better than Xperia SP. But Xperia SP's design is far better than its competitors.

But since Xperia SP is getting old, I think Moto X would be a better choice regarding the future updates , camera and performance.

x.marX

Apr 21, 2012
@x.marX

Go get Moto X.
Period.

I don't know where you reside , but if you have got access to Moto Maker , get a customized Moto X. The camera and the processioning power is alot better than Xperia SP. But Xperia SP's design is far better than its competitors.

But since Xperia SP is getting old, I think Moto X would be a better choice regarding the future updates , camera and performance.

We have Moto X here but the full fledged Moto Maker won't be ready any time soon.

I'm not a big fan of Moto X btw.
1. "Rounded design" - not my cup of tea
2. Memory not expandable - I have a lot of FLAC audio files
3. Non-removable battery

Gamer R

Jan 19, 2012
We have Moto X here but the full fledged Moto Maker won't be ready any time soon.

I'm not a big fan of Moto X btw.
1. "Rounded design" - not my cup of tea
2. Memory not expandable - I have a lot of FLAC audio files
3. Non-removable battery

If possible try to save enough money for Xperia ZR or LG Optimus G. Since both the product are getting pretty old, you may have huge discounts on them.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Xperia SP's camera is so pathetic that I am sure Moto G's pics will be much better than SP's. The reason I bought SP is its processing power and awesome design.
    trust me

My options currently:
    2. Upcoming Xperia G
    3. Xperia SP
    4. Xperia ZR
    5. Samsung GS4 Mini
    6. Samsung GS3