I guess development is dead?

Search This thread

akellar

Jan 9, 2011
Iowa
Actually xposed provides just about everything any custom rom does. BTW, you posted in the wrong section.

Sent from my XT1080 using xda app-developers app

Summersett

Apr 24, 2011
I guess this phone is not what everyone wants it to be. Exposed and Gravity Box can only do so much for a crack flasher.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
What improvements would you like to see? Request and maybe someone will be up for the challenge. Maybe not to create an entire ROM, but flashable zips at the least.

Summersett

Apr 24, 2011
I came from the Vivid, where I was used to flashing something every other day too, so I know the pain of your withdrawals! I'm not sure battery life can be pushed too much farther on this thing though, and there isn't really any issues to fix. Once 4.4.3 appears I'm sure there will be people porting it.

bigv5150

Jan 8, 2011
The biggest problem from the start was people saying the stock OS was perfect and didn't need more than what exposed modules could do. Also this phone has 2 major stock apps that are loved by most touch less control and active notifications. For me that is a deal breaker in a custom ROM. Development is driven by want if the majority of people don't want custom ROMs why build them.

Reactions: Piaband

br0adband

Mar 28, 2008
At this point just having root would be like winning a lottery with 4.4, and of course 4.4.2 would be nice as long as it's rootable as well. I got no real issues with the phone itself (the Droid Mini), and I have to admit I'm just sick and tired of dealing with custom ROMs (been doing that for over a decade now on 100+ devices), it's pretty much boring to me nowadays.

I just want a device that works, is rootable so I can run some things that legitimately require it (Titanium Backup primarily, a few others), a kernel that allows for some better performance adjustments and governors with tools like SetCPU or nowadays I prefer Trickster MOD for that stuff, and gives me battery life that I can reasonably count on, and a few tweaks here and there - my one big tweak that I really miss nowadays is using the volume buttons to skip tracks during music playback (screen off) since Motorola just won't put a damned TRRS headphone jack in their devices that allows for actual remotes that work on the headset cords - wonder why they refuse to do that so steadfastly... makes no damned sense to me. Samsung and Apple understand it matters and there's no issue with their devices, can't speak for HTC since I don't mess with their stuff anymore but it sure would have been nice to have proper volume/playback controls for these Motorola devices.

4.4 on the Droid Mini isn't doing that, obviously, at least not as well as I'd hope for battery life but I came from a Droid MAXX before it so I suppose there's nothing out there that comes close to that level of native battery life except the LG G2 and I haven't touched one of those.

As far as development goes, I would tend to lean towards it's basically dead for the Droid Ultra/MAXX/Mini at this point even in spite of them being so closely related to the Moto X/Moto G in some respects (X8 chipset, etc). It's a shame I suppose but that's how it goes.

Piaband

May 18, 2011
I'm happy with just root. I use to have the flash itch, but not with this device. Custom Roms are great when they solve a real problem. They're a huge pain in my butt too though. I don't have any real issues with my maxx, so I wouldn't want to deal with the custom rom headaches.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

pujdo1

Aug 26, 2011
The biggest problem from the start was people saying the stock OS was perfect and didn't need more than what exposed modules could do. Also this phone has 2 major stock apps that are loved by most touch less control and active notifications. For me that is a deal breaker in a custom ROM. Development is driven by want if the majority of people don't want custom ROMs why build them.

/sign, good post. nothing else to add.

ps: and if you should remember the moto x development threads, as this phone is actually the same phone as the moto x, only with bigger screen... so i dont see a "problem" with flashing a moto x rom...

radzer0

Mar 13, 2010
Prove a word that has come from anyone lenovo and not google. Lenovo has a great track record of not updating even current android phones or tablets. There a hardware company and that is all they have been for quite some time. They dont even put together the images for there windows based computers anymore. Its an outside company that lenovo contracts too than loads the drives.

Lenovo wont even sell us any phones they make no matter what. A few years back there was a few models people wanted to see here and we never saw them other than graymarket. The motorola purchase is for the IP portfolio.

pujdo1

Aug 26, 2011
Prove a word that has come from anyone lenovo and not google. Lenovo has a great track record of not updating even current android phones or tablets. There a hardware company and that is all they have been for quite some time. They dont even put together the images for there windows based computers anymore. Its an outside company that lenovo contracts too than loads the drives.

Lenovo wont even sell us any phones they make no matter what. A few years back there was a few models people wanted to see here and we never saw them other than graymarket. The motorola purchase is for the IP portfolio.

i cant see the problem of lenovo buying motorola. seriously. i mean as what we have seen to now, motorola was to google always the unwanted child which google tried to get rid of...
lets see what the future brings and we dont know how much lenovo will interfere in motorolas development (there will be some, thats sure).
the ip portfolio will stay at google. lenovo will only have some license rights to use them in their phones without haveing the fear of paying high patent fines to google. this deal was part of the contract lenovo did with google....

kanagadeepan

Jul 27, 2011
Sivakasi
I think we have to just wait and watch, what Lenovo is going to do with Motorola.
Following three good things may happen
[1] Motorola phones getting SD slots again like all Lenovo phones.
[2] Motorola phones to come with bigger batteries NOT JUST IN DROID MAXX series like earlier, as Lenovo phones also have bigger batteries [P780 has 4000mAh battery)
[3] Motorola phones to reach much more markets especially in Asia and Europe.
[4] More better and affordable DualSIM phones (again NOT for USA) for Asia, Europe and Brazil

But following things are in UN-SURE mode
[1] Moto's faster updates MAY NOT continue (esp after Lenovo becomes boss of Motorola) as Lenovo has bad update history (if one exists in first place)
[2] Unlock BL program may NOT continue esp for GSM handsets sold in Asia and Europe, as I don't think Lenovo cares about Dev support

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.